Author Topic: Belt: To line or not to line  (Read 3224 times)

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Belt: To line or not to line
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
I'm about to make a tapered belt to match a pair of plain lined holsters. I want the belt to look like the holsters, so I was going to run a stitch line down both sides with white thread. I'm using 10 oz Wickett & Craig Russett saddle skirting for the belt. The holsters are heavy; 16 oz, though I wouldn't want the belt that heavy.

I'm thinking of lining the belt with 3/4 with the rough side out for a etter grip. I've got another belt, unlined, that supports the holsers just fine (wrong color) so I don't think that's an issue, at least not immediate.   

So what do you think? I know I could leave the belt plain, but I think it would look better stitched. I know some of you always line, some never, but I'm still interested in your opinion. Thanks! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: Belt: To line or not to line
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
It's a matter of preference. If you want the lining, go for it. If you don't, you can always run a stitch line down the belt anyway to tie it in visually. The lining will stiffen the belt so that's probably the deciding factor. Of course, you could make a money belt and have it all. Be sure to post a pic when you're done.

FWIW, I seldom put a lining in anything. I like the feel of a single layer of leather for a belt.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Wiley Desperado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »
What the Marshal said.
Wiley

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:57:30 PM »

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
Ditto.
I find a lined belt likes to slide down my hiney....
The rougher texture of an unlined belt seems to help.

BUT, if you are going to run a stitch around it, and you like the look, I would go ahead and line it. Your already doing the sewing for it..
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »
The back of the belt blank is extremely smooth. That's one reason I'm considering lining it; so I can put the rough side of the lining out. The color is a factor; I don't have anything the right weight in the right color to make a money belt, but it did cross my mind.   

Thanks guys, JD

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:55:32 AM »
JD,

I had exactly the same problem ... I wanted to line a black belt to keep it from sliding down, but did not want to dye the rawhide...

A wise and experienced leather master suggested to make the rawhide lining about 1/8" narrower, so that the black belt would 'cover the undyed rawhide when worn ... that the gum tragacant on the rawhide edge would probably darken the rawhide enough to more or less match the blak leather anyway...

FWIW ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:21:19 AM »
This is just one persons opinion but if I was going to do the stitching I would prefer to make a money belt.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:25:50 AM »
JD,  If you want the belt to stay in place and don't want to make it very heavy...just line it with suede and the slip problem is eliminated...also you have multiple colors to choose from....I line most of belts with suede
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »
I'm with Outrider on this one but I like a black suede that contrasts with the color of the main belt.  To go with that theme, I like to dye my holster liners black also and use a different color on the outer leather.  HEH HEH, after sixty-sum-odd years I finally figured out what I like!!!

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Well, right, wrong, or otherwise, I decided to stitch it but not line it. I went ahead and put the buckle on, then punched out the holes and gave it a try. It held the holsters firm with no problems (after all it is 10 oz). After doing that I decided to stitch. I'm about half way done on one side. 

I have to say I like the feel of an unlined belt; it's more flexible. After messing with it I realized the back was rough enough not to slide.

I bought these holsters, because I was very curious about a couple of advertized features, and I figured after checking them out I might be able to incorporate some design features into my own holsters.

He made them out of Wickett & Craig russet, with a Neatsfoot oiled finish. Since I have a side of W & C in russet, I cut a belt blank out, tested a piece with the Neatsfoot and some stitching, and it's a perfect match.

Having said all that, I very much appreciate all the experienced feedback. I've copied all of your comments for future reference.

Thanks one and all. JD

I've decided not to name the maker on this forum, though he does not frequent it. If anyone wants to know, send me a PM             

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com