Author Topic: does this one count?  (Read 8548 times)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
Re: does this one count?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »
well??? No good? Period correct? I just got this one.Basicly cuase it has 5 rivets.But i like it anyway..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »

See anything that looks familiar?   The buffalo skinner is a classic "Russell Pattern" that dates back to the early 1800s.  I polished mine up just because, and brewed up a sheath that is a little different.  I like the simple carbon steel, as it takes a RAZOR edge.  I finish mine using a ceramic stone about the same grit as the outside of slick "school chalk".  Scary sharp.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:38:21 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:11:24 PM »
I have become a big fan of those carbon blades too,don't let your wife put them in the dishwasher though...Rat frappin bliggle sleakin snark farkle!!!!!!!! It cleaned up good though.. ::)

Nice knives there olebuddy~ :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
We have a rule.  I use my knives, I take care of em.  Wife uses her cr, er, jun, er "cute" knives.

Wash as needed under HOT water, rinse with very hot water, wipe and pass over a gas flame quickly to REALLY dry, wipe with olive oil-damp paper towel, put away.  Even SHINY carbon steel stays that way.

For interseting effects, like my "sheath knife" I use when we camp, cut bunches of onions, garlic, tomatos, then just rinse with teakettle water scalding hot.  The acids and oils create neat patina.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:18:13 AM »
Just happen to have some olive oil,i'm gonna go wipe "em" down..Thanks for the tip. :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:37 AM »
Also have a couple pioeces of buffalo/hair on hide squares.Think i will try to make a hair on sheath. :) You sure put the polish on those blades!

We had a meat store close down after many many years of service,it was an icon,Glicks Meats.I been cruisin by there in hopes of finding some one cleaning out the place to see if i could grab and old knife or two for posterity,they have, that had been hangin on the walls for years,big ones, along with some bone saws...Place has been there ever since i can remember.Half the town went and stocked up before they closed the doors.Drove by a few days ago and no one there,windows boarded up... :( :'(
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Messerist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »
I have several Russell Green River blades and they do take a heck of an edge.   They go in the "special drawer of uber-sharp knives"

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
For interseting effects, like my "sheath knife" I use when we camp, cut bunches of onions, garlic, tomatos, then just rinse with teakettle water scalding hot.  The acids and oils create neat patina.
Hmmm, just got a new knife (shiny carbon steel). I might try this to take some of the newness off. Thanks for the tip!
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »
If I want to age a carbon knife a little I just soak it for a day in Tomato Juice works good for me.
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »
Dang Rick! you beat me to that one by less than a minute, good buy, nice old knife.
Ned Buckshot

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
Well now i feel bad~~~ :( Figure maybe i should try makin my first decent sheath on this one..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »
Don't feel bad Rick, all's fair in live and buyin' stuff! ;D

If you need anything when you get around to a sheath let me know. I most likely have it on hand.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Hmmm, just got a new knife (shiny carbon steel). I might try this to take some of the newness off. Thanks for the tip!

Peel some apples and taters, cut up a bunch of meat, it works fine, and then deep in your heart you know it ain't faked.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 11:27:05 PM »

The sheath knife got its patina through honest use (making chili using beefsteak, fresh peppers, garlic, onions, etc).

The sticker I "faked" using a bit of Birchwood Casey Plum Brown solution on a warm (not real hot) blade waved over a gas flame to heat it,, then treated with olive oil and heated while wet with the oil.  I don't use that one for food, mostly a letter opener...

I never did finish the Green River blade.  When I browned a rolling block last winter, I gave it a treatment to try out some Dixie Instant Antique solution.  Gonna put some scales on it from a rock maple I felled in the back yard.  Setting in front of the wood stove last winter, I spied a piece of firewood I liked, cut a slab from it and aged it since.  Pretty soon the wood will be ready.

But first I gotta finish this:

AUS-8 stainless blade, Paduak scales, mosaic pins, etc.

lottsa polishing to get a presentation finish on AUS-8 stainless.  Very tough steel.

Like I said, pretty or plain, they gotta be functional, so i chose a "real" knife steel I know works.
I carry a Darrel Ralph designed folder with AUS-8 blade, etc, and it is a tough knife.  I bought it as a kit, did it up with some filework on the spine, etc.

I've carried it two or three years now.  The polished but not sealed cocobolo  wood is coffee bean dark from repeated sweating through the pants pocket, soaking in rain, etc (on the bike), but I still like the appearance.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
For working knives that you don't want that sealed look on the handles but want to protect the wood, there is now an easy way.  Just go to the grocery store and get a small bottle of Canola (Rapeseed) oil.  Put some on a rag and soak the wood up well, let sit about an hour and wipe off the excess.  Let dry a couple days and use.  This holds up to dish water much better than any thing else I've ever tried on kitchen knives.  The only thing that comes close is soy bean oil.  BTW both rapeseed oild and soy bean oils were used to make paint and other finishes before folks used them to cook with. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 08:29:26 PM »
Cool beans.  I 'll have to try that.  Momma uses "cooking Spray" that is canola oil.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 10:42:45 AM »
Cool beans.  I 'll have to try that.  Momma uses "cooking Spray" that is canola oil.

That might work well if you soak it up, however if you have several to do you might just buy a small bottle of the cheap brand stuff.  If you use all here spray up you may be making a trip to the store anyway. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Bob R.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
If I want to age a carbon knife a little I just soak it for a day in Tomato Juice works good for me.

Normal use ages them nice.

My wife was bummed when her carbon steel copy of a Medieval carving knife took on a patina, no matter how hard she tried to clean it, after use in the camp kitchen (different era reenactment). One days use on any kind of organic material, and a wipedown cleaning and oiling will leave a patina.

3D

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
I've been looking at these buffalo skinning Russel Knife blanks on Track of the Wolf.
How do you attach handles to a knife? Any adhesive or just pins?
Would like to make a sheath also. Where is a good source for leather goods and how to make a sheath?

Book recommendations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com