Author Topic: "Broomstick Mauser pistol in "Joe Kidd"  (Read 14088 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Broomstick Mauser pistol in "Joe Kidd"
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
If it has been discussed before, I don't remember it ... hey I might even be wrong  .... I remember it happening once before ... LOL

But I was watching "Joe Kidd" last night, and both the bad guy (and eventually Joe Kidd) fired a 'broomstick' Mauser pistol in semi-auto (i.e. four or five shot bursts) without a magazine in place.

My question is: can this Mauser pistol be even shot one round at a time without a magazine in place?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1264
Re: "Broomstick Mauser pistol in "Joe Kidd"
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
Wadd, I have no idea but dang, now I'm gonna have to watch for that next time Joe Kidd comes on  :)

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
wadd, as a collector or c-96 pistols i don't quite understand your question. there were c-96 pistols that were made with removable mags, 10, 20, and later 30 shot but most were 10 shot with a non- removable mag.( they could be taken out for cleaning) they did make a 8 shot model but most were 10 shot that loaded from a stripper clip. the model that i recall being in that movie was the standard 10 shot 30 amuser. kurt250

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:04 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:55:07 AM »
I think Joe Kidd must have had the 60 rounder in.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
My knowledge on 'Broomsticks' si not very deep .... I always thought that they needed a magazine if they were not being loaded singly into the breech ... yet when both the 'bad guy' and Clint Eastwould fire the thing, it is being fired without a magazine .... the gun kicks upward in the way I would imagine a short barrel Mauser would, there is the noise of it firing, but there is no magazine.

The only 'broomstick' I have ever seen was in the Commandant's office of my Military Academy .... and it held  a conch shelll magazine .... so that is why I am asking here ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
And, come to think of it, I didn't see any stream of casings flowing from the pistol either ... now I am going to have to watch the movie again ...

Or it could be a problem with the C96 not being able to feed dummies shells through the weapon through a magazine ...

Any ideas, fellas?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
Wadd, it is a "Broom Handle" not a "Broom stick"  ;)  I haven't seen the movie for awhile but I believe it had the common fixed magazine that Kurt mentioned, reloaded with a stripper clip.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »

The only 'broomstick' I have ever seen was in the Commandant's office of my Military Academy .... and it held  a conch shelll magazine .... so that is why I am asking here ....

"conch shell magazine" ??? Are you by chance confusing an Artillery Luger with the snail drum magazine with the C96 Mauser?

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »
The c96 Mauser has one of the most distinguished lineages of all firearms. Winston Churchill used one at the Battle of Omdurman in the Mahdi's War, and Han Solo used one (with aftermarket add-ons) in the cantina at Mos Eisley. Beat that for nerditude! 

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »
Don't know anything about the Mauser line ... I thought broom sticks had longer barrels, but this one has a short (5-6") barrel, and had a vertical magazine receptacle with no magaizine ...

The only stripper clips I have ever seen were used in the Garand M1 and M1 Carbine, were fed thorugh the top with a closed bottom on the clip.

This Mauser had a wooden holster that became a stock, and open clip bottom with rounded front and rear edges of the magazine receptacle.

I would again like to stress that I know very little about Mauser pistols, and had questions based on my very small knowledge of Mauser magazines, stripper clips et al.

And I don't wish give out bad info just because I had very little knowledge of the weapon .... and I could not see the armorer making the same mistake over and over

NCOWS #3403

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
Ah My Dear Wadd -

As others have posted, and  you can see on this link the "fixed magazine" C96 with 5 or 6 inch barrel  plus wooden stock/holster and stripper clip

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Mauser_C96_M1916_Red_9_7.JPG

while the above is a "Red 9" (ie: 9mm so marked with the red number 9 on the grip) the pistol in "Joe Kidd" was a 7.63

here is more reading for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96

One of the enjoyable features of the film "Joe Kidd" was the correct use of period transitional firearms,such as the  Mauser C96 but especially the early scoped bolt action rifles, the Ross Model 1910 and the Remington-Keene Deluxe Sporter .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
All I remember about the movie is the really nice 1899 Savage rifle. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »
I was a kid when I first saw Joe Kidd on TV.  I watched with my dad.  I vividly remember asking about the gun, as it looked like nothing John Wayne would carry.   He explained the Broom Handled Mauser to me and pointed out in a scene where the bad guy inserts a stripper clip.    He mentioned carrying a M-1 in Korea, (one of the rare times he would speak about the Korean War) and explained the stripper clip concept to me.   So, WWE, great excuse to watch it again and look for the scene where the badguy loads it using a stripper clip.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
All I remember about the movie is the really nice 1899 Savage rifle. ;D

Me too.That was a really nice one.As for Broomhandles,I lusted after one ever since sitting in the theatre watching Lawrence of Arabia in 1962.Finally aquired one 3 years ago,a nice WW1 bringback with stock.I'm still looking for a M1899.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »
Yeah, its a c96 Broomhandle, what you think is the magazine recepticle is actualy a closed bottom magazine, fed from the top with the bolt back via a 10 round stripper clip. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Drydock et al,

Thanks for the education on C96 Mausers ... I thought they all loaded from a clip at the bottom ... now it seems to load like a M1a with stripper clips from the top ... now M1s I understand ... I carried one all through highschool ... no PT ... just three hours close order derill a week with an M1 ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com