Author Topic: Colt 1905 What to Do  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Chase

• Very Active Citizen
  • ......"it's not the critic who counts"...T.R.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt 1905 What to Do
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »
I have a friend who has a 1905 Colt in 45 ACP.  He's had it for years and bought it at a police auction.
Sadly, the serial number is all but gone, only a "seven" is barely visible.
I would say that the original finish is at 10% and the grips have been altered with silver nameplates amateurishly done.

Approximate value?  Would it be worth the cost of having it professionally restored?

Hey, it was really neat holding such an old gun even in it's present condition.  I really tried to hand him a C-note for it but he wouldn't take it!

Thanks.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Colt 1905 What to Do
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
You 'can' have all of the lettering re-cut and have the piece refinished after that, but with this much evident wear - it'll always have the look of a refinished piece.

Best to leave it as-is and put away any thoughts of using it, should you eventually be able to buy it.

I'd say your buddy has more of an idea of it's true worth than he's letting on - he likely knows it's relative rarity.

It can't be apraised without a real inspection.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
Try looking at the serial number under a blacklight.There were some changes in these along the way that might give you an idea of the serial number general range.One of them that is easily determined is the first 500 the slide was marked "BROWNING'S PATENT" after that "PATENTED" with the dates.

A quality restoration would probably cost as much as the guns worth.It would require re-engraving the lettering for one thing.They only produced aprox.6100 of these,in any condition they are "find" for a collector.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:16:34 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com