Author Topic: If You Like Frustration  (Read 9352 times)

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If You Like Frustration
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
While any gun can misfire or jam or come apart, based on what I've seen owning a Henry Big Boy nearly guarantees that you won't finish a match without some kinda gun failure. We had 2 new Shooters yesterday and they spent more time fixing the gun than they did anything else they did.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

W. Stick McCullough

Re: If You Like Frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
 Dead horse anyone? Every single manufacturer has detractors and followers. And if you are a detractor it won't matter if they function well or not, they're junk. Yes, I shoot one. Am I a huge fan? No. I'd rather be shooting a '60 or '66. For me it was a matter of right price, right caliber. Is mine flawless? Nope, but it works well enough for this beginner until I can get what I really want.

EDIT: And I do finish matches. Quite regularly without incident. Mine is picky about what it will eat, so I had to do some load development.

Offline TomBullweed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
I have seen a number of new shooters show up with Win 94's or Henry's (not 1860's).  They tend to either develop into faster shooters and move to other rifle models or they shoot slower and enjoy CAS.  Having said this, there are probably some shooters out with either of these guns that can outshoot me.  The Win 94 is a fine gun for the .30-30 but neither iseems to be designed for digesting rounds at the speed of most competitive shooters.

How I wish that an American-based company was making '66s, '73s and '92s here in our nation.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:40:51 AM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
Yep it's a dead horse. :( The best advice we can give any new shooter is do not buy anything, nothing, no guns, no leather, no special clothes untill they have attended several matches. Most cowboy shooters are more than willing to let folks try out thier gear, we're weird that way. ;D I usually take an extra set of guns and/or enough ammo for a potential new shooter to use. Go to some matches, introduce yourself, ask questions, if someone offers to let you shoot a stage with thier gear say yes, and thank you. Something that looks great in an advertisment ain't always what it seems. Good Luck

Jefro :)
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline TomBullweed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
That may be the best advise that I have ever seen on this Internet-thingy.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
That may be the best advise that I have ever seen on this Internet-thingy.

Jefro is a pard to listen to, he gives out good solid advice you can take to the bank, he helped me more than once.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
Howdy...

I own a HBB in 45LC.  I purchased it NIB in 2013, and have used in about 5 matches (I'm a youn'in in CAS).
It was smooth out of the box.  The rifle has never jammed or misfed.  Maybe they made some changes in QC on the newer models, or maybe I just got the luck of the draw. 

The only issue I have with it, is that it can't be tricked out (short-stroked).  Having to do it over again, though, I would go for a '66 or a '73...Should have listened to Pappy Myles!

"It may have not been a clean stage, but at least I was slow..."
Good Troy
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:24 PM »
Good Troy, this is a straight question. No agenda or test. I am curious.

Have you cycled and/or shot a fully tricked out 73 or 66?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Lets keep something in mind ...

One more that likely would not prepare a Prius for Drag Racing.
I think it is a bit like that , the Henry Big Boy was not designed to race....

73's & 66's can be raced , but they too were not designed with that in mind.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline BobbyF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
Hi Pards,

I am a rookie CAS currently deciding which of two Clubs to join. I have a HBB in .357. It is the first and only lever rifle I've shot. I like its looks and I shoot it very well. I haven't shot a timed course yet, but I watched several matches. I would place my self in the top half of the Possie that I watched. I've read most of the forums and especially those on the HBB.
     I have only one concern ref the HBB. That is that I won't be ostracized for not being " Politically Correct " for my choosing to buy the Henry.
After having read the posts of the Pards, would I still buy a HBB, yes (and I truely value the opinions of the Pards ). I have total confidence in rifle's performance and I am very comfortable shooting it. The next meeting/match/practice I'm hoping to get an experienced Pard to shoot the HBB and get his opinion or any suggestions he might have about it's use. Thanks Pards for letting me opine--BobbyF

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
The HBB is legal for SASS... though it does not lend itself to either speed or 19th Century Design... never the less SASS approves it.
By and large, the most CAS matches you may run across are SASS matches.

On the other hand, NCOWS has not approved the Henry Big Boy, nor Winchester ’94 with angle eject or any Modern lever-action rifles in current production equipped with angle eject, ramped front sights , H&R Buffalo Classic and Beretta Renegade.

(The Beretta Renegade is excluded because of the Factory Short Stroke) which is not allowed in any lever-action rifles/shotguns or
Aluminum carriers for toggle link rifles.

I doubt either of the Clubs you're looking at ( being SASS ) will  "ostracized for not being " Politically Correct " for my choosing to buy the Henry"...
rather, I suspect they will be friendly and glad to meet you.

Even NCOWS Posse's are accommodating, and would not send you packing...They would request & require to you to acquire an approved lever gun within one year, should you continue to shoot NCOWS matches  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:07:02 PM »
BobbyF, the HBB is a good rifle. It is a quality rifle. It is a strong rifle. However, I may see one or two HBB in matches around the state. The Winchester 1892 and the Winchester 1894 are good rifles. Strong rifles. Almost no one uses a '94 and a few use the '92. They are not set up mechanically to handle a short straight walled cartridge.
At the next match you attend, have someone show you how the toggle system with elevator captures the round, provides a trough for the bullet to be pushed level and straight into the chamber and rarely jams with correctly prepared rounds.
I can understand you allegiance to your HHB. I have the inexpensive 22lr and it does very well. But not as well as my 22lr that is a replica of an 1866.  ;D

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline BobbyF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:12 AM »
Hi Pards,
    From the rookie again. I want to apologize to Shotgun Franklin for stepping in on his post, I don't have the knowledge or experience to get involved in this discussion. My opinion is just that, an opinion. So far, I am much luckier than the two shooters you watched. Those shooters must have been totally frustrated.
     Red Cent, Judge, I'm sure you are right about the Posse members and their willingness to teach a rookie. The few I met were wonderful people. Thank you for your ideas and moral support --BobbyF

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Get a Marlin,,,have a different jam!
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
Get a Marlin,,,have a different jam!

No kidding LOL!

The HBB and Marlins are like Strawberries and Blackberries, they both make wonderful jams, just a different flavor.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »
Good Troy, this is a straight question. No agenda or test. I am curious.

Have you cycled and/or shot a fully tricked out 73 or 66?

Red Cent.... I've shot a slicked up Rossi '92, and a '73 in in 44-40 (Uberti, I think), but I don't believe they were short stroked.

I've seen other folks at matches with fully tricked 66's and 73's.  Sounds like they are firing semi-auto's! 
Don't know that I'll ever get to that level, but a tricked 66 or 73 is on my wish list....

along with a 45-70 carbine, 1875 Rems, SAA, '97 Win, etc...
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com