Author Topic: Reloading ammo questions  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading ammo questions
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »
Hey Pards,
       I have decided to make the plunge and am requesting re-loading recipes for 45 Colt and 45/70 Govt. These will be for Cowboy action shooting and I am thinking black powder or real blackpowder substitute. I want lots of smoke. I dont know much about this process but if possible I would like to buy powder that would work for both and primers too if possible. If that is not reasonable then hopefully this will be read by some skilled reloaders will be willing to help me out. The 45/70 I will be shooting the reloads through is a Uberti Springfield Trapdoor and the 45 Colt rounds will be shot through my Uberti rifles and pistols, and my Usfa's. I am going to buy pre-made cast lead bullets until I get proficeint re-loading but will then probably start molding my own. Thanks for your time and any help,
                                     Regret Chancy

"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: Reloading ammo questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
Welcome to the world of the TRUE gunpowder.  The first thing you must do is check in with THE DARKSIDERS DEN and read THE DARK ARTS very thoroughly.   Capitals intended!

While we do extol the mysteries of the true powder, it is not so mysterious that it can't be mastered safely and with great satisfaction.

SMOKELESS IS A FAD!!!!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:29:30 AM »
Ditto to Sir Charles's advice.
Plus; Regret, there is one basic rule for B/P loading:- NO AIRSPACE.

You fill whatever case you are loading with Black Powder so that when you seat your bullet, you compress the powder about 1/8th of an inch. Apply a reasonable crimp to hold the bullet in place and prevent it turning in the case mouth, load and fire.

I have done it this way for 30 years and it works for me, other shooters will also have their own methods and opinions, but personally, I always stick by the basic rule:- NO AIRSPACE.

Good Luck, AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:55:57 PM »

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »
Thanks AE and Sir Charles. I have about 3000 rounds of once fired 45 Colt brass and 250 rounds of once fired 45/70 Govt brass that I would like to do them all for CAS shooting. I want to go the blackpowder route because it seems to be the fun side of Living the Spirit of the Game. It would give me some good excuses for when I miss, You know the smoke got in my eyes or obscured the target so I was shooting blind. It seems I have need for some new ones. HA
                                                                                                Regret Chancy
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:57:21 PM »
No Regrets;   Like any new skill, it will take a bit of cut'n try before you start getting good results.  Do your first attempts in small lots, rather than doing them all (Like the Old Bull!) and saying that you are now set for life.

As you pick up new refinements or try new ways ONLY CHANGE ONE THING AT A TIME.  That way you will be certain what works and what doesn't.

Here's wishing you good shooting the natural way; - and NO REGRETS!

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
Hey Pards,
       I have decided to make the plunge and am requesting re-loading recipes for 45 Colt and 45/70 Govt. These will be for Cowboy action shooting and I am thinking black powder or real blackpowder substitute. I want lots of smoke. I dont know much about this process but if possible I would like to buy powder that would work for both and primers too if possible. If that is not reasonable then hopefully this will be read by some skilled reloaders will be willing to help me out. The 45/70 I will be shooting the reloads through is a Uberti Springfield Trapdoor and the 45 Colt rounds will be shot through my Uberti rifles and pistols, and my Usfa's. I am going to buy pre-made cast lead bullets until I get proficeint re-loading but will then probably start molding my own. Thanks for your time and any help,
                                     Regret Chancy

I cast and load and shoot both calibers .  But with smokeless powder .

I would like to recommend the Lee cast iron turret press .  Plus the Lee carbide handgun dies and the deluxe set of Lee .45-70  dies .  I will have to look up the part numbers or you can call Lee to put together a neck sizing .45-70 die .  And maybe a ,45-70 "M" die ( Lyman ? ) .

Throw in the Lee disk powder measure and riser.

You will be surprised how many rounds of loaded ammo you can turn out .

God bless
Wyr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
Reget;  How is your venture to the Dark Side coming along?  I have a lot of LEE kit as well and have found that it works about as well as other coloured stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com