Author Topic: Firing a gun on horseback  (Read 6972 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Firing a gun on horseback
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
One trainer (name lost) wrote in an article that there are Four Fears in CMS:

1.  Balloons
2.  The sound of the "clock mechanism" of the pistol.
3.  The report of the shot.
4.  The cloud of smoke.

In addition to the comments made on noise, the trainer must accustom the horse to rding the pattern with balloon flopping about in the breeze on the end of sticks.  This trainer also recommended that when training begins do the first firing without the balloons.  Just ride random patterns and fire at random times.  This will prevent the horse from associating the presence of the balloon with the upcoming shot.  That should prevent the horse from shying at the sight of the balloon (a real hassle if it starts to happen).

Lots of "dry firing" is a Good Thing for both horse and rider.  It will allow the rider to work on an effective technique for handling the pistol, picking up the target, timing the shot, etc.  The horse will generaly settle and get used to the noise without associating it with the sound of a shot.

The cloud is sometimes the toughest thing to get the horse through.  Most trainers seem to recommend you fire to the off side, at 90 degrees or so to begin with (so that the cloud is well behind the horse).  As the horse gains experience you can begin to move forward (maybe up to 60 degrees or so).  And when the horse is comfortable with (or at least accepting of) this they you can add on side targets.  Note that the above presumes a right handed shooter; south paws have to do it in mirror image.   :)

Some trainers say it take 1000 rounds to make a shooting horse.  They just might be right!!!!   ;D

SQQ

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
You're right about the balloons!  My pard was getting her horse started in this game, and though he had no problems at all with the shooting, when she'd shoot and hit a balloon, he'd turn, stop and look at it as if to say "Did you see THAT????  WOW!!!"   ;D  He didn't have a problem with the balloons, he was just fascinated by the fact that they would pop as he ran by them.  But then, he's kind of a goof-ball anyway.  If he weren't a jet-black Friesian, I'm sure he'd be a blonde.  ;)

I also think you may well be right that it takes a 1,000 shots to make a good shooting horse.  Thankfully I somehow managed to luck into one that is already most of the way there!

Cheers!

Gordon

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
I did that whole "he turned I didnt" thing riding bareback with him once.
DM

Horse eating chipmunks will get you every time
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:53:46 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
You guys ever run across the tale told by General G.A. Custer about shooting his own horse in the back of the head? Apparently, he was bored, so he decided to go out alone and shoot a buff for something to do .....
Everything was going well until the fatal shot which dropped his galloping horse and pitched him into the prairie. He was unhurt and smart enough to stay with the downed horse until such time as he was missed and a party dispatched to find him.

Actually that horse Custer shot was NOT HIS! I bet he got in real trouble for it, too!  No, not a U.S. Property horse.  The horse belonged to...Libby!  :P ::)

When my Dad was in ROTC, back about 1922 + or -, he was giving directions to a column of horse-drawn artillery (French 75's left over from WWI), using a saber.  He did a column left signal, sweeping the blade accross the front of his body...and nearly cut the ears off his horse.  His tactical officer told him to use hand signals instead after that!  ;D   No, the horse wasn't injured...and apparently neither was Dad.  Rest his soul, he would have been 106 last Monday. He did make it to 98 though.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
When I was doing Dragoons at Bent's Fort many years ago, the horse I was riding (belonged to a friend who lived locally) had lost the tips of his ears to frostbite.  Everyone claimed though that it was due to my lack of finesse with a sabre... :o

Cheers!

Gordon

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
Actually that horse Custer shot was NOT HIS! I bet he got in real trouble for it, too!  No, not a U.S. Property horse.  The horse belonged to...Libby!  :P ::)

When my Dad was in ROTC, back about 1922 + or -, he was giving directions to a column of horse-drawn artillery (French 75's left over from WWI), using a saber.  He did a column left signal, sweeping the blade accross the front of his body...and nearly cut the ears off his horse.  His tactical officer told him to use hand signals instead after that!  ;D   No, the horse wasn't injured...and apparently neither was Dad.  Rest his soul, he would have been 106 last Monday. He did make it to 98 though.

Count your blessings, lost mine 2 weeks shy of 78.  http://www.301bg.com/Varner_Lee_A.cfm picture and write up of him getting captured 11 Apr 44 after being shot down on 56th Mission
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »
I have found that was a really fast way to dismount!   :-)
:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com