Author Topic: Short rifle or carbine?  (Read 7039 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

Short rifle or carbine?
« on: May 07, 2004, 10:27:38 AM »
Howdy pards,

If you were going to get a 73 in a shorter style, what would you pick?  Does your answer change if the cartridge is big or small?

Thanks for the help,

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Short rifle or carbine?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 11:01:02 PM »
I shot .44special/mag Marlin 1894 carbines (not the later Cowboy models) and liked their simplicity for take down and cleaning. Both mine are very accurate and reliable. But then I bought a Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle in .44 special. And then I bought a Cimarron 1866 Short Rifle in .44 special. I had them slicked up & short stroked by Owen Muny and a Marlin style brass bead front sight installed. They lever just like the Marlins I was used to, sight like the Marlins and are just slightly muzzle heavier than the Marlins which makes them a little smoother for me. They also hold a few more cartridges in the magazine for "Team" shoots. Not only that, I think they  look prettier, too.

I vote for the short rifle over the carbine.

Standpat Steve, SASS #113, Calif.
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 11:33:04 PM »
Short rifle for sure!  The carbine is too light to be stable at high speeds.

But you know me...  I have a short rifle and a 24 inch.  Might sell the 24inch and get another 20.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:47:25 AM »

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 12:51:44 AM »
BHF,

I really love the looks of the Cimarron Short Border Rifle. There is something about the pistol grip stock and the octagon barrel that just sets it apart. I am saving my pennies to get one in .44 special to go with my pair of .44 mag Rugers. I also like the looks of the 1860's model Henry's, but I would rather have an iron frame version than the high polished brass frame one (gives away your position when you are playing "hide and go seek"!). 
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 04:15:26 AM »
Cover and concealment and most of all!  Officer safety.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »
Use a carbine.  Either of the rifles (short or long) feel too muzzle heavy.  I like a long gun that I can move quickly.

Offline Ruff Justice

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 10:02:54 AM »
Howdy all,

I know this might be a stupid question.  ::) But what is the difference between a short rifle and a carbine?
Rufford B. "Ruff" Justice
SASS #16965, WASA #155, GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Orlando, FL

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 10:13:02 AM »
Ruff, the short rifle has the octagon barrel, but at 20 inches.  The carbine, historically, had a 20 inch barrel as well, but was round, the Ubertis have 19 inch barrels.

I'm looking at a 73, in 45 for a mounted Ranger type persona.
Adios,

Offline Ruff Justice

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 10:15:50 AM »
Howdy Big Hext Finnigan,

So a round verus an octogonal barrel is the only difference? Are the octogonal barrels heavier? I was under the impression reading the posts that the short rifles were more stable due to weight.
RO I & II
Orlando, FL

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 12:05:01 PM »
The octoganal barrels are heavier.  Course, a 38 is heavier than a 45 too.  The hole in the barrel is bigger for the 45!

Doc

Offline Ruff Justice

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 08:24:25 PM »
Doc,

LOL!  :D If it was .50 caliber the hole would be bigger still.

So when they assemble a carbine/border rifle, the only difference between the two is the barrel?
RO I & II
Orlando, FL

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 09:08:29 PM »
Sights too I think, but those are easily replaceable.  Wood configuration might be a little different, eg. length and size of the forearm.

Doc

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 10:06:45 PM »
The short rifle uses an end cap on the forearm and the carbine uses a band.
The short rifle uses a dovetail front sight and a dovetail magazine tube attachment and the carbine uses a barrel band and the sight may be attached to the band.
On most examples I have seen, the buttstock is different, in terms of drop and in terms of the butt contour. 
And of course the barrel is different, but I think that is the sum fo the differences.

Adios,

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 08:20:50 AM »
Hext, although I have always preferred the short rifle, maybe because they weren't as common.   However since you want it for a Ranger impression perhaps the saddle ring carbine would be more appropriate.  I would suggest you look at as many ranger photos as possible and see which you find more of and see if that influences your decision.   Weight might have been a factor for a man who spent so much time in the saddle.  After all he would need to carry all his grub, utensils, ammo and other necessities.
I suspect this is the reason that the carbine was popular with mounted men.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 08:52:52 AM »
Howdy Will,

Good thoughts.. and I have to admit that is the way I started out thinking.  But after a bit of research it appears that the 20 inch barrel was often called the Border Rifle, because it was used by so many Texas Rangers on the Tex/Mex border.  So.. then I'm thinking about how much I like the look of the short rifle.  Interestingly, most of the pictures of Rangers from later days, many of them are carrying 76 rifles.  Big bore ruled, or at least in pictures. ;)

I may even get one in 38-40 or 44-40 with an eye to shooting BP down the way.  Ain't it fun to make up yer mind when the money is tight so you don't have to do anything now.

Gracias,

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 10:26:44 PM »
Big Hext,
Afore you spend money try out each one shooting. I just sold a short rifle because it turns out I don't like the feel of it. I started with a 24" marlin and it still fits the best. I have a 73 carbine and it is ok but the 66 short rifle was not balanced nor fitted well for me. Might have been different if I had started with one though. Don't know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com