Author Topic: Why did Jack McCall really kill Wild Bill Hickock?  (Read 24464 times)

Offline thehairlessone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why did Jack McCall really kill Wild Bill Hickock?
« on: June 29, 2005, 03:03:36 PM »
I imagine everyone has seen Wild Bill. In that movie it said that Jack was upset because Wild Bill killed his step dad after Wild Bill left Jack's mom.

Is that really what happened?

In the Deadwood series on HBO they were playing a poker game and Bill won.

Does anyone know ?

rick

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: Why did Jack McCall really kill Wild Bill Hickock?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 03:34:48 PM »
Maybe for the notariety?...........Buck 8) ::) ???
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 04:18:01 PM »
I don't know if anyone knows fer sure.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:02:11 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 05:18:43 PM »
Even at the time - there was controversy - but these threads are consistent.

McCall states during his trial in Deadwood on August 3, 1876:
"Well, men, I have but few words to say. Wild Bill killed my brother, and I killed him. Wild Bill threatened to kill me if I ever crossed his path. I am not sorry for what I have done. I would do the same thing over again."

He was found 'Not Guilty' at that trial - but the verdict was ruled void when it was found to have been rendered in Indian Territory.

From the Black Hills "Pioneer".

A Deputy United States Marshal, with a posse of five men, has started in pursuit of John Varnes, now on the "new stampede," who is charged with having procured the death of Wild Bill by paying a sum of money to Jack McCall, alias Sutherland, for committing the deed.

It appears that some time ago, Wild Bill and Varnes had a difficulty in Denver, and the animosity between the two was augmented by a dispute over a game of poker at the Senate saloon, in this city, a short time previous to the death of Wild Bill, at which time Bill interfered in a dispute between Varnes and another man. Bill covered him with his pistol, and arrogated to himself the position of umpire, after which friends interfered and ended the difficulty.

It is not necessary to speak of the arrest and trial of the murderer McCall. Suffice it to say he was arrested by the United States authorities at Cheyenne and taken to Yankton for trial. It appears that he now desires to turn state's evidence, and charges Varnes with having paid him money to murder Wild Bill.

"TRAVELER", SEPTEMBER 13, 1876 - FRONT PAGE.

Jack McCall, or Sutherland, the man who killed Wild Bill at Deadwood, has been arrested in Laramie City by Deputy Marshal Balcombe. He was taken to Cheyenne for examination before U. S. Commissioner Bruner, when, if the evidence against him be sufficient, he will be held to await a requisition from the governor of Dakota, and be taken to Yankton for trial for his crime.

McCall admits that Wild Bill never killed a brother of his, but that he killed Wild Bill because he snatched a card from him during the progress of a game between them.

Lorenzo Butler Hickok traveled from Illinois to attend the trial of his brother's murderer and was gratified by the guilty verdict.
On March 1, 1877, Jack McCall was put to death by hanging. 
As to McCall's  earlier claim of having shot Hickok out of revenge for his brother, it was later discovered that Jack McCall never had a brother.

Television and film are primarily entertainment.
The stories related sometimes bear a superficial likeness to the truth - but events and personalities are 'adjusted' as needed to ensure continuity and watchability.
It's called 'creative license'...

Real research - as opposed to the "John Ford Reference Library" - done in Public Libraries, Historical Societies and on the Internet will many times give a 'truth' that Hollywood never even came close to - much less touched upon.

As far as Hickok is concerned - go to a Search Engine like www.dogpile.com or www.google.com and type in 'Hickok Murder' and see what you get.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Capt. Hamp Cox

• Top Active Citizen
  • 1937 Ford & 1941 Hamp in 1947
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 05:45:33 PM »
The following is from the book Wild Bill Hickok: Gunfighter, by Joseph G. Rosa:

"...In a report to the Denver News (and copied by the St. Paul, Minnesota, Pioneer Press and Tribune of September 8, 1876) Leander Richardson declared that:

"'There were a dozen or more men in Deadwood who wanted to kill Wild Bill because he would not 'stand-in' with them on any 'deadbeat' games, but not one man among them all dared to pick a quarrel with him.  They were all waiting to get a chance to shoot him in the back.  And it was this clique who got Sutherland (McCall) clear of the charge, whereupon he took the first opportunity of getting out of town.  The man charged with the murder has a most repulsive visage, and it would require no very keen imagination to picture him as the twin brother of Darwin's Missing Link.'"

"Richardson's comments received support from others, among them the editor of the Black Hills Pioneer who declared on Aughst 10, 1876, that Wild Bill was probably "the only man we have yet had in our midst who had the courage and other qualifications to bring some semblance of order to the lawless element of our camp.  The fact that he was killed by one of the sorriest specimens of humanity to be found in the hills is significant."

Now, here's my question.  What kind of handgun was used to kill Wild Bill, and was he really holding "aces and eights" when he was shot?

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »
To Capt. Hamp Cox, in reply to your question as to what gun Jack McCall used to backshoot J.B. Hickock,.......according to Wickipedia, he used a double-action, .45 caliber revolver. I just found this out, when I Googled his name. Judging by how old this thread is, you may have long since found this out for yourself, though. BTW Howdy to all, I'm new to Cas City, & glad to be here, jd45

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 03:50:41 PM »
  Howdy Pards! 

A double action .45 in August 1876?

According to eye witness Carl Mann:

"I looked up and saw defandant raise a pistol and fire it at Wild Bill's head.  I saw where a bullet came out on his face before he fell.  The pistol was from one foot to eighteen inches from Bill's head.  It was a navy size revolver.  The same bullet hit Capt. Massie in the arm."   
   (William Massie's left wrist actually.)

IMHO, the reports of the entry and exit wounds, and Massie's injuries are more consistant with a .36 Navy round.

Others' mileage of this mysery, will vary...

Mick Archer
    Not a CSI Posse
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Offline jd45

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
Mick, that's a very good point.........Colts first one didn't come out til a couple years later, come to think of it. Well, I guess I should take what I read in Wickipedia with a grain of salt. Thanx, jd45

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »
Wickipedia tends not to be a good source on a lot of things. Too much access and no research.................Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »
Wikipedia is a 'do it yourself' dictionary - and until very recently 'facts' could be posted without any sort of provenance - and anonymously, at that.

Do 'not' use it as a reference source, unless you want to deal with someone refuting you, and I'm betting that you don't have time for that...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:50:14 AM »
 Howdy Pards!

Although, I could be sneaky and give him a Starr Model M1858 Army or a Pettengill Army in .44.....  ;-)  :-)

Mick Archer
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 12:24:07 PM »
To many non-shooters and those who do who have little knowledge of the terms a single-action is often called by them, a double-action.  Why, cause you have to pull the hammer back and then pull the trigger, two actions.  Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've seen that.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ozark Iron John

• We're Ridin-n-Shootin Boyz! Blam! Blam! Blam!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • You're not under Arrest. We're here to Hang ya!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
Wikipedia is a 'do it yourself' dictionary - and until very recently 'facts' could be posted without any sort of provenance - and anonymously, at that.
I don't know about no provenance, but my old Pap told us kids Wild Bill Hickock was killed for bein' a Kansas Jayhawker from Illinois and ridin' for Gen. Blunt against Missouri in the War.  They didn't like Wild Bill Hickock where I was from.  They said he was a no good back shootin' double dealin' son of a gun and he deserved to be bushwacked and left on the road for the buzzards to eat.  But then, my old Pap was known to be full-o-crap sometimes.  Especially about JayHawkers and people from Illinois.

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
>:(    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 10:52:10 PM »
Some stories are just that - stories.

Even the accounts of the time can't truly explain McCall's actions, but they're probably closest, and the Civil War had no bearing on them.

'Provenance' - as opposed to wishful thinking - is the key factor in research.

The last thing this post's going to do is to take a political turn...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Ozark Iron John

• We're Ridin-n-Shootin Boyz! Blam! Blam! Blam!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • You're not under Arrest. We're here to Hang ya!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »
Some stories are just that - stories.
I ain't sayin' its true about McCall killin' him cause of it.  Lord knows, my old Pap was full-o-crap and he saw Jayhawkers everywhere.  But I think it is true that Hickock rode with Gen. Blunt and learnt his killin' in Missouri during the Late Great Unpleasantness and I'm pretty sure, them grudges ran deep back then.

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
>:(    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com