Author Topic: Uberti .44 Russian?  (Read 6230 times)

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti .44 Russian?
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:04 PM »
As you can see, I'm brand new here, but a long time gun nut.  I recently bought a new Russian which I've yet to shoot.  Been loading some Starline brass and waiting for warm weather up here in the Hills.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of holster would look the best, and drooling over some ivory grips.   I really like the feel of the gun, and especially like the balance using the trigger spur.  Wondering, too, what type of lanyard would have been used on this gun.  I'm guessing they were designed/intended for mounted cavalry and therefor a flap/half flap holster may have been used.  Anyone shooting one of these?  Likes, dislikes, or other guidance.  Bill :)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti .44 Russian?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
Why not take a look through the 'back pages' on this forum - you'll find all of your questions answered, and then some.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »

I have been shooting one for the last few years, interspersed with Laramies.
The .44 Russian remains my favorite revolver cartridge...large bore, accurate, easy to reload, modest in recoil.

I removed the spur from mine as I kept getting fingers hung up in it when drawing from a holster. I really like the balance and "feel" of this model, nonetheless. As with all the S&W topbreaks, the sights are pretty dismal, however.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:56:18 AM »

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
I did spend some time going back through the forum.  Indeed, there was a wealth of info on my new treasure.  Now, it's deciding on what kind of loads for my brass.  Bill

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Take your time and enjoy it.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
Howdy

How about something like this?

You also may find a Slim Jim style holster that it fits into, as long as the spur clears the leather. You also need to have a holster that clears the long ejector housing. Not all holsters will clear that. I just had a very nice Slim Jim made for me by El Paso Saddlery for my New Model Number Three. I chatted with them on the phone for quite a while to make sure what would work. If you give them a call, I'm sure they have made lots of holsters for Russian models and can advise you.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/default.aspx

If you decide to go the other way and cut off the spur, you will be in good company. A lot of originals had their spurs cut off.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline TennHillyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
I saw that holster somewhere on the web awhile back.  I liked the looks of it with the pouch underneath.  Appears someone modified it to fit the pistol, any idea of its history?   Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com