Author Topic: New Schofield Holsters  (Read 10204 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Schofield Holsters
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
I could never find what I wanted ... a lowered old timey looking set of holsters and belt for my 7" Schofields.

So I saw the possibility of lowering a set of holsters copied from the ones Johnny Ringo wore in Tombstone.

I also raised the flap on the front of the holster so that it covered the hammer and recoil shield as it would have done in 1875-1880.

Other than my very puerile sewing (hey, it was my first leatherworking and first holster!) I am very pleased at the outcome. The holsters are low enough to make drawing these brutes easier, but still retain alot of Old West Flavor ... and in the attachment is a picture of how the holsters were supposed to look ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
Re: New Schofield Holsters
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:08:04 AM »
I think that is a fine looking rig.  Looks too pretty to be your first try at holsters.  Very nice.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Silver Rings,

I really lucked out on how the holsters turned out ... and honest, this is actually my first leather project since I made the classic wallet in summer camp while in Junior High ... and we will leave it that many decades have gone by since then ...

But if you have any doubts of my neophyte status, just look at the stitching .... LOL.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:09:26 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
Silver Rings,

I should probably add that I cannot take credit for the Dave Cole knife and sheath ... I mailed Dave a pic of the original rig and he not only made the matching knife (i.e, the scales match the grips on my Schofields), but made a sheath from leather I sent him (that I was making the holsters from) that matched the 'Cheyenne' style double loop holsters, all the way down to the spots ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
WWE;  That rig will be the only clothes those Schofields will ever wear from here to ...! 8) 8)

Great! :)  Your first effort?  Coulda fooled me.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:04 PM »
Sir Charles,

You are entirely too kind, sir ...

But to put the kindess where it was due, I bought Will Ghomley's plans and went from there ...

Then, I had an instructor from the local Tandy Leather come over and give me lessons ... Randy Marler was really kind and personal about the 'lessons', too. When I was going to do something really insane/stupid or just plain dangerous, he would give me the 'Well, you could do it that way  ...  but here is how I  would do it .....'

Then there was WC, who through his Standing Bear Trading Post, personally picked out a side of pre-dyed black hyde that turned out gorgeous ... not to mention his wonderful customer service person Sandi, who exemplifies good customer service ... I don't know how she did it, but if I needed a new thingamjiggy or some esoteric thing, it was always here the second day.

If you ever need anything, I would give these people your time and interest ... they rock!

And JD, thanks for your friendship and moral support ... if it wasn't for you, I would never have called WC to ge this ball rolling ...

So if any credit be given, it was to these kind folks .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »

Well Wad, you got it finished, and you did a fine job, you would never know it was your first rig, now we will be looking for more from you, what's nice about working with leather is, you make it the way you want it, Great job pard. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »
Ten Wolves,

Thanks so much for all your help and support .... as I said, I am pleased with the outcome, but it was the cumulative supposrt of all on this forum that really kept me going ....

But then I see people like JD and yourself who have such lovely coloring and leather work, I feel like the charactert in 'Wayne's World' ...
'Like, I'm not worthy, man!' ... LOL ...

BTW, I made a plywood template to make the holsers, and I can send a tracing to anyone who would like one ....

BTW # 2 ... I am almost (90%) finished with a matching shotgun loop matching belt ... and I will post it when I have it done ...
 ???

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
WWE;  Credit where credit is due, and there are many knowledgeable & helpful folks out there, but YOU put it all together.

Wear it with pride!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 01:56:42 AM »
Sir Charles,

I am proud of it

But just as history is built on the backs of those who have gone before, I am just plagiarizing ideas of other people ... but the combination of ideas did work .... and I am both pleased and relieved that it did .....

But now I am vain enough that I have to get a whole black outfit to go along with it ... LOL.

Then next on the list is a pair of cowboy cuffs with spots on the botton and top and slotted conchos in the middle ... and lastly is a pair of one piece spur straps edged in spots ....

And what is scarey is that I have enough left over from the black dyed hyde to do all these projects .... *S*.

I just have to order Will Ghormley's Cowboy Cuffs Pattern ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
Hi,

I have put this on the leather Forum long ago, but promised I would add this, so here it is ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com