Author Topic: Substitute powders  (Read 10641 times)

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Substitute powders
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
ZVP,
I hope you know I was "funin'" you.  I apologize if it seemed otherwise. 

I hope you've learned by now that I will bend over backwards to help someone and will spend a lot of time and effort to explain and even illustrate what I am trying to explain, especially to new shooters.

It just seemed funny at the time because after all like I said we are dressing up and playing cowboy.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
  Now I know you guys were funnin and I understand.
 Pyrodex has it's own unique set of quirks first of all it's now acceptable to load it measure for measure with BP and the stuff has it's own scent but preformance-wise it's gotten pretty consistant and where I live you'd think BP was outlawed! You simply can't find it! I got lucky and found some at Bass Pro's of all places and bought one of their 2 cans of GOEX. I've not had too good luck with the stuff it's not as consistant as Pyrodex for some reason.
 To be honest the most consistantlly accurate stuff I have used is 777. my .44's liked it and my .36 didnt but the .44's all shot very accuratelly with it. I was just worried about the pressures because 777 is HOT and you DO need to load at a 15% reduced rate. Even at that you still get some snappy recoil and fast bullets!
 I am going to try a shop up in Jamestown Ca that is about 70 miles from me, they are supposed to be a real BP shop and maybe I can get some good BP there? Seems like the transportation regulations are strict and only certain shops get real Black Powder.
 Till then I will have to do with Pyrodex as here in the Central Valley that is all there is. I'm used to the smell and have the stuff pretty well figgured out...
 ZVP

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1186
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
  Now I know you guys were funnin and I understand.

I am going to try a shop up inthat is about 70 miles from me, they are supposed to be a real BP shop and maybe I can get some good BP there?
 ZVP

Yes Pyro does have it's quirks... I am going to have to do some chemical scientifical research and verify that vinegar can kill off the perchlorates residues .... if so then your Windex solution will be part of my kit !

E'en tho I am cheap frugal I have learned the hard way that one wants to clear ones "nipples" with a cap or two prior to loading...

It also sounds like you "shot in" your barrels - they often come a tad "rough" for our tastes but not so bad that one needs to lap them...

If you are that close to the Bay and Sacremento, you might have a chat with WaddWatsonEllis I beleive he is in the Sacremento area and the two of you may find enough BP fans to split a case delivered from one of the powder suppliers such as the Main Powder House:

http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/

if you order a case of 25# GOEX & Scheutzen  is  $15.00/lb and Swiss is $20.50 but the 25# case Includes S/H & HazMat fee!

split it up with friends, just check on local regs for quantity you can hold, & make sure you have a good "box" to store it in.

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:54:53 AM »

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
Clean-up between cylinders is easy, just a little squirt of Windex and a quick wipe-down of the cylinder base pin get the gun ready for another couple cylinders full.
 At the end of the day, the Substitutes clean-up easier than real Black Powder.
 Maybe the fact that my revolvers are Spanish Reproductions is why the substitutes work better through the guns than GOEX. Perhaps the steels and the rifling cut is responsible for the more difficult clean-ups Maybe modern steels foul more?
 ZVP
I have an inexpensive Spanish Repro. and I will tell you that you can shoot 50+ rnds WITHOUT cleaning or relubing your cylinder pin IF you use the proper lube in your gun, using BP. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Cookie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 01:23:45 AM »
Umm.... am I the only one who realizes that our dear ZVP posted this exact same rant a few months ago?

He also "finally got ahold of Goex" back in Sept 2010, and ranted about how unimpressed he was. Then when everyone defended true BP he ranted about how horrible everyone here was.

Quick refresher

-1 for trolling ZVP.  >:(

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:21 AM »
Good reminder, Cookie.  Deja Vu all over again!

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 07:47:27 AM »
In the immortal words of Prof. Julius Sumner-Miller

"Why is it so ????"
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
-2  >:( WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 01:24:08 AM »
Umm.... am I the only one who realizes that our dear ZVP posted this exact same rant a few months ago?

He also "finally got ahold of Goex" back in Sept 2010, and ranted about how unimpressed he was. Then when everyone defended true BP he ranted about how horrible everyone here was.

Quick refresher

-1 for trolling ZVP.  >:(

We have a winner!!  :D ;)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
If you listen real close on a quite evening after shooting Pyrodex you can hear your guns rust.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com