Author Topic: Pioneer Gun Works Coil Mainspring Conversion Kit for Uberti 73  (Read 16872 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pioneer Gun Works Coil Mainspring Conversion Kit for Uberti 73
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
Since we're jawin' about 'race guns', 'speed shootin', 'short stroke kits', etc., I'm with Montana Slim on this one. T'was a time in SASS when the stock answer to equipment eligibility was: "If John Wayne would use it, it's OK." That went by the board a long time ago.
I took a hiatus from CAS when you still wore one gun and the .44/.45 was 'King'. I came back to find everyone wearing two guns and the .38/.32 'wimp' guns were the standard - with the 'IPSC Cowboys', that is.
Then came the 'short stroke' kits and John Wayne turned over in his grave along with all the other western heroes we idolize.

The guns I see gibble up most often in matches are the 'tuned' guns. I broke a mainspring in my '66 44-40 carbine and pal put in a new 'tuned' one. The hammer fall was so light, I couldn't stand it. I ordered a new spring and put it in. He did the same for a .36 Navy C&B for me and another pal and we both experienced failures to fire. Thanks, but no thanks.
A well meaning internet contact did me a favour by telling me what I needed to do to 'match prep' my Henry 44-40. I told him that I regarded what he was saying as an abomination and mutilation of a good rifle.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
PJ,
different strokes for different folks.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
Since we're jawin' about 'race guns', 'speed shootin', 'short stroke kits', etc., I'm with Montana Slim on this one. T'was a time in SASS when the stock answer to equipment eligibility was: "If John Wayne would use it, it's OK." That went by the board a long time ago.
I took a hiatus from CAS when you still wore one gun and the .44/.45 was 'King'. I came back to find everyone wearing two guns and the .38/.32 'wimp' guns were the standard - with the 'IPSC Cowboys', that is.
Then came the 'short stroke' kits and John Wayne turned over in his grave along with all the other western heroes we idolize.

The guns I see gibble up most often in matches are the 'tuned' guns. I broke a mainspring in my '66 44-40 carbine and pal put in a new 'tuned' one. The hammer fall was so light, I couldn't stand it. I ordered a new spring and put it in. He did the same for a .36 Navy C&B for me and another pal and we both experienced failures to fire. Thanks, but no thanks.
A well meaning internet contact did me a favour by telling me what I needed to do to 'match prep' my Henry 44-40. I told him that I regarded what he was saying as an abomination and mutilation of a good rifle.

John Wayne used Winchesters 92's and Single Action Armies in the Comancheros, which was supposed to take place in the 1840s, and in a host of Civil War movies (the 1860s).  Authenticity certainly wasn't a concern and the movies were none the less very entertaining.  That's what SASS is, entertainment.  It ain't re-enactment.

Advertising

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
You know, I do kind of agree with you in that there are some aspects of Cowboy shooting become more IPSC in the so called light load 38 and 32.  I shoot 45, 250 grain lead cast (that I cast myself) bullet with 5.8 gr titegroup. Close to maximum.  Guess on one point that negates all the "speed work" I did on the rifles.  But had a ball doing the DYI adjustments and learned the mechanics of the rifle itself.  That and I sure have a smother rifle.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Pioneer Gun Works Coil Mainspring - The Continuing Story
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »
OK, Got it all put together and took it to the range. The functinging is very smooth.  It gomes with 2 springs a red one and a blue one.  The red one is about 10 to 15% weaker than the blue one.  I tried the red one and had a few misfires as appearently I wasnt getting a strong enough hit on the primer.   My loads are 250 grain cast luman RNFP, 5.8 ge titegroup, starline brass, WLP primers.  I changed out the red one for the blue one and added one of the spacers that came with the kit.  I ran about 150 rounds through it without a hitch.  Very smooth.............
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com