Author Topic: New Trapdoor Questions  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Trapdoor Questions
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
Howdy

Dunno if I should post this here or in the Barracks, but I decided to post it here.

Just bought a nice old Trapdoor. First one I have ever owned. I have some questions.

First, some pictures.

OK.

From what little reading I have done, this appears to be the 1879 variation of the Model 1873. I looked up the SN (2181XX) on one of the on line serial number finders and it spit back a manufacture date of 1883.

First Question: How were these originally finished? I have seen some photos that seem to show varnish. There is not a lick of varnish or any other surface finish on this gun anywhere.

Second Question, related to the first question: The cartouche. Most of the photos I have seen seem to show the cartouche has been stamped in. This cartouche, which I think is trying to say 1883, looks a bit different. What I am thinking is somebody refinished the stock at some point, stripping all the original varnish off and sanding the wood down. It looks like they almost sanded away the cartouche, only a tiny bit of the original varnish is left in the stamping, leaving it barely legible. That's what I'm hoping, I'm hoping somebody did not fake the cartouche.

Third Question: What is the cartouche on the bottom, on the wrist? I can't make it out at all.

Fourth Question: Am I correct about the this being the unofficial model of 1879? From what I have read, the receiver should be a bit wider than the barrel, and it is.

Fifth Question: I believe this is the Buckhorn Sight? Because of the design I am unable to slide it left or right for windage unless I slide it forward a bit, raising it, and clearing the semicircular cutout from the round post. I suspect that is the way it is.

Sixth Question: Please tell me about the proof marks. Particularly the 'R' at the center of the barrel and the 'P' almost at the receiver. Does the 'VP' near the eagle head stand for Verified Proof like with a Colt?

Seventh Questions: The hammer has pounded the SN a bit. Looks like the trigger was pulled with the trapdoor open. There is a recess in the stock where the tumbler sits when the block is closed. Is this normal?

Eighth Question: The barrel shows about the same amount of weathering as the rest of the metal, but the bore is almost brand new. Shiny, no pitting, just a few scratches. Perhaps it was rebarreled at some time?

Ninth Question: Back to the stock finish. Plenty of deep old blackened digs in the stock, too deep to sand out if perhaps it was refinished?

Tenth Observation: Repair to the stock between the barrel bands. Typical?

General Question: I guess I am wondering if perhaps this Trapdoor has had some parts replaced over time. Not a complaint, just wondering.

I had about 20 rounds on hand, Winchester brass, 405 grain Montana Precision .458 diameter bullets, Winchester Large Pistol primers, 72.5 grains of Schuetzen FFg, .030 vegetable wad, sorry, dunno how much compression. Considering the combat trigger and my miserable eyesight, it shoots very well. I decided not to slug the bore and just shot up some ammo I had on hand.

Our range is only 100 yards, and I have trouble seeing a bullseye at that range with iron sights. At fifty yards it was shooting pretty high and to the right. At 100 yards still high and to the right. I tried compensating by holding a low 6 O'Clock hold and was able to get two bullets into a six inch bright orange bullseye at 50 yards. At 100 yards it was all I could do to keep it on the paper. No slight on the rifle, lack of skill of the rifleman.

Overall I am very pleased with the rifle.

Any and all comments gratefully accepted.

P.S. My comments about the sight are because I think it would be a good thing if I could move the sight a tad to the left for windage, however sliding it forward up the ramp to allow that would make it shoot even higher than it does now.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
Re: New Trapdoor Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
I believe those rifles, when issued were sighted in at 250 yds. Thats what mine was sighted in for. I replaced the front sight by driving out the 1/16" pin that holds it in (just far enough to pull the front sight free). I made another one and drilled a hole 1/8" up from the bottom edge, then filed it down (the bottom edge) until the holes lined up and replaced the pin. I also had to put another forestock on it as it had been "sporterized".  If you go to  Trapdoors .com  he can probably tell ya quite a bit about yer rifle. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
North Cape Publications has a book titled "The .45-70 Springfield" by Poyer and Riesch,275 pages of part by part descriptions of a trapdoor,$19.95.There are 4 pages on "finishes" alone.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:40:36 AM »

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
Wildman, thanks. I have considered putting in a taller front sight. A little too soon to actually do so, but I realize it is a possibility.

JimBob, thanks. I forgot to ask about good books on the trapdoor.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com