Author Topic: Anybody Got a 'Blue Gun' Schofield?  (Read 6170 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anybody Got a 'Blue Gun' Schofield?
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
That he wants to loan (or rent) out?

I have gotten my holsters up to the point of sewing and molding them, but I hate to use the 'shooters' that I have to mold the holsters.

I thought, what if someone had a 'blue Schofield gun' and wanted to get back some of their original investment by renting it out?

Soulds logical to me ... anyone interested?

If you wish to keep it on the 'QT' please feel free to email me ... my address is on my profile ....

Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Old No7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Anybody Got a 'Blue Gun' Schofield?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »
Well partner, if that request doesn't work...

I recently saw a post over on LeverGuns forum, where a guy double vacuum-sealed his NICE revolver in heavy duty food-saver bags -- and that worked out really well to protect his gun while he wet-molded/formed his holsters.

You might have better luck borrowing one of those vacuum food savers.

Just be sure not to pop it into the freezer or microwave when you're done...  ;)

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline Wild Billy Potts

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
In all the holsters I've bought that weren't molded when they came, I wrapped the gun in saran wrap and molded it that way. Hasn't been a problem yet.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:29:42 AM »

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:32:16 AM »
How about getting one of these?
http://gun-sword.stores.yahoo.net/aac-220.html
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:39:57 AM »
Qball,

Sac City Dry Goods sells them, and as a docent I get a good deal on the price, so I have considered getting a pair of them ... but after the holsters were made, I would rarely have a use for them ....

But I am just about to request to have the thread deleted ... just doesn't seem to be any interest (or possibly availalbility)...

These are good ideas, but already considered ... the best one so far seems  to buy a couple of non-firing pistols ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:15:14 AM »
Wad:
Coat your gun with oil and wrap it in saran wrap. I've done it many time and it works like a charm.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:56 AM »
Doc,

That surely is an option; I also know a man who has a vacuum gluing machine which would work very nicely to 'cold mold' holsters into the perfect mold .... both great options that I hava available to me if I don't find what now seems to be that almost mythical blue Schoefield ....

I still have time .... right now I still have to sew the holsters up and slide them in the loops of the Cheyenne-style dropped loop holsters that I have made ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:09:38 AM »
I am sorry, but what is a "blue Schofield?"

Zip
So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »
I am sorry, but what is a "blue Schofield?"

Zip

Blue rubber guns for training.'

http://www.botachtactical.com/blueguns.html
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »
You might also try Duncan Customs, Inc., in Bay City, MI, www.duncansoutdoor.com or Ph: 989-894-6691.  Don't know if they carry a Schofield dummy gun (theirs are aluminum castings), or not.  Also, you need to specify whether yours is a Uberti or S&W Schofield 2000, as there is a slight difference.

Frankly, I form all my holsters using either an original, wrapped in a plastic baggie, or Saran wrap, as follows:

First, wet the holster inside and out with plain lukewarm tap water. (Do NOT soak it in a bucket of water overnight!)  Smooth out any rivulets or droplets of water so it doesn't watermark.

Wrap the gun in the plastic baggie or Saran wrap and insert the gun in the holster.  Since the S&W topbreak guns don't have an ejector rod housing on the side, you don't need to worry too much about fitting the leather to that.  You will have to form the holster out around the rear sight.  I use a piece of 2-3 oz. leather scrap sandwiched between the sight and the inside top front of the holster body.  If necessary, you can buy a piece of 7/8" dia. hardwood wooden dowel rod, sand the end round and use this to expand the holster body down around the toe.  I keep several sizes of these dowels on hand. 

When the leather has dried a few hours, remove the gun and allow the holster to dry for a few more hours or even overnight without the gun in it.  Then check the fit again.  You may need to twist the gun in the holster slightly to get it to loosen up.  After that, allow the holster to dry for a couple of days or until it FEELS dry to the touch.  That should do it.  If not, you can always repeat the process.

After the leather is thoroughly dry, treat the outside with a LIGHT application of Lexol(R) Leather Conditioner.  NEVER use plain Neat's Foot Oil on leather!

Happy Holidays!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 07:46:53 PM »
TrailRider,

Thanks for the address; I'll check them out ...

The guns turn out to fit the holsters nicely without any molding ... but I have a woodworker friend with this vacuum bag set up for cold molding ... that might just work!

Also, when I was redesigning the holster, I drew in a big notch in the front of the holster go insure that the toplatch was never disconnected by the holster ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com