Author Topic: Current Colt production VS Second gen  (Read 18192 times)

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Current Colt production VS Second gen
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:34 PM »
When I first came down with Colt SAA fever in 1996, the second gen guns were highly prized among the shooters in my local circle and if you couldn't affford a second then a third was next best. So I found a couple of nice very early thirds ( 1977 and 1978) that have served me well. I had one cylinder bushing replaced ( a very simple fix) and an occasional spring. One gun needed a firing pin insert shimmed to correct a small headspace issue but all in all they have been dependable.

There was a period during the 90's that quality went down a bit in my opinion. So  the second gen guns were still what everyone seemed to want and for good reason. At the time the best deal was an NRA centennial model as they were plentiful.

Lately though, when Colt re-introduced the removable bushing and improved quality I seem to think that the second gen guns don't seem so magical. The case colors on my 2008 Frontier Six Shooter far exceed the second gen case color( i do know it fades)  and the fit and finish seems better too. The current Colts even have the same hollow sounding clicks as generations 1 an 2.

Is it just me or do you think that the current Colts have surpassed the quality of the second gens? Especially for the money?

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Current Colt production VS Second gen
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »
I've shot 1st 2nd and 3rd Gen Colt's. If a 1st or 2nd Gen are minty they're really expensive. You can get a currently produced 3rd Gen and it's as good an out of the box gun as you can get. Of course like any other shooter, I've kinda made minor changes to suit me.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:19:15 AM »
...Is it just me or do you think that the current Colts have surpassed the quality of the second gens? Especially for the money?

The 2nd Gen. encompasses a large period of time and you can always find a diamond or a lemon from any gunmaker. I think that Colt is now turning out some great guns but yes, lemons do come through. Colt will however fix it for you for free.

The main point is whether one is a shooter or a collector. If the latter you would need to concentrate on the 1st Gen. as blue chip investments as we will not live long enough to see 2nd Gen. guns have prices like the 1st Gen., except of course in some rare instances.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:51:25 AM »

Offline jdpress

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
I believe that the current Colt SAA production for 2010 and 2011 includes the finest quality that Colt has ever made for this model revolver.  The fit between the frame, trigger guard, backstrap and loading gate is next to perfect while the bluing and color case hardening is absolutely beautiful.  Polishing is also excellent with a smooth finish without any waves or ripples on the flat surfaces, no dishing around screw holes while the edges are still kept crisp and sharp.  If you are a shooter and a collector I think you have found both attributes with the current Colt third generation SAA production.

J.D. Press

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
I don't know. I still like seeing those numbers, when I flick open the loading gate.

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
I believe that the current Colt SAA production for 2010 and 2011 includes the finest quality that Colt has ever made for this model revolver.  The fit between the frame, trigger guard, backstrap and loading gate is next to perfect while the bluing and color case hardening is absolutely beautiful.  Polishing is also excellent with a smooth finish without any waves or ripples on the flat surfaces, no dishing around screw holes while the edges are still kept crisp and sharp.  If you are a shooter and a collector I think you have found both attributes with the current Colt third generation SAA production.

J.D. Press

This is indeed what I have seen

Offline COLT_45_SAA

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
I believe that the current Colt SAA production for 2010 and 2011 includes the finest quality that Colt has ever made for this model revolver.  The fit between the frame, trigger guard, backstrap and loading gate is next to perfect while the bluing and color case hardening is absolutely beautiful.  Polishing is also excellent with a smooth finish without any waves or ripples on the flat surfaces, no dishing around screw holes while the edges are still kept crisp and sharp.  If you are a shooter and a collector I think you have found both attributes with the current Colt third generation SAA production.

J.D. Press

Agreed !
Keep Up The Good Work Colt.....

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »
The number on the loading gate is merely an assembly number.

On older Colt SAA's - that number should also be present on the inside backstrap and on the cylinder - but has nothing to do with the actual serial number, and it isn't always present.

Current Colts are things of beauty - fully the equal to the much-vaunted Second Generation guns and in many cases, surpasses those, since moderm machinery replaced the old equipment long ago.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline cowpokedean

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »
I have two Colts that were built last year.  The number on the loading gate on both is the last three digits of the serial number.  The last three digits are also on the cylinder.  The full number is stamped into both grip straps under the grips and the grips have the full number scratched into both panels.

As far as quality goes I have to disagree somewhat with the other posts.  I was able to pick these two out of a group of eight.  I picked the two with the best shape to the trigger frame and best grip fit.  That said, they are nice, as nice as any 2nd generation I have seen, but far from perfect.  And the finishes are not that great.  Color to the blue and the fake case hardening is good.  But the blue on both has buffing marks and has worn very quickly and the fake frame finish is bubbling up and falling off one.

Stock the actions were terrible.  Both were extremely hard to cock and had trigger pulls that were creepy and heavy.  And one had a binding in the cylinder rotation.  Both locked up well and aligned the chambers with the barrel but one had some endplay.  Timing was good and neither made a drag line on the cylinder.

Both went to the same gunsmith for tuning and came out very well. I use them for mounted shooting so they see mostly blackpowder but I have fired about 400 smokeless rounds with bullets through each.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
  And the finishes are not that great.  Color to the blue and the fake case hardening is good.  But the blue on both has buffing marks and has worn very quickly and the fake frame finish is bubbling up and falling off one.

Fake case-hardening ?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
Fake casehardening?

Are you sure you're referring to an actual Colt?

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:52 AM »
Fake casehardening?

Are you sure you're referring to an actual Colt?

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

I think he thought he was on the USFA forum.  After all, they are perfect in every way.  :P

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »
An additional comment to the post by Cowpokedean, has Colt gone back to putting the 3 digit assembly number on the loading gate and if so, does it relate in any way to the serial number ?

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:20 AM »
An additional comment to the post by Cowpokedean, has Colt gone back to putting the 3 digit assembly number on the loading gate and if so, does it relate in any way to the serial number ?

I'm not Cowpokedean, but I have a Colt SAA that was built last year and it does have the last 3 numbers (not letter A) of the serial number on the loading gate.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
OK, between the "fake case-hardening" and the 3 digit number on his loading gate, my next question is, what's Cowpoke been smoking ?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
I just got another pair last week that were ordered in December, so they should be very current serial numbers.  They have the last three digits of the serial number on the loading gate.  HOWEVER, the numbers are stamped on the flat under the fat part of the loading gate.  If you don't look closely between the frame and the upper part of the gate they are a little hard to see.  On the first and seconds an assembly number is stamped on the fat part of the gate and is very obvious when you flip it open.   Early third gens don't seem to have any number.  Colt uses real case "hardening" and not case "coloring" like some others.  Colt does put a protective lacquer finish on the case to help protect it.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
When I bought my Colt's the Salesman told me that the guns were not intended to be shot but were to be put up as they were intended for future collector value. I told him that if he wanted to we'd go out into the parking lot and test fire'm.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Colt does put a protective lacquer finish on the case to help protect it.

That protective film didn't last to long on mine.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »
When I bought my Colt's the Salesman told me that the guns were not intended to be shot but were to be put up as they were intended for future collector value. I told him that if he wanted to we'd go out into the parking lot and test fire'm.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I can't believe your salesman had the nerve to say that. It's like buying a brand new Corvette and just driving it at 10 mph.
A work in progress.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
You should have seen the look on his face when I asked for a box of ammo then cocked the gun just to take the 'new' off.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
No doubt about it - 'gun shop commandos' do have a unique way of viewing the world...

If I remember correctly - it's 'Turnbull' who uses a clear-coat on his refurbished case-hardening - while 'Colt' uses wax - but Pettifogger might be correct on this one.

Back in the '80's - I bought a Gold Cup for less than a  used Government Model because of the exterior finish.

It looked as though it had suffered smoke damage or something similar, and the owner had first noticed it after he'd cleaned it with his 'super-special home-brewed solvent', and he was certain he'd ruined it.

From talking with factory guys, I 'knew' the factory was using spray-on  'Pledge' after proof-firing - so it became mine.

After a proper cleaning - it was a beautiful piece, and sold for serious money, since my own National Match hardball guns shot tighter groups, and when you're shooting one-handed, standing - at 50 yards - everthing counts.

Like a few others - I've been around 'real' Colts a very long time - and outside of 'some, not all' early Third Generation revolvers (from when the UAW bought Colt, and QC suffered as a result), the fit and finish has been exactly what I'd wanted and knew to expect.

And remember - this is the Colt forum, as stated - and 'Real Cowboys Shoot Colts'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com