Author Topic: Did anyone like 'into the west' on tnt?  (Read 16246 times)

Offline Cheyenne

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Did anyone like 'into the west' on tnt?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 03:23:12 PM »
Hey Scout,  I agree, Jacob should be dead if he was hurt bad enough for his kin to leave him behind.  And an hour and a half is way too long to cut off a leg......and several other points are being stretched way too far!

Kinda turned me off at the "Free Stater Meeting" with Lane (no relation) leading on a tirade about Bushwhackers and Quantril....then who "rides" into the meeting, but a deranged Quantril!  Sorry, Quantril would've shot Lane down had that have happened....and Lane and his Jayhawker buddies were about as bad as they come along the Kansas-Missouri border!  Oh yeah, the "meeting" took place before the war?

They made the missouri boys look like they wetre the ones causing all the problems along the border....I prefer the way things were portrayed in Ride with the Devil, it showed that both sides were capable of autrosities.

Well, now I'll have to watch it to see how they protray the Sand Creek Massacre!
Well..........Bye!

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 06:56:02 PM »
I have seen all three episodes and somehow it just seems to miss the mark.  I'm can't really put my finger on what's missing, but it seems like something is.  Perhaps I have just been spoiled by the likes of "Lonesome Dove" and "Tombstone".   Maybe it's because there are too many plot lines going at the same time; don't know.  I guess I expected something better from Spielberg.

JR

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 11:13:10 PM »
For someone who made great series such as "Band of Brothers" I can't believe how bad "Into the West" is.

unlike jrdudas

I'm can't really put my finger on what's missing

I CAN tell you what is missing.  A good plot line, good acting, good writing, good historical research, etc., etc.

This series is just slow, tedious, ridiculous and way too PC.  I can't believe anyone in their right minds would think the pioneers would be as inane and stupid as these characters.

I guess I was just expecting too much. Now I watch it for the comedy factor.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:45:15 AM »

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 05:18:42 AM »
Kinda turned me off at the "Free Stater Meeting" with Lane (no relation) leading on a tirade about Bushwhackers and Quantril....then who "rides" into the meeting, but a deranged Quantril!  Sorry, Quantril would've shot Lane down had that have happened....and Lane and his Jayhawker buddies were about as bad as they come along the Kansas-Missouri border!  Oh yeah, the "meeting" took place before the war?

They made the missouri boys look like they wetre the ones causing all the problems along the border....I prefer the way things were portrayed in Ride with the Devil, it showed that both sides were capable of autrosities.

Cheyenne,

Yep, I almost up and turned it off at that point!  Extremely biased presentation.  Lane, to me, was much worse instigator than Quantrill ever was.

"Ride with the Devil" is still one of the best on the subject.

Did you notice that the "Quantrill" character actuallly looked more like Bloody Bill Anderson? 

US Scout

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 05:25:04 AM »
I'm can't really put my finger on what's missing
...I can't believe anyone in their right minds would think the pioneers would be as inane and stupid as these characters.

Pukin Dog,

If you've read Larry McMurtry Lonesome Dove books, especially the ones that take place before the trail drive, you'd come to that conclusion real easy.  As I was reading them I was wondering how we managed to get off the boats in New York, let alone get across the country and settle it. 

But you're right, the series has become way too PC and the script is mediocre at best.  I don't find it particularly slow or tedious, but it does become mundane, trite, and ridiculous at times.....Hollywood at its best!

US Scout

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2005, 10:36:28 AM »
After watching all of episodes 1,2,3 & 5, and part of episode 4, I am still of the opinion I stated in my earlier post.  For all the effort that must have gone into the making of this series it just comes up short.  Story lines seem to be left unfinished and at least in the first couple of episodes the over-riding impression I got was "just how dumb were these folks".  I can't believe that for every one person who survived the trip and the beginning of a new life on the frontier there were four or five who died along the way.  That's a pretty low survival rate.

There seems to also be a lack of action and maybe this is on purpose.  Certainly there were times when their life was mundane but even everyday events can be presented in a more interesting way.  I found pretty much the same to be true of the miniseries remake of "Little House on the Prairie"  Historical accuracy was questionable and most of the characters were portrayed as dunces.  All-in-all, I'm disappointed with both productions.

JR

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 07:18:28 PM »
Well I give it most of 4 episodes and it still s___s sorry! I  have to agree about leaving Jacob they could have at lease gave him a mercy killin'.

Be quiet frank Rider of the Purple Sage was better.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 03:04:11 PM »
I thought I saw all the episodes,but somehow I managed to miss the last hour of Episode 3.

Who did the casting for Margaret Light Shines? The older version has far more Indian features than the younger one did, and somewhere along the line the younger one must've gotten collagen injections into her upper lip.

White men, in general, are portrayed as cruel idiots. Women are smart, indians are peaceful. The Sand Creek Massacre could have been sub-titled "The death of Ethan by the nasty white man."

No, I don't know why I am still watching it.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 07:12:22 PM »
I started out as a proponent but as the story progresses, I am liking it less.  Too bad. :(
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Shoshone Slim

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 07:18:41 PM »
Was that "proponent" or "propellent"? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
Was that "proponent" or "propellent"? ;D ;D ;D

Ah done spent three hars gettin' mah eenglish all purty fer yens an' look how ya treet me!"  ;D ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Shoshone Slim

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »
Well at my house Into the West stunk so bad the kids thought that it was one of my beans and boiled egg propellants. :o ;D

Offline Angus McKechnie

• Active citizen
    • Tombstone Tea & Literary Society
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 01:16:29 PM »
Basically, one big bore. It doesn't even have any good action scenes to compensate for the poor storyline, lack of historical accuracy, or anything else for that matter. I like the episode "depicting" the Fetterman Massacre- where was the infantry? Also, I was unaware that Ft. Phil Keaney was made from adobe. Must have been interesting making adobe bricks in the wintertime. What a waste- I would have expected better given the budget and Spielberg... ::)
Angus McKechnie SASS 9509L
NCOWS 2465

Offline thehairlessone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 05:09:09 AM »
I really tried to watch the first 3 but couldnt stay interested and didnt even see the last 3.

rick

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 09:49:13 AM »
Big, Bad, howiser totin longknives 'n ignortant, bloodthirsty, whiteyes mak' much bad minisiries. Wal Pilgrim Ah herd oncet thet P.C. spelt backwards stands fer 'cowpatties' 'n didn't Robert Weeler say in one o the episoades thet "history is written by the winners' r sumthin ta thet effect? Now that thet part o history is past we're writtin 'revisionest' history trin ta make the conquerers look lik villins when thar were villins on both sides. 'n besidesdidn't you hafta bee thar ta mak yer choice? thar were whites what became indian 'n indians what became fer all intents 'n purposes lived as white.

"Judge not thet ye be not judged"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »
Couldn't get into it, plus it has a revisionist feel to it, or at least I thought I detected that.  I cannot conceive of how the anti-gun Steven Spielberg could understand what the West was about.

Offline law dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »
Well I sat through the whole shebang and it was a very boring expierience.  Kerri Russell The Felicity girl was billed as one of the major stars and she was in only one episode.  I'm glad most westerns aren't like that or I wouldn't be a fan of the genre.  It seems like more and more movies are making the frontier white man out to be a dumb dirty scum bag who only wants to rape and pillage.  And get drunk alot.  Could this be hollywood trying to erase the 30's-50's buscadero clean cut era?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com