Author Topic: 38 special bullet ?  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Takoda Ray

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
38 special bullet ?
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
Just wondering,what is the most popular 38 special bullet weight and design used in cowboy shooting events? I reload for my 38 special SA revolvers and I will be receiving a 1873 Ubertie rifle in about a month.Right now I am shooting 158 gr. LSWC's and 3.1 grs. of Bullseye. I would like to load one cartridge for use in either rifle or revolver to keep it simple.Someone recommended the 125 gr.TC bullet for the rifle but not sure how they will work out of the revolver.
Thanks Pards,
Takoda Ray

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 38 special bullet ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
the load you're using should work fine unless your rifle doesn't like them - some rifles have a little trouble feeding the SWCs or the TCs, so you may want to switch to a RNFP.  Your revolvers won't care one way or the other.

Offline Badlands Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Stu is correct.  The revolver will shoot anything that will fit in the cylinder.  Some rifles are a little finicky.  Find what shoots good in your rifle and use that round in your pistols.  Makes life much less complicated.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:34:24 AM »

Offline Takoda Ray

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:37:28 AM »
Thank you pards for your suggestions.I sure wish that 73 would get here.I am like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Takoda Ray

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »
My 1866 is finicky about overall length in .38 Special. I've been using a 147 Grain TC Bullet from Moulton Lead  www.moultonlead.com

It is a special bullet designed for 1866's and 1873's. It makes for a longer overall length and has been trouble free.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Takoda Ray

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:39:04 AM »
Thanks for the web site for the 147 gr.TC. I was looking for such a bullet weight like that as all my guns seem to shoot nice tight groups with weights around 148 grains.My supplier doesn't handle the 147's in the TC. The price is very close to what I paid for the 125's. I did however,try the 125 gr. TC's out of my SA revolvers for the first time yesterday and I was pretty impressed,my only concern is that the ovl turned out to be 1.440" when crimpted in the groove.I won't know how they feed in the 73 until it arrives.
Yesterday was the first time I tried the Trail Boss powder . I liked it much over my regular use of Bullseye in the 38 special but I just can't seem to digest the cost very well.I pay $17.59 for a pound of BE and the Trail Boss cost me $17.00 for a 9 ounce container. I use 3.0 grs. of BE and the same 3.0 grs. of TB. That doesn't seem to be a  cost savings changing to TB. Am I missing something here?
Watch your top knot,
Takoda Ray

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
I might add that there is no crimp groove on the 147 Grain TC Bullets. I crimp on the flat spot just above the lube groove. This gives me an OAL of 1.555". I shoot the 147 grain bullets in my 1866 Uberti Winchester and use 158 Grain RNFP in my Pistols. The 158 Grain RNFP bullets seem to work better for me in my Pistols. I've also used 130 grain RNFP bullets in my Pistols with decent results. Your results could vary from mine as I'm not a good Pistol shot.

My load for the 147's is 3.0 grains of Trail Boss.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Takoda Ray

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
Thanks for all that good information on what you use and how you use it.That gives me better insight and options to try and work out.

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »
Johnny turned me onto the 147's from moulton and they is all I've been using. They run through my Rossi 92 without a hitch.
All you need is love and a .45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com