Author Topic: Broke my 76 NWMP!!!  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Broke my 76 NWMP!!!
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »
How common a problem is this, and is it worth sending back to Cimarron, or should I try getting it fixed locally?

Bought it in late May, but just got it out to the range.  On shot 10, the dovetailed lug that holds the nosecap ripped out of its slot, the nosecap fell off, and the magazine tube flew halfway down the barrel.  There was no visible damage to the parts, so we put everything back together.  The fit of the lug into the slot seemed tight enough, but the same thing happened again, two shots later. 

I love the rifle, but what would be best?  Cimarron support doesn't have the best reputation.  Would any local gunsmith be able to fix it?  Is it fixable, or are we looking at something akin to metal fatigue?

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Broke my 76 NWMP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »
    If you can find a "real" gunsmith, and not just a parts changing mechanic, I would go with the gunsmith. I've done all my own '76 work, except turning my barrel to half octagon and blueing it. Any "real" gunsmith should be up to the challenge.

J.L.

P.S.: I don't claim to be a gunsmith.....just handy.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
I agree with Joe - a good gunsmith should have it fixed in a snap with less cost than the shipping and hassle.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:33:59 PM »

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
Griz:
As I said a way back in time that I would let you know what my chronograph told me with that 76 grain load.  I know that this does not pertain to this gentleman's problem but here it is.  I fired 10 rounds of that Swiss 1½ load and it averaged 1445.4 fps.  The statistics showed an SD of 13.5 fps, a CV of 0.9% a MAN of 11.0 fps and an ES of 41.4 fps.  The calc recoil is 22.3 ft pounds.  So there you have it and sorry for the intrusion.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
Griz:
As I said a way back in time that I would let you know what my chronograph told me with that 76 grain load.  I know that this does not pertain to this gentleman's problem but here it is.  I fired 10 rounds of that Swiss 1½ load and it averaged 1445.4 fps.  The statistics showed an SD of 13.5 fps, a CV of 0.9% a MAN of 11.0 fps and an ES of 41.4 fps.  The calc recoil is 22.3 ft pounds.  So there you have it and sorry for the intrusion.

No intrusion, pard.  Thanks for the data on your load.  Looks like a keeper to me! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline RedBaron

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
Good luck with Cimarron's warranty, and or any repair work.  Mike Harvey will tell you it is something you have done wrong.  All problems with anything they sell , are your problems. Traveled down that road.

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »
Griz:
Forgot to also mention that the barrel cleaned up with only two swipes so the humidity has alot to do with the fouling.  Even tho I only shot 10 rounds.  It is a good load and I got a hunch that it will do the job on an animal.  Still can't believe those Mounties shooting that day and day out at target practice.  Their shoulders must have smarted. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
Griz:
Forgot to also mention that the barrel cleaned up with only two swipes so the humidity has alot to do with the fouling.  Even tho I only shot 10 rounds.  It is a good load and I got a hunch that it will do the job on an animal.  Still can't believe those Mounties shooting that day and day out at target practice.  Their shoulders must have smarted. ;)

Yep, they were tougher and younger than me! ;D
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com