Author Topic: "Tom Horn" suspenders?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Tom Horn" suspenders?
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
Gents,

Go back and watch "Tom Horn" with Steve McQueen.  In this movie, he wears green, button-on suspenders with thin blue stripes.  Any idea where to find a pair of these?  I have checked with all of the "usual suspects"...

Mossyrock
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "Tom Horn" suspenders?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:19:26 AM »
I would look at Civil War sutlers first.  Fall Creek Sutlery,  Blockade Runner, S& S Sutlers, C & D Jarnagin and Regimental Quartermaster.  You may not be able to find the exact material but thin striped were common then.

If you or a friend are handy with a sewing machine, go to a fabric store and buy striped 'osnaburg', 'canvas'  or 'ticking' material.  You can buy piercing buckles from a Civil war sutler and make them.  Needle & Thread in Gettysburg has material and the period hardware.  Not as quick as using a card and ordering a pair, but you'll be the only guy who has em'!

Good luck,

PhP 

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
I would look at Civil War sutlers first.  Fall Creek Sutlery,  Blockade Runner, S& S Sutlers, C & D Jarnagin and Regimental Quartermaster.  You may not be able to find the exact material but thin striped were common then.

If you or a friend are handy with a sewing machine, go to a fabric store and buy striped 'osnaburg', 'canvas'  or 'ticking' material.  You can buy piercing buckles from a Civil war sutler and make them.  Needle & Thread in Gettysburg has material and the period hardware.  Not as quick as using a card and ordering a pair, but you'll be the only guy who has em'!

Good luck,

PhP 

Thanks, Pete.  Great resources.  Unfortunately, no joy on the suspenders.   :-[
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:32:08 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »
Howdy Mossyrock,
I haven't seen Tom Horn in a long time and don't have the movie in my collection.  Are the suspenders green with two skinny blue stripes down the middle and a skinny light gray stripe down the outside edges?  If so, I have a pair of those in a Y-back elastic style that I got maybe ten years ago from some CAS vendor that I can't recall.  But River Junction carries an X-back pair that appears to be the same color:
http://www.riverjunction.com/X-Back-Suspender--Elastic-_p_239.html
I also noticed some time back that either Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot had the same color style braces in one of their movies, and Jeff Osterhage as Tyrell Sackett wears them in The Sacketts.
Hope that helps.

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:04:35 PM »
Howdy Mossyrock,
I haven't seen Tom Horn in a long time and don't have the movie in my collection.  Are the suspenders green with two skinny blue stripes down the middle and a skinny light gray stripe down the outside edges?  If so, I have a pair of those in a Y-back elastic style that I got maybe ten years ago from some CAS vendor that I can't recall.  But River Junction carries an X-back pair that appears to be the same color:
http://www.riverjunction.com/X-Back-Suspender--Elastic-_p_239.html
I also noticed some time back that either Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot had the same color style braces in one of their movies, and Jeff Osterhage as Tyrell Sackett wears them in The Sacketts.
Hope that helps.

Yup, those are the ones I am looking for, preferably in "Y" back.
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 645
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
I have a pair I've had since I was a teenager--I think they were my dad's. They are just as you describe.  The only brand is on the adjustment buckles.  They say "Police Brace".  Don't know if that helps. 
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com