Author Topic: S&W charging tool & 'speed loader'  (Read 6474 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
S&W charging tool & 'speed loader'
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
In "The Revolver - 1865-88" by AWF Taylerson, I ran across a patent drawing and sketch of a device described as:

" ... the revolver quick-loader to end all such engines ...". "Magazine, suited for revolving small arms (adapted to be secured to the body of a horseman) capable of holding a large number of charges of ammunition and having contrivances by means of which all the chambers of a revolver may be charged instantly and in any weather."
The 'revolver charger' packed 30 rds of ammo for the S&W Army top break and the 'charger' replenished it. At least as far as I can determine from the drawings. It shows a belt mounted unit in use and the scabbard for carrying it.
The British patent is 1561/1878, applied for from Lowell, Mass. by Americans Rollin White and A.W. Wheeler. I 'googled' it and got nowhere. There has to be a reference source somewhere.
This has got to be the ultimate 'gamers' tool for CAS! I can't believe that the Italians haven't come up with a repro for the S&W top break revolvers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: S&W charging tool & 'speed loader'
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
THere were several of these patented over the years, though few were manufactured, and none lasted on the market longer than their introductory year.  Because they simply did not work very well.  THe Army tested several, and reported rapid breakage in the field, along with a propensity to drop the whole lot on the first attempted reload. 

No use for these in most CAS situations, and the few outfits that empasize reloads do not allow loading aids.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Howdy

This board is acting a little bit strange. I posted this drawing yesterday, but today it disappeared. Is this what we are talking about?

That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:01:10 AM »

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
Cool.....sure beats using a modern .45 Colt HKS Speed loader!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
Yup - that's the item! Much better pics than in my reference book.

I still think it would be a great historic accessory and way to charge a S&W at a match. Modern technology is up to the task of working out the bugs to make it reliable. It's just a matter of demand.
Wasn't too many years ago, most of the current CAS guns we enjoy were not in production or lacking in quality control.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »
...No use for these in most CAS situations, and the few outfits that empasize reloads do not allow loading aids.

Sarge, better say it again as I think he didn't hear you.  ;D :D ;)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
I think "Sarge" can speak for himself ....

Notwithstanding that it can't be used for reloading in a SASS match, it would make a cool looking accessory, instead of the usual useless Bowie knife or some such. Sort of like the box of Blakeslee reloaders for the Spencer, whether used or not. Got a problem with that?
I generally don't care much much for what SASS thinks or says in general. Any reason it could NOT be used for the initial loading?

Tell ya what, FCK, if some enterprising maker comes out with one for the S&W's, DON"T buy it!

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »
...Tell ya what, FCK, if some enterprising maker comes out with one for the S&W's, DON"T buy it!

Why would I? They are NOT allowed in CAS matches + I am not a "gamer".  ;)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
Glad to hear it! Peace, brother.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:43:28 AM »
Howdy Again

Studying the drawings, it looks like a pretty big, clumsy device. I sure don't think I would want one dangling from my belt.

The interesting thing is that Rollin White was one of the patent engineers. Rollin White was the guy who patented the whole idea of boring the chambers through a revolver cylinder so it could accept cartridges. When S&W designed their first revolver they discovered White had beaten them to the punch with this idea and they wound up paying him a royalty of 50 cents on every revolver they produced.

The other interesting thing is that you mention the patent was applied for from Lowell Mass. I live a stone's throw from there, I wonder what White was doing in Lowell. Lowell was a textile city, the first in the US. It had a huge amount of mills devoted to manufacturing textiles, but I never heard any mention of White being here.

P.S. Well, seek and ye shall find. Apparently White set up his own Rollin White Firearms company in Lowell in 1861 when S&W could not keep up with the demand for their new pocket revolvers. When White left the company in 1864, the name was changed to Lowell Arms Company. I never knew that. So that must be when he patented the loading dohickey.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com