Author Topic: Does Uberti triggers fit a Navy Arms Schofield?  (Read 9502 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Does Uberti triggers fit a Navy Arms Schofield?
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
Hello,

My little short stubby hands have to creep up the back of the grip to cock the hammers on my 1980s Navy Arms Schofields.

I was thinking about buying some triggers and having the thumbgrips bend down to where I might reach them better.

All I can find is Uberti Hammers. Will the Uberti hammer fit on an old Navy Arms Schofield?

Has any one done this before?

Thanks!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Does Uberti triggers fit a Navy Arms Schofield?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »
The Navy Arms Schofield is made by Uberti.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:27:02 AM »
You might want to see if that would be legal for SASS matches before you do it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:24:02 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
Flint,

I kinda figured that Navy Arms either became Uberti or might have been bought out by them ... but a $88/hammer I just wanted to be sure ...*S*

John Smith,

A very good point ... I don't believe there is anything that covers it in the written rules ... do you know ehere I would go to get an okay?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1246
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
For a long time bent back hammers were okay for mounted shooting but not for us "ground" shooters (external modification rule).  More recently there have been some changes that I don't fully understand but have something to do with whether a manufacturer offers that style or not.  Thus, Ruger had come out with a Montado (a Vaquero with a lower hammer spur) which originally was for mounted shooters but is now okay for all SASS.  You could go to the SASS Wire and ask, but basically I don't think it would be SASS legal since no manufacturer offers it as a standard item.  Some local club shoots might allow it.

p.s. Navy Arms is an importer, like Cimarron, Taylors, EMF etc.  They import mostly Ubertis.  Back some years ago, it was Val Forget of Navy Arms that got Uberti to start making some percussion pistols and everything grew from that.  Something like that, anyway.  Val has passed on but the company is still run by his son Val Forget III.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 01:10:55 AM »
I ask because I had an experience I really, really would not like to repeat ...

I was fireing gunfighter as usual, and cocking the hammers with my short wide hands means putting the pistol in a slightly muzzle high position, sliding my thumb up the back of the grip and cocking the hammer.

The muzzle was still in the elevated position when my thumb slipped off the trigger, and the round was fired with the barrel up. The round went over the berm ... fortunately no one was hurt .... but I never want to repeat that again ...

So this possible safety issue is a no-no under noncompliance ... so I must find another way to make this a safer way to cock the pistols ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:22:57 AM »
Howdy Wadd,

Look over your Schofield closely. Some Navy Arms Scofields were made by ASM, not Uberti. I'm not sure that ASM parts are the same as Uberti. I have an ASM version (and I have relatively stubby fingers) and I found that lightening the mainspring made cocking much easier. There's a tensioning screw on the front of the grip frame that can be backed out and even filed shorter as needed. On mine, I was able to make the tension much lighter while still keeping reliable primer ignition.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Offline Doc Cuervo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »
Howdy Wadd,

Look over your Schofield closely. Some Navy Arms Scofields were made by ASM, not Uberti. I'm not sure that ASM parts are the same as Uberti. I have an ASM version (and I have relatively stubby fingers) and I found that lightening the mainspring made cocking much easier. There's a tensioning screw on the front of the grip frame that can be backed out and even filed shorter as needed. On mine, I was able to make the tension much lighter while still keeping reliable primer ignition.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

I tried that and unfortunetly I am finding ammunition and primers that are tending to misfire. I suspect that lately in the rush to catch up to the ammo/primer deficet that occure aftr the obamanation election, quality control is not what it used to be.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »
I just had this done on a Navy Arms Schofield, by the Taylor's & Co. gunsmith who said the Uberti Taylor's & Co. hammer just dropped in no problem.  I wanted the checkered more historically accurate looking hammer that the Taylor's & Co. Schofield I have on the Navy Arms Schofield so it was a cinch.  BTW: The Taylor's & Co. gunsmith is a great guy who really took the time to listen to me and followed my directions to perfection.  I was also happy that he was willing to work on a gun they didn't sell me and picked it up and dropped it off at the Nation's Gunshow in Chantilly, VA saving me about $90 in shipping.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
Virginia Gentleman,

Taylors seems to have the corner on good customer service ... would that other companies would learn from then ...

NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
I agree and they have "gentile southern charm" to boot!  ;D  Taylor's realizes that they have to cater to the customer, just like they did in yesteryear.  I also like how Tammy Loy has been very helpful to my wife and I when buying guns at the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, VA every few months or so.  I almost feel guilty if I leave with out buying one from them since they are so nice and helpful.

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
a year ago at GOA Taylors   We were in search of a 44-40  they drug every gun out that they had for us to look at twice. They done it with a smile .
 Great people great service . My place to go when Im in the need

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
I bought a '73 Uberti  Codymatic from Cody Conagher ... and he buys all his guns from Taylors (that should say something right there).

There have been a few times I have called them over the rifle. Even 'though they were not the end seller of the rifle, they acted as if they were and treated me as if I had bought the thing straight from then ....

Now that is class ... very understated and quietly classy.

NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Gents: I could not agree more since they seem to bend over backwards to help the customer which is head and shoulders above some of the other importers in other states.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com