Author Topic: Reloading 44-40?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading 44-40?
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
Been busy loading ammunition for this CAS season, and recently discovered that all of my RELOADED 44-40 cartridges (Hornady and Remington) would not chamber in my newer Uberti 44-40 revolvers. These same reloaded cartridges WILL chamber in my 24 year old Uberti '75 Remington clone. All NEW cases (Remington) that I've loaded will chamber in both old and new, and I don't resize new brass. I use a Lee die set. Is the problem my sizing die, or what???
Thanks,

Bangor Dan

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: Reloading 44-40?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
My LEE dies had to be shortened about 15 'thou to make ammo fit one of my old Vaqueros.

You might also try smaller bullets.  I use .427 for both Vaqueros and a re-lined Win '73.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »
It is a rare WCF shooter who has not had to shorten the sizing die, or better yet remove some material from the deck of the shell holder to get the shoulder set back sufficiently for use in properly sized chambers.  I know I've had to alter the sizing stage to get case that fit my gunz.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:55:17 PM »

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
I load .427 bullets.
Guess I'll have to look into fiinding someone who can shorten my sizing die. I do find it interesting that the chambers in my '76 vintage Uberti '75 Remington are so forgiving in comparison to Uberti's made in the last few years.

Much appreciated, pards.

Bangor Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
A lathe with a tool post grinder will do the job.  It aint rocket surgery, so a friend with a hobby set-up could do it.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
When I first started loading .44-40's for my Old Model Ruger Vaqueros (AFTER Ruger opened the chambers, but not the throats), I found that Remington brass was just too thick in the neck.  I went to Winchester brass, and load .430" dia. bullets, and have never looked back! :)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Rebel Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »
I use .430 buleitos, and W/W, and Starline Brass no problems. I have to full size, and crimp, or they won't fit.

Rebel Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:01:25 AM »
I never went the .430 re-chambering route. Didn't have to.  The Rugers work well with .427 bullets as-is, and the re-lined Win '73 likewise.  I looked on it as an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
I never went the .430 re-chambering route. Didn't have to.  The Rugers work well with .427 bullets as-is, and the re-lined Win '73 likewise.  I looked on it as an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

My reference to "rechambering" on the original series (#55-XXXXX) OM Ruger Vaqueros concerned a gun that would not even chamber FACTORY AMMO, at least on SOME of the chambers.  This was a manufacturing error.  Due to the minimal amount of metal that would have had to be removed, both a noted pistol smith, Clymer Manufacturing (makers of chambering reamers), and Ruger felt there was a high probability of a reamer chattering.  Ruger agreed to fix the problem.  I can't say for certain, but I'd bet they replaced the cylinder.  They did leave the throat diameters at .425"!  After experimenting, I determined that using hard-cast commercial bullets (BHN 17-22), of .430" dia., the bullets would (apparently) squeeze down and then, due to residual stresses in the bullet metal matrix, would re-expand after passing through the chamber throats.  The gun is capable, by actual test, of firing 1-5/8" five-shot groups at 25 yds...when my eyeballs and hands co-operate  :P.  When SASS went to 2 guns, I was unable to find another .44-40, but obtained a .44 Magnum.  I had had the first gun fitted with a .44 Magnum cylinder, interchangeable with the replacement .44-40 cylinder.  I was fortunate enough to find a .44-40 cylinder with the looser chambers, but the .425" throats in the chambers, and had that fitted to the 2nd gun, giving me a pair of convertables, which I still shoot (when I have the time to get to matches  :( )   Toward the end of the run of OM .44-40's, Ruger enlarged the throats to .430-.431".  But, since mine shoot so well (when I do), I figured if they ain't broke...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
The one Old Vaquero that had a too tight chamber was a 55 series, as well.  The 56 series was looser, but still with .426 chamber mouths. The 55 did accept factory ammo.

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
The only cartridge I plan on reloading will be for the rifle. I'm planning on using a Uberti Yellowboy. Will I have these same problems in 44-40?
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com