Author Topic: Ruger Bisley Vaquero for CAS?  (Read 10054 times)

Offline Tallbald

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Bisley Vaquero for CAS?
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
My wife and I want to get into CAS, and my single actions are a Blackhawk and a Super Blackhawk. I'd love a good reason to get a pinch frame .357 Ruger, and really love the looks of the Bisley Vaquero. But I am wondering if the Bisley style is a negative in style or function in CAS. thoughts please? thank you, Don.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Bisley Vaquero for CAS?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
I don't understand what you are asking.

Offline Tallbald

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »
I apologize. I'm asking first if the Bisley style is allowed in CAS, and second, if the low, wide hammer spur and grip shape are not helpful in accurate fast shooting. It may be a personal preference, but I really like the profile and appearance of the Bisley style. Thanks, Don.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:00:26 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
In NCOWS the Bisquero is not legal as it does not "markedly resemble" a traditional firearm of the period.  For SASS I believe they are approved.  Many shooters like the shape of the grip which is modelled on the Grover #5 custom SAAs.

First, figure out which organization you favor, then go to the nearest club and check out whats happ'nin before you spend money.  You will find many welcoming Pards to give you sound advice.

You might have to buy used as the Bisley grip doesn't seem to be available in the New Vaquero.  The Old Model Vaquero is no longer manufactured.
Your Blackhawks are legal for age based shooting categories in SASS, I believe. Check out the Bylaws for the org. you prefer.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:05 PM »
The Bisley Vaquero is available in both the original and new Vaquero size.  It is legal for SASS but not NCOWS.  I shoot a pair of original size Bisley Vaqueros in .45 cal. and a pair of the new Bisley Vaqueros in .357.  Interestingly enough, while the frame sizes are different, the grips are the same size.

Offline LoneRider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Silver Screen Hero
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:01:03 AM »
Bisley's are used mostly by Duelists and Gunfighters because of the straighter grip and lower hammer. Easier to shoot 1 handed but some 2 handers use them.
Happy Trails

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
Howdy

'Pinched frame' refers to the rear sight on very early First Generation Colts and some replicas.

This is why they were called 'pinched frames'.

Some modern replicas are made to resemble the original pinched frame.

Ruger Vaqueros do not have what could be called a pinched frame sight. The rear sight on a Vaquero is pretty much the same as the rear sight on a 2nd Generation Colt. Here is the rear sight on one of my New Vaqueros. It is pretty much the same as the rear sight on an 'original model' Vaquero.

The sight picture with the old pinched frames was a very tiny V groove. The Vaqueros and modern Colts have a nice wide square bottomed slot, and the material around the slot has been cleared away to make it easier to see.

As stated, the Bisley Vaquero is not really quite the same as the original Colt Bisley grip.

Here is the Ruger version of the Bisley grip.

Here is an original Bisley Colt. The differences are obvious. The Colt Bisley shape swept much more forward than the Ruger version.

Bisley Rugers do not seem to me to be as prevalent these days as a few years ago. More shooters seem to be going to the traditional 'plow handle' grip.

I did own a Ruger Bisley Vaquero for a short while. I eventually sold it though because I did not care for it. The Bisley grip is a bit longer than the standard grip, and allows the shooter to fit his entire hand onto it. I discovered that I much prefer to hold a single action revolver with my pinky curled under the grip, rather than trying to cram my entire hand onto the grip. This allows the pistol to rotate a bit in my hand in recoil. I much prefer that to trying to cram my entire hand onto the grip.

Before you spend any money on a revolver, make every effort to try shooting both types. Some prefer one, some prefer the other.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline LoneRider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Silver Screen Hero
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
Bisley Rugers do not seem to me to be as prevalent these days as a few years ago. More shooters seem to be going to the traditional 'plow handle' grip.

Come to NE Texas...alot of Duelists around here and almost all shoot Ruger Bisleys!!
Happy Trails

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
Come to NE Texas...alot of Duelists around here and almost all shoot Ruger Bisleys!!

I have always shot duelist. And with heavy Black Powder loads for a long time now. As I said earlier, I do not care for the Ruger version of the Bisley grip. I prefer the plow handle grip and I prefer to allow it to rotate in recoil.

A real Colt Bisley, that's a different story. I passed on one made around 1903 not too long ago only because it was in 32-20 and really needed a lot of work. Too much work for the price they were asking. If I were to find one in 45 Colt or 44-40 for a reasonable price I would buy it in a minute.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:57 PM »
My education never ends.  I now know what a "pinch-frame" is.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »
I shot a Bisley frame Rooooger for several years in SASS.  It worked well, until I started to care about my scores and improving my performance.

Then, I realized that the amount of real estate on the Bisley frame resulted in my getting a different purchase on the gun each time I brought it to bare.   Further, I noticed that my grip position shifted more with recoil than it did on the plow handle grip.

I realize these may have been personal issues with the Bisley frame and might not have any bearing on what experience others might have with the gun.

I traded the frame off to Gary Reeder, who built up a pair of "Doc Holiday" frames for me in exchange.  At that time (7-8 years ago) the Bisley frames and hammer sets were in strong demand and he was ahead on the deal (according to him).

I shoot with some serious gunfighters who still prize that frame a lot.  Others have done as I did and ditched 'em. 

I have a sense that the Bisley Roooooogers were largely popular because of the hammers, rather than the frames.  Since SASS has opened up the rules about hammers in gunz, many of the former Bisley shooters I know have shown up with some slicked-up plow handles with super blackhawk hammers (and, often, short stroked insides). 

You'd probably have to get some Bisley framed pistols and shoot them for a few years to know if they were better for you and whatever game you want to engage in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com