Author Topic: Shooting the Gallagher  (Read 5157 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shooting the Gallagher
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
Fired my Gallagher t'other day ....

Load was the Rapine 'Xmas Tree' bullet I use in my .54 Shiloh Sporter and 40 grs FFg. A bit much bullet for the carbine, but the Lee REAL bullet and Lee .54 Minie would not allow one of the brass cases to be seated behind them.
Not knowing what to expect, I fired offhand at 25 yds. First shot hit 1-1/2" above POA, dead centre for windage. Next four rds went into a roup 2-3/4", 4" higher. Two rds on top of each other, two 1" apart centre to centre. Looks like the fast 1x18" twist stabilized the big bullet just fine.
Next I tried some paper rds using the REAL bullet and the 'Xmas Tree' - bad idea! Lacking any kind of gas seal, the pressure was enough to thrust the barrel forward ("... for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction ...") and cause the lever to unlatch. Disconcerting .... ;>(
Anything and everything that could get gas blasted did, necessitating a detailed stripping for cleaning. This thing is built like a tank!
Now I'm in the market for a 540 RB mould and a 300 gr ringtail. Who makes 'em?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shooting the Gallagher
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Got my Gallager back from Bob Hoyt last week. I've cast some 515139 bullets and will load some of them up for a trial firing seesion this weekend. Will report back. My barrel has been relined to a .514 groove diameter and a 1-54 twist IIRC. Should be very big improvement over the stock Erma MG barrel rifling and much closer to the original. We'll see.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
Interesting ..... what does Hoyt charge for his work? I could be a potential customer as .50 is my preferred calibre, based on the number of .50s of one type or another that I own.

Why .515 as compared to the Shiloh .510? Is that what is available in liners? Also, 1x54" sounds pretty slow compared to the Shiloh 1x36" for the .50 gov't bullet.

But - if'n it works   .....   
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:28:18 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Forgot to ask ..... you still gona be able to use the original .54 Gallagher brass cases?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
I'll have to examine the data sheet again and verify the twist rate. I could be mistaken. The original Gallager brass will work just fine. The .514 bullet (515139) seats inside the forward rebate of the Lodgewood brass. I'm thinking that may be the reason for the .514 bore groove diameter that Bob Hoyt uses. Charges were $150 to reline the bore from 54 to 52 cal.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
I'm a little confused here ..... not difficult for me ... ;>)
My Shiloh 50-70s mike .510 and I size bullets that drop from the mould at .515 (depending upon alloy) to .512.

In Schiffer's book on testing/evaluating ACW carbines, his 1st model Gallagher had lands at .514 and groove diameter was .529, so your relined bore is historically right on at .514. The original had 1x72" ROT, so accuracy was abysmal.

What do your bullets weight? Are they 'conical' or a three ring 'Xmas Tree'? I'll check my catalogs .....

How do I contact Hoyt?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »
Shoot. I forgot to weigh my bullets. The rate of twist is 1-54. I believe the 515139's weigh about 350 grs. I loaded some cartridges this afternoon, but with Mother's Day, I did not get a chance to shoot. Bob Hoyt's info is as follows:

Freischutz Shop
R. A. Hoyt
700 Fairfield Station Road
Fairfield, PA 17320
717-642-6696

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
Thanks, Clint!

Once I get a trigger job done on my Gallagher (and the broken hammer spring replaced), I'll decide if I want to have the barrel relined to .50.
If so, I'll opt for a 1x48" ROT if available. In any case, I'm going to ordr a Lyman DC 515139 mould for my .50 Shilohs. I'm not unhappy with the 5151141, but I think I'll be able to drive the 350 gr bullet a little faster.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
Shot my Gallager on Sunday. Loaded up 20 rounds with 515139 bullets, 35 grs. of Diamondback 3FG. Shot 17 rounds at 50 yds. Prints about 4-5 inches high, groups measured about 3 inches, probably due to failing light (I was shooting late in the day). One thing I did have a problem with is that some of my cartridges are apparently oversized in diameter and do not chamber, or chamber so tightly that extraction becomes a problem. I plan to go through my 60 cartridges and check them, and then have the oversize ones turned down. Lots of potential and a hoot to shoot.  :D :D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
Preacher

Great shooting with a gun that most people wouldn't use as a club! Shows ta go ya that all it takes is the right combo of bullet and powder.

I just bought some cases from Lodgewood and they are slightly longer than the six I had on hand. Remains to be seen of they are too long.
I've made up an extraction tool in the event that a case sticks in the barrel or receiver. Still waiting on my spring from S&S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com