Author Topic: 1897 winchesrer takedown or solid frame  (Read 2514 times)

Offline bill11

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1897 winchesrer takedown or solid frame
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
would it be better to buy a takedown 1897 shotgun or a solid frame.  what barrel length and choke are most used in cas.  i am just starting to aquire equipment.     thanks   bill

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 1897 winchesrer takedown or solid frame
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
The solid frame is just a bit lighter than the take down but they generally cost more.  Both are fine guns.

No choke needed. 

Barrel length again is a matter of personal choice.  My favorite '97 has had the barrel cut down to just barely legal.  Two reasons, one it makes the gun lighter (which helps me run faster LOL) and two because if I have to shoot through something I want as little of the barrel of the gun through there as possible and often you end up on a board walk shooting through windows or doors.  The short barrel allows me to stay on the board walk and shoot through the windows and doors with jamming my gun in there.  If you stick a 30" barrel through a window you have to pull it all the way back out before you can turn and run. 

Yeah yeah it's only a few seconds but in a stage that only last 20 or 25 seconds using 2 to pull the barrel of a gun out of a window is 1.98 too many.  Especially if you have to shoot through multiple windows.

Anyway 20" is about average probably and you won't see many at all over 24".

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
The Chinese clones are all solid frames. I've been shooting a solid frame clone for several years and just recently aquired a "real" '97 takedown. The takedown is just a little bit longer from the front of the receiver to the foregrip and just a little heavier. I personnally like the extra distance for my long arms. the clones are also going to be cheaper than a real one.

Grapevine Jimmy
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:15:37 AM »

Offline bill11

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 04:22:35 PM »
thanks for the help   i think i will get a riot gun 1897. i find it hard to have a reciever that says made in china on it even though they work fine.  i also have longer arms so a gun like yours would probobly suit me well.     bill

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »
I have a 26" brush gun with a full choke- thats a nice model if you can find 'em. As you are set on an original '97 there are several good gunsmithing DVDs out. Even if you never turn a screw on it they can be a big help in understanding the gun and what to look for, Larry Crow has one I think. and also Bob Dunlap from AGI. Believe me, the '97 takes some understanding. There are a lot of them out there.. Manufactured from 1897 to 1957, and reasonably priced in general. Lots of parts available.. no need to give the Chinese any more money - they have enough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com