Author Topic: '66 Short Rifle - Black Powder Sub  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Buffalo Bruce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'66 Short Rifle - Black Powder Sub
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »
Pards:

I am about to purchase the above rifle in 44 special. I usually use American Pioneer Powder, if I want a little more zip I may use 777. Any thoughts as to the 44 spl as a BP cartridge. Do I have to be overly concerned about the brass in the rifle? I know it attacks cartridge brass.  Thanks

Buffalo Bruce

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1244
Re: '66 Short Rifle - Black Powder Sub
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:03 PM »
Howdy Bruce,
I have the same gun, one of the first 44 spcl '66's imported in 2000.  I have shot a lot of APP, 777, and BP in it.  I tried the 777 with a 254 gr bullet and neck-sized-only brass in an attempt to find a load hot enough to expand the brass to seal the chamber to minimize fouling in the action.  It didn't help  ;) .  The only thing I didn't try was annealing the brass.  Might be the Uberti .44 spcl chambers are generous, I don't know.  So, I just give the carrier a spritz of either moosemilk or plain water if it gets sticky in the middle of the match, no big deal.  .44 Spcl is a fine cartridge, easy to load and accurate. While BP gives a nice patina to the brass frame if left unpolished,  I will say that both APP and 777 will stain the brass in spots, so be sure to wipe it off good ASAP after shooting, or even in the middle of a match, or live with the stains.   I used to polish it once a year or so, but nowadays try to stick with real BP for the smokey stuff and let it patina.  The oil you use to lube the carrier area when you clean it will keep any fouling inside the action neutralized so it won't hurt the innards, although it will get goopy in there.

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
    Wash the BP brass with soap and water, using a brush inside.

J.L.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:16:58 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bruce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Bruce

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:52:59 AM »
Annealing the brass will definitely pretty much eliminate blowby.  It has in my .45 Colt which has a generous chamber.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »

Unlike Black Powder, the Subs are corrosive in and of themselves.  Chemically corrosive.  It doesn't take long for a brass Carrier Block to solidly corrode to a brass Receiver.  It can get real ugly.  Clean the subs out of a brass rifle soonest after shooting.

Coffinmaker 

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:29 AM »
Deprime by hand and do NOT resize the cases.  ;)  Of course, you will need to shoot those ctgs. in that exact gun. I never resize 44-40's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com