Author Topic: 45 Schofield Loading Tube & Case Construction *** Photos Added ***  (Read 17700 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 45 Schofield Loading Tube & Case Construction *** Photos Added ***
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
Hi rifle,

Unless I've missed someone, there are seven companies currently selling reproduction Blakeslee Cartridge Cases also known as "Quickloaders", all in the original caliber 56-50. Indicated prices may have changed since this post was first offered.

(1) Taylors & Co. has a six tube model with tins and strap selling for $277.00;

(2) SS Firearms has a six tube model with tins and strap selling for $150.00;

(3) Blockade Runner has a six tube model with tins and strap selling for $99.95; and

(4) the Romano Rifle Co. apparently offers both a 6 and 10 tube model - but, when I click on their web site for pricing information, nothing happens, the pricing information never appears. If you know the pricing schedule for their Blakeslees, please post them or PM them to me.  

(5) http://www.civilwarleather.com. It's a wood block drilled for six or ten tubes (included), leather wrapped, with sling and marked "Blakeslee Cartridge Box, U.S., Patd December 20, 1864, R.Gaylord, Chicopee, Mass.". Price is around $225 plus shipping for either the six or ten tube models:  

(6)  http://www.Heritageleathercw.com has a 6 tube Blakeslee complete with strap for $267.75:

(7)  http://www.periodleather.com/products.cfm?CatID=3 has a 6 tube Blakeslee, complete, for $210.00

The above info came from this thread of three years ago ::) ::) ::)  Check it out ;D ;D

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,13249.msg166494.html#msg166494

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

12 th Illinois

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »
I drilled the holes 5/8 inch. I have a bench top drill press. The bit wasn't long enough for the block, so I had to go through each end. Naturally they didn't quite line up, but a round rasp took care of that.

Offline Capt'n Jack

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
"I can't see how a split wood piece could be routed to make the half holes and glued together when there would be three rows of holes so close together. "

Rifle, you are just think too much in the present, with most wood available being 3/4" thick.  However, using a center piece of full 1" thickness leaves 1/4" in the middle (assuming 3/4" holes) and that is the center piece only, with the outer pieces made of 3/4" they have 3/8" to play with.  Total thickness for 6 tube box would be 2 1/2" which I think is slightly small in size.  Remember that you are routing a 3/4" hole but only to half depth in each board side. Much easier and quicker then drilling and I would bet the originals were made this way.  Long boards could be routed and cut to length quickly.  Gluing would not have been a problem.  Does not require any particular skill, expensive drill press and bits and works.  At the time these were made machine planed lumber was cut to whatever size you needed, and did not come from the local Lowes.  By the way, routers of the time were simply planes with a half round cutting blade.  The tool would do the job quickly in soft poplar wood.

I note that in at least one replica the tubes are much closer together and since the wood is not subject to much stress one probably does not need more then 1/4 border at any point so a 2 X 3 inch block would do it.  I therefore stand by my original assessment of the process.  Captn Jack
Capt'n Jack was my great great grandfather, a Captain of the Ky Cavalry in the Civil War.  He lived to a ripe old age.

Advertising

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com