Author Topic: 56-50 brass to 56-56  (Read 4347 times)

Offline 5judge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
56-50 brass to 56-56
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
Query: I've got the opportunity to purchase a large quantity of purpose-sold 56-50 brass relatively cheap. I understand it will have to be trimmed to length, about 1.1", if memory serves. Would it also require the brass at the cases' mouths to be reamed? THAT would be a deal breaker.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 56-50 brass to 56-56
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
The 56-56 uses a healed bass bullet so you may get away without reaming but unlickly,the trim lenth will depend on the bullet yoused,you have to work out the OAL you want (I youse the Rapine 546375 as a standard,measure from the start of the heal to the nose,if you want a OAL of 1.65 inch, your can work your case lenth out from this and it should work well

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
Probably, but an even BIGGER deal breaker is that if the brass you bought is Starline then the case head is too small to reliably extract in an original 56-50.  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:54:24 PM »

Offline 5judge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Hummm. Starline also sells 56-56 brass. Does it function out of the box in an original Spencer of that calibre?

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »
Hummm. Starline also sells 56-56 brass. Does it function out of the box in an original Spencer of that calibre?

Nope. Only in a few select '65 Spencers. However, in the spirit of Xmas I shall endeavor to assuage your pain and pay 10 cents on the case.  ;D :D ;)  Just kiddin'.  ;)

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »
A few years ago Fox Creek Kid loaned me a few pieces of Starline .56-50 brass to try in my Spencers.  As expected, the rim was too narrow to extract reliably in the M1860 and M1865 models that use the long, narrow extractor.  They did, however, extract well in an M1867 using the Lane extractor.  I have not tried Starline brass in a New Model (primarily because I don't own a New Model--yet), but I suspect it would not work in that model either.  So, if you happen upon a Lane extractor Spencer, you may be able to save a little $$ on brass.

And to Fox Creek Kid, thanks again for your help of years ago.

--DJ

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
I have been lucky,every Spencer I have tryed the Starline brass in it has worked in both 56-56 & 56-50,only one rifle gave me a little trouble(placing a inward curve on the leading edge of the blade extractor and anealing the brass fixed this)So my advice to people before paying more for the proper brass(which will work every time) is try the Starline brass (just 1 or 2),it will need to be anealed and fire formed to work at its best but if it does you can save your self money and time

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »
DJ, I haven't tried Starline brass, but cases formed from 348 Winchester (which has very close to the same head dimensions) will only reliably extract with the Lane extractor. The NM short blade doesn't work any better than the M-1860/65 on undersize case heads.   

Merry Christmas to all SSS members, and good shooting in 2011!

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 12:15:41 AM »
Before writing off the youse of Starline brass take a look a SSS member Jack Wagon s YouTube video of shooting a original Spencer with Starline brass,I am not saying it will work in every Spencer ,IT just so hapens it has for me and many others,any way they say a picture is worth a thousand words ,just scroll down to you see Jack Wagons Spencer you-tube video an watch how the brass works then make up your mind weather it is worth trying

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
56-50 brass to 56-56 (or, Starline brass in originals)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »
Here are some details on my efforts with Starline brass (which is, in my opinion, very good brass):

With single-loaded empty cases, the extractor would *usually* pull the brass out sufficiently for the cartridge guide to lift it and "eject" it from the action.  With a fired case, or one that was a little bit "sticky," the extractor would start to pull the case out, but there was enough room in the action, with the narrow rim of the brass, for the brass to shift slightly to the right after it was partway out of the chamber, and the extractor would then slip past the rim on the left.  If the rim had been slightly wider, or the extractor slightly thicker (or the opening in the receiver slightly narrower) there would not have been enough room for the extractor to pass between the wall of the receiver and the rim of the cartridge.  But on my guns, there is enough room, and that's what frequently happened. 

Of course the best way to figure this out is probably to buy a dozen pieces of Starline brass and try it.  If it works, fine.  If it doesn't, then you have the perfect excuse to buy a Spencer with a Lane extractor to go with your brass. 

Merry Christmas to all, and good shooting in the New Year.

--DJ

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 03:57:23 AM »
The extraction problem you just describe can be fixed by ensuring the extractor pivit hole is not worn so it can flop about and that the extractor has the proper inward curve on the edge that conects with the rim(the extractor is flat spring steel with a slight twist in it and if it is working properly should push the case to the right wall of the frame all the way back)you will see this in Spencers that are in very good condition,but over time the curve tends to disapear because it is cept under full compresion( all springs will do this over time)this is easly fixed.But as you were saying with the larger rim this will not be a problem

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com