Author Topic: Rough Rider Revolvers  (Read 9986 times)

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rough Rider Revolvers
« on: June 30, 2005, 04:10:06 PM »
I guess these are coming out in .32 H&R.  I read the review in GOW but was wondering what other opinions were regarding them.  For the MSRP it has me looking.

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: Rough Rider Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »

Doc,

Are you talking about Cimarron's U.S.V. Artillery or Heritage Rough Rider?

The latter has a new model out in .45 called Heritage Big Bore. Heritage is known for their Rough Rider models in .22s.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 07:09:44 PM »
have one in .22/.22Mag. It's not bad for an inexpensive gun. with Rem. Golden ammo it does shoot low at CAS distances. Haven't played with any other brand of ammo yet. One in centerfire? could be interesting..........Buck 8) ::) :-\ ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:51:32 AM »

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 07:34:54 PM »

Doc,

Are you talking about Cimarron's U.S.V. Artillery or Heritage Rough Rider?

The latter has a new model out in .45 called Heritage Big Bore. Heritage is known for their Rough Rider models in .22s.

Sir,

The Heritage model.  GOW had a review on a .32 H&R mag chambered one.

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 09:10:21 AM »
I have a Heritage Rough Rider in .22/.22mag caliber.  If you look at the Heritage Arms website there are a couple of reprints from magazine articles written about the gun.  I have shot about 100 rounds through mine at an indoor range at distances from 15 feet to 75 feet.  It's a nice gun for the price and seems to be relatively accurate.  I read one review that found it to be significantly more accurate as a .22 caliber than as a .22mag.  I have only used Remington ammo and have never shot it outdoors, but I think it's a lot of fun to shoot.  I have not heard of them making SA's in a larger caliber, but will have to check it out.

JR

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 09:41:23 PM »
I checked the Heritage Manufacturing website and they don't mention anything about new models in larger calibers being planned.  I also stopped in at my local gun store and talked to the manager.  He said he has heard that Heritage will make a SA in .45 caliber and one in .32.  He has no information about time frame or price however.

JR

Offline jonah hex

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 03:33:01 PM »
i bought one in 22 lr/mag  about 7 years ago.  It was used and I bought it for 49.00.  I figured when I bought it that i'd buy a more "quality" gun eventually.  The 22 mag cylinder spits something fierce so I have only put one box of mags through it since Ive owned it. I didnt care enough to contact the factory.  The 22 lr cylinder works fine.  The gun is literally one of the most accurate .22 i own.  I have cut the tops off of dandelions with it at 25 yards.  it turns in 1-2 inch groups with   any ammo at 25 yards. 
No dont get me wrong it is lacking fit and finish and the appearance isn't as fine as any of my other more expensive guns but it goes bang and hits what it is aimed at.  It is a definate cheap gun by appearance and feel but it was worth 49.00 and how. 

Offline Travis Palmetto

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »
I just bought my Roughrider .22LR/.22mag on the 5th and I really enjoy it!  It was on sale at the local gun show for $165 from $199.  I traded in an old Buffalo Plains "RG" and paid $100 for mine.  I am really impresed with the value.  The gun feels better in my hands than the RG ever did.  The six and a half inch barrel definitely helps with my shots.  I'm still new to the shooting scene (Only 5 or 6 times at the range so far.) but had decent grouping in the 3.5 to 5 inch range with an occasional wide shot from trigger jerk.

I'm not sure if Heritage calles this gun "blue", I call it black.  The hammer is a machined silver color and the grips are a nice Cocoloba wood.  I'm not really thrilled with the fit and finish of my grips.  There is a crack on the butt of the lefgt grip causing it to pull away from the frame leaving a gap big enough to wedge a dime in the corner.  I plan on calling Heritage to see about a fix.  I must say that I've seen many other Roughriders with great grip-frame finnish, so I'll call this a rarity.  I e-mailed Heritage about it and they said to send the grips back for replacement.  No questions asked!  It took a week from the mailing of my cracked grips to Heritage to me finding my new grips in the mail.  They look great!  They are a little redder than the originals but still have a nice grain pattern showing through.  I have to admit that the originals had a nicer smell tough.  The new ones are definitely sealed better.

The transfer bar safety works great and switching out cylinders is a breeze!  I also liked the fact that it came with a trigger lock.  If I had papooses runnin' 'round I'd have that lock on in a hurry.  The biggest thing for me is the solidiy of the hammer as it is pulled back.  The RG (Buffalo Plains) had roughly a 1/4 inch of play (creep?) when I pulled it back.  This Roughrider has very little in comparison.  It just feels like a much safer gun all around.

My wife loves the gun, too.  She didn't like the kick that my 1928 Colt .38 Police Positive has but found firing the Heritage very enjoyable.  She has small hands and did state that she thought the reach for the hammer was long for her, but I think I'd have her try the Beasley model and see if that's better.

If I was just getting started in SASS and had to have new guns, I'd have no problem getting a Roughrider in .32 or .45 Colt.  They may not be the best out there, but they work well, seem reliable (I'm not experienced enough to quantify this.), and feel good.

I like 'em!

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 12:07:42 AM »
got one, 22lr/22m, piece of junk.  Not even worth the $150.00 I paided for it.  If the larger calibers are made the same way, they will never hold up to CAS usage.  Even worse than Cobra Derringers.  Maybe mines a lemon.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 08:45:04 AM »
They're starting to make them right now. They'll be made by Pietta, unlike the rough rider .22's. Bassically they're the same as a GWII but they have one of those transfer bars. Check out the new issue of Shoot, they have a review in there by John Taffin. It'll probably be better than the .22 models.

Offline Wolfcamp Hill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »
We sold a few of the .22 caliber models at the shop where I worked.  Also had a couple come in that didn't work properly from the factory.  they usually retail under 200 bucks depending on what color spray paint they are finished with and whether or not they had adjustable sights.  I think they even offer one with a ferrous metal frame.  My opinion, i would avoid the ones with the pot metal frames and would recommend a used Ruger single six rather than a new Heritage.  JMHO.

Offline Blondetta

• that blonde gal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 06:28:29 PM »
For some unkown reason, I cannot find another .32 Heritage Rough Rider, no matter who I call.  I keep getting told that they- don't make them anymore
Miz Blondetta
Army vet, GAF #291, SASS #28760, NRA, GOA. Lady WartHog, RATS #102

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 09:30:07 AM »
Pietta........... 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com