Author Topic: Marlin Lever Problem  (Read 6050 times)

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marlin Lever Problem
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
I recently bought a new Marlin 1894 in 45 LC. My main match rifle is a '66 in 38, but I needed a rifle that would work for B Western and Wild Bunch, so the Marlin got the nod.

Right from the get go I've had problems cycling rounds. It's always the first one out of the tube, regardless of how many are in it; 2, 5, or 10. The first one out jams up. Now I'm not a gunsmith, so I'm probably not going to explain this correctly, but it seems like the cartridge is not being lifted high enough to go into the chamber. I have to loosen the lever, which releases the cartridge, then /I tighten the lever back up, fire the round in chamber, and the rest of them feed just fine, every single time.  

I've used a number of different types of cartridges, both factory and reloads, plus once the first one out of the tube is dealt with it works smoothly, so I can't see how it's an ammo issue.

I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, and if so what did you do about it? I called Marlin, and they referred me to a repair facility in my area that has a terrible rep. I don't want to take it to these guys if at all possible.

Thanks, JD  

I did not know there was a gunsmithing forum; had I known I would have posted this there. 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Marlin Lever Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
I had the same problem with a Rossi R92 in 45 Colt. I bought the gun new in the box and sent it back to the factory without ever firing a shot. Got it back in 2 weeks and has worked perfectly ever since. Rossi doesn't give a lot of repair information other than they made adjustments with no mention of changing parts.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
Is it a Remlin, or NOS Marlin,Before buyout/move? ::)

Have you took it completely down yet? Give it a good clean and lube and see if that helps first......Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:48:20 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Mathew 5.9

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »
Has anyone else tried the gun? I just wondered if you're working the action 'snappy' enough on the first round. I've seen this happen before on a WW '94.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
Good questions guys. It's been completely torn down by a good 'smith, and several guys, all experienced Marlin users suggested I might not be levering it "with authority" until they tried it and it jammed for them as well.

I bought the rifle new about 3 months ago, but how long the shop in Portland had it in stock I can't say.

The most aggravating thing about this is how intermittent the problem is. I used it Saturday at the Oregon State Wild Bunch match, and it jammed the first stage. We started with the rifle, so they let me go to the unloading table and try to fix it. I loosened the lever and the stuck cartridge popped up and into the chamber. I levered it empty, then cycled those same cartridges through five times, then shot the stage with them, no problem. Second stage it jammed again, but this time I got it free on the line and kept going. The next three stages were fine, no problems at all.

At the suggestion of my gunsmith friend I ordered a new carrier that should be here today (Wednesday) I'm hopeful this will take care of the problem. If it doesn’t then the new carrier will go back and the rifle goes back to Marlin. 

Reports will be coming soon, one way or the other.   

Thanks for taking time to respond, JD

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

JD, use a push stick, to push the last round loaded in all the way, if it's not in all the way, the last round loaded can hang up, give this a try, should work fine. I make mine like this, and you can just keep it in your bullet loops or a pocket.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:36 AM »
Thanks Rod, that's something I'd not thought of. The new carrier came from Brownell’s and it's in the rifle. It cycles the dummy rounds just fine. I'm going to get to the range this afternoon to see how it works with live rounds. I have some dowel lying around that I can use for a push stick and give that a try as well.

I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again everyone, your input is appreciated. JD   

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
The new carrier from Brownells did not help; it still has the same problem, regardless of the ammo or who's leverig the rifle. It's time for it to go back to Marlin for a look see.                         

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:55:13 AM »
I called Marlin today and explained my problem, and they said it sounded like a timing problem, which as I understand it is a factory fix. They're sending me a return tag, so I should be shipping it out in a day or two. I'll eventually follow up when it comes home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com