Author Topic: Grand Expiditions "The Banana Wars"  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Grigori_Storri

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grand Expiditions "The Banana Wars"
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
As many who have followed lately Grizzly Adams, Smith and I have been talking through a tread in the Wild Bunch. This was on USMC/USN Persona's during the Invasion and Occupation of Vera Cruz. Others have discussed the Pershing Expidition into Mexico. I wanted to add something about other Expiditions that were going on during this time.

The Banana Wars

Panama, United States interventions in the isthmus go back to the 1846 Mallarino-Bidlack Treaty and intensified after the so-called Watermelon War of 1856. In 1903, Panama seceded from the Republic of Colombia, backed by the US government,[1] amisdt the Thousand Days War. The Panama Canal was under construction by then, and the Panama Canal Zone, under United States sovereignity, was then created (it was handed down to Panama as of 2000).

Nicaragua, which, after intermittent landings and naval bombardments in the previous decades, was occupied by the U.S. almost continuously from 1912 through 1933.

Cuba, occupied by the U.S. from 1899 to 1902 under military governor Leonard Wood, and again from 1906–1909, 1912 and 1917–1922; governed by the terms of the Platt Amendment through 1934.

Haiti, occupied by the U.S. from 1915 through 1934, which led to the creation of a new Haitian constitution in 1917 that instituted changes that included an end to the prior ban on land ownership by non-Haitians. Including the First and Second Caco Wars.[2]

Dominican Republic, action in 1903, 1904, and 1914; occupied by the U.S. from 1916 through 1924.

Honduras, where the United Fruit Company and Standard Fruit Company dominated the country's key banana export sector and associated land holdings and railways, saw insertion of American troops in 1903, 1907, 1911, 1912, 1919, 1924, and 1925. Writer O. Henry coined the term "Banana republic" in 1904 to describe Honduras.

Other Latin American nations were influenced or dominated by American economic policies and/or commercial interests to the point of coercion. Theodore Roosevelt declared the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine in 1904, asserting the right of the United States to intervene to stabilize the economic affairs of states in the Caribbean and Central America if they were unable to pay their international debts. From 1909 to 1913, President William Howard Taft and his Secretary of State Philander C. Knox asserted a more "peaceful and economic" Dollar Diplomacy foreign policy, although that too was backed by force, as in Nicaragua.

This time period sparked a Marine Corps Publication of the small wars manuel, The Strategy and Tactics in Small Wars Manuel 1921.

The Below Link is to the 1940 Book

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/swm/index.htm

Offline Grigori_Storri

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Grand Expeditions "The Banana Wars"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »
It would really help if I could spell on my own without spell check.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »

Now, Major, what fun would that be. ;)  Good post.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

Re: Grand Expiditions "The Banana Wars"
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:08:33 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »

Yeah but I spell so poorly that sometimes even spellcheck can't figure out what I'm trying to say. :-\
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Grigori_Storri

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:57:10 AM »
My children told me that I need to stop typing with my toes, and actually use my hands. But I am forced too type with my toes. I am too busy with my hands doing hard sheet paper work for work. Along with preping for my new job teaching a class one class at local junior college. Along with Smoking and drinking coffee. I just can not free up my hands to do any typing. So I am stuck with my toes doing the work.

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »
Capt Mack and Texas Sarge
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
Bethesda Naval Hospital has a great wall on the 2nd floor that has large pictures of the Vera Cruz expedition.  The uniforms they were wearing including Naval Infantry were all white/off white with leggings and boots.

I have often thought of getting some tops done up to go with my summer duck cotton pants and doing this impression.

I have found that even shooting BP I only have to use bleach about 3-4 times a year to get that nice white color back.  I would use it more - but straight bleach tends to be  harsh on cotton fabrics over time and heck if I was on campaign the pants would get cleaned but they would get dingy.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Grigori_Storri

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:52:30 AM »
Thank You PR for getting us back on topic. I know the Navy persona has been in some debate over the thread posting. I was looking into doing it myself but I could only wear the light canvas whites the heavy blue denim would be really hard on me. All the meds I am on now I sweat like a fat sinner in church constantly. But living in Augusta Ga doe not help either, it never seems to get cold here to me.

Getting back to Naval persona, I was typing in one thread about the Navy leggings being white. One of the directives of the Great White Fleet during the 1907-09 circumnavigation was canvas leggings were to be white washed, just like you white was tentage makes it water proof and a pretty white.  Looked truely sharp when they steamed into a forgein port to see the crew in crisp white hats blue or white uniform and the crisp white leggings. Canvas cartridges belts were even white washed. White washing was more of a parade and review feature.

But Pony Racer, I was at Bethesa in 2004 as a patient I do not remember much about it I only know what I was told.

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »
Here's a link to some pictures of the Vera Cruz occupation http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72201

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:04 PM »
You know, if youse guys keep inchin' the callendar forward in time, I'm gonna have to buy some uniforms that are later than 1880!   ;)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Yeah but I spell so poorly that sometimes even spellcheck can't figure out what I'm trying to say. :-\

mi two
Mathew 5.9

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »
Two questions, please:

First, can anyone direct me to a source showing the correct way to lace up the Navy/Marine Corp canvas, khaki leggins?

Second, in looking at many of the Vera Cruz photos it looks like the officers are wearing black shoes with the Sevice Dress Whites.  I could not find any decent "close ups" but from the distance shots that appears to be the case.  Am I correct in this?

For the upcoming National Cavalry Competition I've got a uniform put together from the China Service Period and, if I get the khaki uniform I've ordered from Schipperfabrik, I can also portray a Naval Aviator from about 1912 on (if we don't examine the cover too closely  ;) ).

Thanks, in advance, for any help!

SQQ

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »

Second, in looking at many of the Vera Cruz photos it looks like the officers are wearing black shoes with the Sevice Dress Whites.  I could not find any decent "close ups" but from the distance shots that appears to be the case.  Am I correct in this?

SQQ

I believe black would be the correct shoe color.Tan shoes show up about 1913 in the Naval Regulations but only for Aviators wearing Khaki uniforms from my reading of various information sources.

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
I believe black would be the correct shoe color.Tan shoes show up about 1913 in the Naval Regulations but only for Aviators wearing Khaki uniforms from my reading of various information sources.

Thank you.   :)

SQQ

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
Another little know fact about the "Banana Wars" is the Air Wing of the USMC were the first US Military Service to develope Dive Bombing Tactics that led the way for use during WW2, and the first to issue the Thompson .45 Submachineguns to their ground forces.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 07:21:40 AM »
Does that mean that if I come up with a period Marine uniform I can shot my Thompson in the EEM?  8)
  :o ::) No, I guess probably not  ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked: