Author Topic: duplicating .44 Henry RF  (Read 1851 times)

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
duplicating .44 Henry RF
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
Howdy, all.
   Considering all the modern repro Henrys--44 Spl, 44 wcf, 45 LC, etc.--does any of these lend itself to "loading down" to give the general experience of the old 44RF round?  If so, what would be that type of loading?  If not, what would be a "this is really close" cartridge/loading?

Just kinda curious, but thanks.

Hugh

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
Re: duplicating .44 Henry RF
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »
I did a little research on this topic last year:

.44 "Henry" Rimfire:  The ammo was normally 200 to 216 grains lead on top of 26 to 28 grains of black powder for around 1100 to 1200 fps

The .44 Russian centerfire is dimensionally based off the Henry rimfire cartridge case and redesigned to use a center fire primer and an inside loaded and lubed bullet.

The .45 S&W "Schofield" cartridge is also dimensionally similar and can be loaded near these specs as well.

I shoot my .45LC chambered Henry with Schofield rounds and it cycles well with no modifications.

A few of my NCOWS pards have modified their .44-40 Henry to shoot .44 Russian.  Take a gander over in the Henry subforum for more details.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »
Using the Cowboy Carrier to make em feed without issues, many folks HAVE begun using either .44 Russian or Cowboy .45 Special brass (since the .45 rifle is by far the most popular) to more closely emulate the old Henry rounds. They work a treat in yer 66 or 73 as well.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:34 AM »

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
Howdy

If you have a 45 Colt rifle, and if it will feed 45 Schofield rounds, you can load them with the J/P 45-200 Big Lube bullet and around 1.9CC of FFg Black Powder. This will closely duplicate the ballistics of the original 44 Henry Rimfire round.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com