Author Topic: Sites for the Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block (Silhouette Model)  (Read 29432 times)

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sites for the Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block (Silhouette Model)
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
I just ordered some Postell's and the Saeco 645's from MBW so in a week or two I should be back in business.

Just an FYI, the MBW measurements on two of the bullets I was considering.
                            Bullet length                nose diameter
535 Postell                    1.420"                        0.446"
540 Jones                     1.445"                        0.447"

Willy

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »
Wagon Box Willy,

I am getting on this much too late .... but to your crossed sticks pic I would add that another person online used door stops which he had lathed the 'stopper' end down to a point.

I think I would bed them in a thin epoxy and wrap the outsides with some kind of safety wire to avoid splitting the dowels ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
Considering your $1.00 round loads.

MBW bullets are approx .52 each, plus or minus a few cents.
Primers run about .10
Powder is about .10 a round or more.

Heck if I could pay someone .28 cents for each round over cost, I would not go thru the agrevation of trying to set compression dies, seating and crimping dies and making wads etc.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
Capt Dan,

No doubt I am blessed ... but I am slowly getting ready to reload my own so that I do not 'wear out my welcome'....

So far, I have bought a used RCBS Single Stage press, a .45 Schofield die kit, have on order a  .45-70 die kit.

Next month I have hopes for a Thumbler Tumbler, a Harbour Freight scale that will measure grains. and in the future a capper for primers of some sort ...

My immediate goal is to be able to tumble them clean, remove and inspect the primers and then send them to my friend ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »
WWE, I had just ordered some media and I was going to try it in my vibratory tumbler but when I read your thread and mention of the Thumbler I went to HF to find the link for their tumbler, which I know a bunch of folks here use.  Lo and behold the dual drum tumbler was on sale for $49 and I found a 20% off coupon.  Flat rate shipping ends tonight as does the coupon and the tumbler is backordered but I figured what the heck. 

Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler
Item: 67632
used coupon code: 20GIFT (-$10.00)
1 (x) $49.99
Discount: -$10.00
$39.99

Replacement Belt for the Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler
Item: 93835
   4 ea   
$2.99

$11.96
Subtotal    $51.95
Shipping    $6.99
Grand Total    $58.94
Order Confirmation

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 02:50:58 AM »
Willy,

I have spent all my fun tickets for January, and will have to wait for February (I recently on a fixed income and am learning to deal with it).

I think I will look at Harbor Freight and Craigslist for 'deals'.

'Cause I need to buy a scale (Harbor freight has one that weighs lbs, ounces, grams and grains for under $10.00), and the big Thumbler for whatever I can get it for ... prices run from $160 used to $200.00 new ..... and I think March may see a primer 'capper'.

This spring will see the purchase of a spotting scope ... for right now I will have to borrow one.

But  I want to affix the scope to the side of a shooting box so that when the door drops down the scopeshould be aimable from that fixed spot and will stay mounted on the door ... that is the plan anyway ...

In the mean time I want to make a shooting box out of  Lyptus (it has properties very similar to teak .... )

We have a Harbor Freight that is here in South Sacramento, and I believe if you pick it up from the store there is no shipping fees .... at least that is what I am telling myself since I can't make the sale ...

This is the tumbler I dream of and hope to buy used (read chap):

http://www.rocktumblers.com/rock-tumblers/rotary-rock-tumblers/thumlersheavydutyrotarytumbler15lb.cfm

NCOWS #3403

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
I just retired from my job after 40 yrs but have a year or two of consulting before I have to live on a fixed income so I have to buy most of my toys now :)

This is the scope I'm looking at and it seems to get great reviews.
Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 100mm

The box idea sounds fine for prone but what about when you're sitting? 

Willy

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Shot high power for years and learned one thing.  There is a lot of difference between at the time a $100 scope and a $500 scope.
If you know anyone that has one, look thru it at the range, at all the different ranges.  I have found until you spend big bucks you loose resolution with variable I pieces.   If you do not know anyone with the scope.  Find one a local dealer, take it outside and test it out looking at stuff from 10 yards to 1000 or so.  Use full range of magnification checking resolution.  Then be a good guy and pay that dealers mark up vs ordering sight unseen mail order.

If mail order is only option, be sure of return policy you may want to send it back after 1st trip to the range.

As far as mounts go.  Places like champions choice have scope stands.  A high master buddy of mine made his from water pipe.

Kinda rube goldberg  base was probably 12 - 14 inches Kinda like an E with the center bar flipped to the outside forming 3 legs that had an elbow pointing down probably a 2 inch nipple with caps on all three.  Cannot remember exactly how he did the center.  I seem to recall a 4 way T with one branch straaght up and the other 3 in the same plane to form a horizontal t.  May just have had 2, 3 way Tees.  Made come kind of a U bolted slding mechanism that had a V on one side that he used big screw radiator clamps and an inner tube to protect the scope body.  Had a high dollar Kowa TSN 1 that I bought from him when he bought either a TSN3 or 4 with the flourite lenses and yes they did make a difference.

NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
Willy the Konus 80 is a good scope. I think the 100 may be a tad to much of a good thing.
 A stand will make or break a spotting scope, so get a good one that's solid as a rock. This one is fantastic and is made by a bpcr shooter.http://www.castingstuff.com/new_products.htm
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 11:15:30 PM »
Wow, that is a lot more substantial stand than anything I ever saw on the Hi Power Range.  I like it. 
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
There are alot of us that use that stand. It even has a spike in the bottom center so you can anchor it down it a gale. Holds the scope very steady.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2012, 08:34:47 AM »
I actually have a very nice, heavy duty camera tripod which can be set up with the legs splayed anywhere from near flat to your normal tripod configuration.  Spiked feet and a hook for ballast or tie down.  It will work fine.  I may want to get a cheaper panning head for it though.

Willy

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Added a base to turn my prone sticks into a bench rest.  I just taped nails to represent the spikes as I don't have them installed yet but as you can see the spikes will be facing up so they will need some kind of  sheath to protect me from acupuncture :o.

The size of the base is based solely on the dimensions of the one scrap board I used to make it.  If I were to do it over again I would make it about an inch longer so that the sticks could be fully retracted and maybe make the end pieces 8 or 10" long instead of the 5-3/4 that the material allowed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com