Author Topic: Sheffield Bowie Knife  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sheffield Bowie Knife
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »

Super Rare shell pommel Ivory hilted Sheffield Bowie Knife. This is one of the best Bowies sold at the 1997 William R William Butterfield and Butterfield auction. It is photographed in color full page (94 +95) with description that read as follows... "Bowie Knife by Thomas Turner, Sheffield, Circa 1845. The 9 inch clip point blade with 4 1/2 inch sharpened false edge. Ricasso stamped Thomas Turner & Co/Sheffield and with Turner's trademark. Left blade flat retains traces of etched legend KENTUCKY. Cast German silver hilt, crossguard, pins, double escutcheons and scallop shell pommel. Ivory grip scales. Leather sheath embossed on both sides. German silver throat and fluted tip. Length overall 14 1/8". Condition: Excellent overall with a few light patches of pitting and two aeas of deeper pitting. Several age cracks to scales on both sides and with two livers missing on reverse scale. Note: Illustrated on page 8 of Bowie Knives Origin and Development, October 1979, La Commission des Avoyelles, Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana." This knife is one of the absolute best that I have ever seen by Thomas Turner. It is one of only a handful that have this hilt style with the shell pommel. Overall it is a fine Bowie. There is now a minor missing chip on the face side of the hilt in the Ivory. The rest of the knife and sheath are in great condition. The fluted tip on the sheath is also a rare and desirable feature. $25,000.00
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sheffield Bowie Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:21:37 PM »
Another beauty. Sharpened clips are rare on Sheffield bowies. Is it known whether this one came sharp from the maker, or was sharpened later by the owner?

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »
 Kid there was no more information on the auction site other than what I posted.
I sure wish there was because I would like to know wether it was sharpened at the factory
or if it was done by the owner myself.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:13:36 AM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »
What a beautiful knife.  Got to wipe the drool off my shirt!  ::)  :o  ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com