Author Topic: What do you consider the SASS rules?  (Read 3883 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

What do you consider the SASS rules?
« on: May 14, 2004, 03:45:47 PM »
Howdy pards,

Recent discussions have brought out the multiple rule game when it comes to enforcing certain issues.

So what counts?
The handbook?
RO1?
RO2?
Fiats from on high?

What do y'all think about this and how do we create a common sense body of rules that we can all agree to use at a match.
Adios,

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: What do you consider the SASS rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:57:33 PM »
As far as I am concerned, all the "SASS rules" should be in the Handbook not from multiple sources.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 05:54:01 PM »
I ran into this when I asked about putting a full buckhorn sight on the receiver of my Henry like the early originals had.  Apparently the rule book said it was okay as long as it was authentic.  The RO1 book said not under any circumstances.  Now I am only going by what people posted on the SASS Wire.  Since they quoted chapter and verse I assume they were accurate.

As far as I am concerned when the various books differ themember's rulw book has to take precedent.  Afterall every member gets a rule book but only those who choose or have the oppurtunity to take the RO courses get those books.

Regardless I generally go by common sense when dealing with the SASS rules.  If some anal retentive wants to punish me because they think my equipment isn't SASS legal fine.  If I feel it is period correct and doesn't give me a competitive advantage I'll use it ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:25:59 AM »

Offline California Lawdawg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 11:52:43 PM »
Iffen it ain't in the rule book then it don't count. Too may books equal too much confusion IMHO.

Lawdawg

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 12:40:01 AM »
The rules are whatever is written in the current edition of the shooter's handbook. The RO 1&2 materials are only supposed to help you interpret what the spirit of the rules are. That said, I have taken the RO2 class every year since it was offered just to hear the current interpretation.

The good news is that the RO 1&2 materials are online for anybody with computer access to read/download for free, so they're not some kind of special knowlege that isn't  available everybody.

The other good news is that the whole point of the RO 1&2 classes is to make officiating at SASS events consistant throughout the country. So if you understand how a rule is supposed to be interpreted, it should be he same everywhere you shoot.
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 09:00:56 AM »
In a related vein.. what do you suggest is the proper recourse when a RO or other official uses their own bias or interpretation fo the rules?  Specifically, the 170/Crossdraw issues erupting on the SASS Wire.

Adios,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com