Author Topic: Governor has denied a posthumous pardon for Billy the Kid  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Windy City Joe

• If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Governor has denied a posthumous pardon for Billy the Kid
« on: December 31, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
Governor has denied a posthumous pardon for Billy the Kid.

Legend says that the notorious gunslinger of the Wild West was promised a pardon in exchange for testifying in a 19th-century murder trial. But authorities in the then-U.S. territory of New Mexico allegedly broke their promise, and the pardon never came. Billy the Kid was shot to death in 1881 after escaping from a jail where he was awaiting execution for killing a sheriff. He was 21.

An Albuquerque trial attorney and Old West history buff, Randi McGinn, filed a petition for Billy the Kid's pardon earlier this year, nearly 130 years after his death. "This injustice should be corrected," the petition states. "A promise is a promise."

"Historical ambiguity" over the reported pardon promised to Billy the Kid led New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson to deny a petition for a posthumous pardon.

But New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson turned down the petition today, telling ABC's "Good Morning America" that the facts of the case don't support a pardon.

Born as Henry McCarty, "the Kid" became a criminal celebrity in America in the late 19th century, committing a string of violent crimes and evading authorities while he was still a teenager. He became embroiled in the Lincoln County, N.M., war of the late 1870s, a violent struggle between groups of cattle ranchers and merchants. In 1878, Sheriff William Brady -- rumored to be the secret agent of a rival Lincoln County faction -- was shot dead. McCarty was convicted of murder and sentenced to hang.

Held under indictment, McCarty is believed to have struck a deal with Territorial Gov. Lew Wallace, a former Civil War general appointed to govern New Mexico before it became a U.S. state. In exchange for testifying in a murder trial, McCarty would go free and all charges against him would be dropped, including those related to Brady's killing. He testified but wasn't freed as promised, and he later escaped from jail. Historians have pored over details of the supposed agreement for generations, trying to trace what exactly was promised and who betrayed whom.

Announcing his decision not to pardon McCarty, Richardson today cited that "historical ambiguity."

"I've decided not to pardon Billy the Kid because of a lack of conclusiveness and the historical ambiguity as to why Governor Wallace reneged on his pardon," Richardson told ABC.

Many of the murders and misdeeds attributed to McCarty were never proven in court, but he's believed to have killed as many as 21 people -- one for every year of his life. Legends about his exploits grew after the sheriff who ended up killing him, Pat Garrett, published a sensational biography titled "The Authentic Life of Billy, the Kid."

Richardson waited until the last minute to announce his decision in the McCarty case. He was required to do so before he leaves the governor's office at midnight tonight. Beforehand, Richardson -- a self-described Billy the Kid buff -- set up a website inviting comments from the public, any relatives of the historical figures involved and historians.

"As someone who is fascinated with New Mexico's rich history, I've always been intrigued by the story of Billy the Kid and, in particular, the alleged promise of a pardon he was given by Territorial Gov. Lew Wallace," Richardson said in a statement earlier this month.

But in the end, he said, the evidence just wasn't there. "It was a very close call. I've been working on this for eight years. The romanticism appealed to me to issue a pardon, but the facts and the evidence did not support it and I've got to be responsible, especially when a governor is issuing pardons," Richardson told ABC.

Some members of Garrett's family opposed the pardon, saying it would essentially mean that their ancestor killed a free man, not a felon, in 1881.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/31/bill-richardson-no-pardon-for-billy-the-kid/

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Governor has denied a posthumous pardon for Billy the Kid
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
I think Bill R made the right decision.  After all, Billy the Kid is an important item in terms of NM tourism.  Pardoned bad guys are not nearly as interesting! ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
No matter what else happened he killed two law enforcement officers in his famous escape who had nothing to do with his not getting a pardon.  To pardon him would be an insult to the memory of every law enforcement officer ever murdered in the line of duty.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:29:19 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:02:56 AM »
+1
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 32152
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:05:36 AM »
Governor Richardson did the right thing, I am not criminalist nor a criminalogist. But to pardon a confessed killer of any kind would be bad press.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

Offline Koyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:17:33 AM »
Governor Richardson did the right thing, I am not criminalist nor a criminalogist. But to pardon a confessed killer of any kind would be bad press.
I agree completely:
 Great decision..My state would have pardoned him as we have done a couple times with someone with 3 life sentences , only to have them kill someone else.
 Hope that is the end of it for Billy The Kid!!!
Let's leave history be!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL PARDS!!!!
Koyote ~!~

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
I agree completely:
 Great decision..My state would have pardoned him as we have done a couple times with someone with 3 life sentences , only to have them kill someone else.
 Hope that is the end of it for Billy The Kid!!!
Let's leave history be!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL PARDS!!!!

Regardless of what you think of the decision, I seriously doubt that Billy's ghost is going to jump out of the grave and kill someone else!  ::)  Were this a case where a deceased person was wrongly convicted of a crime he/she didn't commit (such as those cases where DNA evidence or a confession by another changed what might have been the outcome), then such a pardon is certainly justified, if only to remove the taint from the accused's family reputation.

In this instance, it doesn't make much difference since there are no verified descendents of The Kid, and about all Richardson's consideration accomplished was to gain him a bit of publicity, for whatever purpose, just before leaving office as governor of New Mexico.  Next topic...

Happy New Year, all!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
No matter what else happened he killed two law enforcement officers in his famous escape who had nothing to do with his not getting a pardon.  To pardon him would be an insult to the memory of every law enforcement officer ever murdered in the line of duty.
Yep, let Billy rot in Hades with the other trash.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »
Come on guys, Billy is very important to the tourist industry in NM!  Pardoned bad men are not nearly as interesting as un-pardoned nar-do-wells! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
I concur with Governor Richard's decision as well.  Perhaps Billy should have been pardoned for an earlier crime but I think he voided that promise when he killed several others in the meantime.   

I visited Billy's grave about two years ago while TDY/TAD to Cannon AFB in NM.  My real intent was to visit Fort Sumner/Bosque Redondo , where the Navahos were incarcerated following their defeat during the Navaho War in 1864.  Billy is buried a few miles up the road.  My main Old West interest is primarily focused on the miliitary (go figure) but as Billy is an icon of the time I thought it worthwhile at least to stop. 

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
Visits to historical sites are almost always interesting.  I tracked one minor historical figure for twenty years; finally found him where he can't get away from me no more!  In L.A.'s Inglewood Cemetary!  ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com