Author Topic: 1874 Sharps and 45-70 Cartridges  (Read 3071 times)

Offline jolasa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1874 Sharps and 45-70 Cartridges
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
New Sharps 45-70.

Fired 10 cartridges, had one misfire (primer did not fire).  Using top notch ammo (Ten-X).  I have never had a misfire with my older Sharps after about 800 rounds.  

So am little bit worried about the new Sharps.

Looking at the firing pin impression, it is off center almost to the edge of the primer.

Should the firing pin be strking the dead center of the primer.  Could this off-center firing pin be causing misfires?

Do I have a defective Sharps?

See the following picture.  The red dot is where the firing pin is hitting on the silver colored primer.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: 1874 Sharps and 45-70 Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:41 PM »
The firing pin should hit center or very near it. The breech block is too high in your case and is due most likely to the lever being incorrectly shaped. If the breech block is level with the loading groove when opened then the lever link could be too long closeing the block high, none the less send it back for repair or replacement.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »
Do I have a defective Sharps?
jolasa, could be.  Look at the firing pin hole in the block.  If the diameter is larger than the pin or the hole is 'egg shaped', you have a defective firing pin hole in the block.  The off center strike on the primer has nothing to do with misfires. As for the misfires, check the the length of the pin, plus determine the shape of the end of the pin
Now the magic question ... how well did you clean the new rifle?  There may be crud in the firing pin hole of the block on the spring.  Drop the block and give it a good bath and then see if you issue goes away
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:39:50 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com