Author Topic: Evans Repeating Carbine  (Read 7729 times)

Offline birddoghunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Evans Repeating Carbine
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »
How much could I sell this Evans Carbine for? The top stock has a crack, the barrel band doesn't look to be correct and there is a piece of spring steel under the trigger added to make it function better? Should I try and fix some of the issues or sell it as is?

Dale

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Evans Repeating Carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
IF you know what the particular model looks like unmodified, then it would be a good idea to restore it as much as possible.  That being said, you need to be sure you can do a good job or find a gunsmith who can do it right.  While this looks like a New Model Evans, it might be a Transition Model (the Old Model has only wood above the magazine tube). In restoring, DO NOT reblue the metal, or re-finish the stock! That kills value as a collector's piece.  If you can accurately determine the barrel band size and shape, and find something close, that will help. I doubt you'll find an original.

As far as "how much" the Evans is worth as-is or restored, you first have to find someone who is interested in the gun.  If you sell it to a dealer, remember, he/she will offer "wholesale" so the gun can be sold "retail".  If you find a private individual who is interested, it will be whatever you can negotiate.  I would say the gun would probably be worth at least $800-$1,000, but it might be worth quite a bit more.  That is NOT an offer, BTW.  While I find the Evans interesting, my "exchequer" is way down right now.

Best of luck!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline birddoghunter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »
From what I could find on the Internet I beleive it's the Transitional Model. There is no dustcover over the ejector and it doesn't have a cover over the magazine well. The New Model Evans had both and the Old Model Evans only had a top wood stock with the magazine exposed at the bottom.

This is a site that I found that lists only 450 22" round barrel Transitional Model Carbines ever made.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/blancard/evans.htm

Would Gunbroker.com be the best place to sell this rifle?

Dale

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:57:10 PM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »
Birddoghunter,

You might want to look over the EORI Thread -Evans Often Requested Information - on this site, SSS, and look for the info on "Happy Trails", our resident expert on the Evans here on SSS.  Contact him and get the most up to date info on the Evans you will find anywhere on the Internet.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,21226.0.html

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline stanforth

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
The gun in question is unmistakenly a Transitional Model
In the UK (where these are exceptionallt rare) it wouled make about £800. If anone is tempted to make ann offer these guns are a real challenge to develope ammunition for but well worht it. of the 40+ guns in my ccollection my New Model Evans is my favourite/.  See Evans FAQ thread.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
The gun in question is unmistakenly a Transitional Model
In the UK (where these are exceptionallt rare) it wouled make about £800. If anone is tempted to make ann offer these guns are a real challenge to develope ammunition for but well worht it. of the 40+ guns in my ccollection my New Model Evans is my favourite/.  See Evans FAQ thread.
Could you tell what the load you youse in youre NM evans.I have been yousing the BACO .432 healed base bull ,cut down 30-40 cases rim turned down,and .19 CC of trail boss,I have tryed BP but lube is a problem

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
Making ammo for these is exceptionally easy, and the parts are mostly readily available, even for export.  .44 Mag brass or the .44 Evans Long or .44 Evans Short brass from Buffalo Arms can be used. 4-D die company makes both .44 Evans Long and .44 Evans Short dies, both marketed by Buffalo Arms, and probably by others.  :)

Getting a good bullet/mold is harder.  I was able to get a semi-custom NEI 4-gang .421 mold that casts a nice 295 gr. bullet sufficiently similar to (but not quite as nice as) the original .419 Evans bullets. The NEI mold is very easy to work with, and I've shot these from both a transitional model (44 Evans Short) and a New Model (44 Evans Long) with great success.  :D

Again - check out the FAQ thread.  LOTs of great info there. Good shootin'
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
Hi,

Thought I would post a link to an Evans mould at this site:

http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=9309

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
I could not get my New Model Evens to shoot acuratly at all with the smaller diameter bullets ,I even had to enlarge the diamerter of the BACO NM Evans mould from .432 to .435 to get reliable acuracy,in my rifle the groove diamerter is .434

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
Wow - that's quite an increase.  How soft was the lead you were casting with?
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
Very soft lead ,all the NM evans arms I have examined have simular dementions (groove diamerter from .430 to .435)the camber is cut with a uninterruped taper untill it meats the bore diamerter,the same as the Australian Martini Cadet .310,so to get good acuracy I loaded the cartridge to chamber dementions using a healed base bullet,this is the only way I have been able to get acuracy from rifles chamberd like this,I tryed the dementions for the original NM Evans cartridge and could get no acuracy at all,I suspect others have had this problem or BACO would not have put out the .430 healed base mould edpeciley for the NM evans

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
That looks a lot like the Transitional carbine I owned over 25 years ago and mentioned in my article on the leverguns website.  That was a long time ago, but it sure does look familiar ;)
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline fester

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
Could you tell what the load you youse in youre NM evans.I have been yousing the BACO .432 healed base bull ,cut down 30-40 cases rim turned down,and .19 CC of trail boss,I have tryed BP but lube is a problem

Hi. Despite the new user name (the system would not accept my original one) I am in fact 'Stanforth'.
You will see details of my load foe the Evans NM in ****EORI*** in a post by Two Flints.
I hope it helps you.

Fester.... Stanforth  or if you prefer, Geoff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com