Author Topic: I have decided something about real big knives  (Read 39409 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
I have decided something about real big knives
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »
As most here know, I don't see much real use other than show for these big oversize knives.  My theroy is if it's not really useful why carry it.  Well a couple weeks ago at the DoM GAF Muster, I found out a big knife can be useful in camp after allo.  While I was away to town for supplies on Thursday afternoon, Dusty really didn't have much to do, so he split up a bunch of kindling for me with his Krag bayonet.  Hmm, maybe there is a limited amount of real use for a big knife.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
Re: I have decided something about real big knives
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
Showed my big knives to my mountainman buddy,he said,"show them to me after you cross the river" :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »
My favorite knives have always been ones I could fold up and put in my pocket. I'd also rather have 2 in my pocket than one on my belt.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:50:52 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
I have some big blades and some smaller ones.  Here are some of my thoughts.

Over the years I have observed that bigger blades are usually left behind in favour of the smaller ones.  If its not on you it's useless.

I always have a pocket knife, usually a lock blade with pocket clip.  If the blade is less than about 3 inches, that too becomes almost useless.  (BTW; A large Naval orange is 3 1/2 inch in diameter)

As the first two inches are for sticking and the two inches close to the hand are for carving, then the standard 4 inches of the common hunting knife found almost all around the world is about right for a belt knife.

I've read that 6 inches for a fighting knife is enough to get through most outdoor clothing and still do the required task. (I haven't stuck anyone yet, so this is theoretical!)

So there you are;
- Always have a knife on you.  Generally mine is a substantial folder.
- A belt knife is best between 4 and 6 inches depending on what activity you are setting out to do.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
In my younger/thinner days, I studied Martial Arts.   One of the weapons we studied with was the knife, both offense and defense.   In the training, while an individuals speed and technique mattered, keeping your opponent as far away as possible also mattered.   I think most of the big knives came from the earlier days of the west when pistols had 1 shot, if you were rich or ucky, maybe six.  The big knife was a weapon, plain and simple.  They can seem unwieldy, until you are wielding one to fend someone off.   We trained mainly Oriental, but being redneck boys, we spiced it up with all sizes of blades.   We discovered that Bigger is better if all other things are equal.   Just my $0.02.  If I am carrying a weapon, I would go with a bigger blade that gives you reach and a pyschological "edge" as well.    If I want an all purpose knife, I would carry a medium length blade.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
If I were in Special forces, or a Border Ruffian, I jes' might pack a lot of steel!

What I said is for most purposes in our day & age, and even for portraying the period 1865 to 1899.

Another exception is for butchering large animals or cutting large cabbages, bread, or watermelon.

P.S.  "A KNIFELESS MAN IS A LIFELESS MAN"  (Old Norse proverb - borrowed from Ragnar's Forge.)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:06:27 PM »

Another exception is for butchering large animals or cutting large cabbages, bread, or watermelon.

See I carry knives in the cook camp for that, but they are too good to split kindling with,  Just might have to look through my collection of stuff from the thrift store and do one up for kindling.  BTW I don't use it much, but I also carry a bone saw, I buy wholesale cuts and cut them up in camp.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
As  a border ruffian, I would probably have to ride two horses, not only my 250 girth, but lots of pistols, a few bowies, a sabre, not to mention all the fixings for coffee, biscuits, etc.   ;D

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »
Mexican feller gave me a nice fruit knife once,he didn't have much choice after he stuck it in my face through a  car window,that i rolled up on him as fast as i could and told my buddy to DRIVE!!I thanked him and rolled down the winder.. ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
I like knives that are useful.  That might run the gamut from a Pacific Patch knife I use a lot, to a 6" "sticker" that has served as boot knife, general kitchen knife, etc, to a heavy camp knife or a buffalo skinner.  They can be pretty or plain, but MUST be razor sharp and do the job they were made to do.

The first knife I made was ground out of a Brazillian machete that had seen one too many coconuts (had a massive chip in it).  I actually made two knives, a huge bolo using the shank end along with the handle I gave to a friend, and this little double edged piece that was my "car knife" when i lived in the Caribbean and a gun was not possible.

It was big enough to be impressive, and sharp enough to shave hide and hair with just a little "flick" when somebody made the mistake of trying to carjack me.  He survived, has a scar under his chin that was a very effective warning, especially since when it was "awarded" to him, he'd reached into the car, trying to take the keys.   I had hold of a handful of dreadlocks and the steering wheel in my left hand, while I punctuated my insistence I be left alone with the steel in the right hand.  i would not have wanted any less knife that night.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Big T

• Big "T"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • www.tbarkcustomknives.com
    • T bar K Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:22 PM »
As a knifemaker I am Asked all the time to build them the perfect knife , to which I usualy say What are you going to do with it , if its going to hang on your hip to be cool just what ever you want , if its going to be used as a guide knife in the woods alot 6.5 in blade X3/16  thick so if need be you can skin chop or fight with it , if your cutting tomatoes it needs about 5 in blade thin as 3/32 tapred to .010 thou an heat treated to a rc 52 so it will slice like a peace of tin cutting thru your hand if you grab it wrong , Knives are mostly of personal taste an different jobs require different knife configurations , For instnce a buddy of mine in tx was skinnin out a buck on day an decided to use his pocket knife to try an cut thru a pelvis bone bad idea knife slipped an he spen 3 weeks in the hospital with the main muscle severed in his left leg instead of getting a lg bowie (which he had at home ) or a hatchet , Knives that hold an edge a long time are usualy rockwell 58 or higher knives that cut an slice tomatoes wickedly are usualy way softer an have to be sharpened regularly such as the old hickory knives so its no hard an fast option for a knife that does everything , t
Tank & Kathy ,T bar k Custom knives

God Bless All to their Own Standards Accordingly thru Jesus Christ !

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »
Great information from you Big T!

And not so opinionated that only one knife will do in any given circumstance.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »
The main thing in my humble opinion is that big blade makes for big intimidation. Worked for Jim Bowie and Crocodile Dundee so it has to be some sort of pschological effect tool. Alot like looking into the barrel of a 12 guage compared to looking into a 22. While both are deadly some people will admit enough guts to go for the 22 but not that bigbore.
                                                                                                                                    RC
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
Being a farmer and spending alot of time in the woods, I usually carry two knives. A pocket knife for the little things, and a 6 inch hunting knife for the not so little things. This way I have all the bases covered. I have carried and used all kinds of knives from little pocket knives to 10-11 inch bladed bowies, and my opinion is all of them serve a purpose.

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
at all times in my pocket theres a small folder. if im going to be hunting away from my truck, their will be a belt knife 4 or 5inches long. but somewhere Ill have a big knife. big enough to split a pelvis, or seperate a spine if I need to quarter an animal. I nearly ruined my favorite kitchen knife once when I had to split up an animal.  knife wasnt big enough for the job, so I had to really bear down with a hammer to split the pelvis and spine. also learned why I dont want to shoot a deer down in a deep canyon. DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
You can't beat an officers model, Swiss army knife,,,,those dinky little scissors are a must for a chipped fingernail!!!

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »
Great information from you Big T!

And not so opinionated that only one knife will do in any given circumstance.

Ned

I don't know anyone who does, but you have to admit there are a lot of knives out there that will never serve any purpose but looking cool.  Kind of like a big wrench for some size no one makes a nut or bolt for.  Polish it up, hang it on the rack and it looks cool but serves no purpose. 

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

1961MJS

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
I don't know anyone who does, but you have to admit there are a lot of knives out there that will never serve any purpose but looking cool.  Kind of like a big wrench for some size no one makes a nut or bolt for.  Polish it up, hang it on the rack and it looks cool but serves no purpose. 

Hi Raising the long dead, but this reminded me of one of my first knives.  My parents bought the 1967 World Book Encyclopedia.  In the WW2 section, there was a picture of a troop of Gurkha's charging down a hill with rifle and Khukri knives out.  It just looked cool.  in about 1987 we had purchased our first house, and I was somehow sent a copy of Atlanta Cutlery's catalog containing a basic Khukri knife.  I immediately ordered it and though it would be cool to look at.  Later in the year, I needed to cut down some brush and chop up the limbs.  No axe, no hatchet, just a bow saw.  I thought of the Khukri and tried it out.  It's basically an axe that you can't miss with.  I bought a little nicer one for the garage.

Later Y'all

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
So do you really want to wear it on a belt every day till you needed it again?  I still think most folks in the latter part of the 19th century would have thought the same.   ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Well I like big knives (8-9" blade) and can use them for just about anything that a small knife can be used and for lots of things a little knife can't be used for. In period bigger knives were still being built even in the latter half of the 1800's so there was definitely a market for them - these included not only Bowie types but the most common knife of the era the cheap butcher as made by Russell and others and widley used by Indians and frontiersmen. These were often in the 7-9" length with a thickness of just under 3/32" - original period knives, even bigger ones such as Bowies, were seldom as thick as many modern makers build them  - the average thickness being no more than 3/32" at the ricasso area with the blade being properly distal tapered for thickness from hilt to tip - modern makers on the other hand far too often make replicas with blades of 1/4" and more - yes some period blades were that thick and even thicker, but the vast majority weren't even with blades in the 8-10" length

and as noted above one can carry/use different knifes for different purposes including a more or less dedicated fighting knife - not everyone was a camp cook  ;)

As for carrying a big knife being a problem? maybe that's due to so many replicas being way too heavy. A good 8-9" bladed knife need not be over 7-10 oz max. Properly sheathed and worn regularly enough to get use to a knife of that size it is easily carried and seldom gets in the way (a mid-back carry as often used by the earlier mtn men is one option)
Here's an example of a knife with a 9" blade and an antler handle - entire knife weighs 6.5 oz (the beaded sheath weighs more than the knife - but even so the combo weighs less than a revolver for the era):

this is one of my personal knives - 9.5" blade with antler grip - weight is 8 oz:

and another 8.5 incher with sheath the whole package weighs just 12 oz's:

as for what's best? bottomline - carry/use what you feel comfortable with, but IMO to state categorically that item A is best or that big knives have little or no use and are hard/clumsy to carry is a personal opinion based on your needs and not some kind of absolute fact.....

BTW - Kukris were/are dedicated fighting knives as used by the Gurkhas - they often have a smaller knife included for normal usage, but even the larger knife is not that heavy or awkward to use for some every day chores. While I've never packed a kukri on a daily basis I have carried a bolo type machete of about the same size (13" blade) and weight daily on my belt when logging and it was never a problem. The chainsaw with a 3-5 foot bar on the other hand was not the easiest thing to pack.....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com