Author Topic: Winchester -94 or -73  (Read 13654 times)

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester -94 or -73
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:10 AM »
Starting a new thread instead of highjacking another ::)

Thinking on buying a .44-40 and i have been offerd a Winchester -94 and a Uberti -73
Unfortunatly can't aford both, the Uberti is more than twice the price of the Winch but
what are the for and against each modell?

Planing on using it for mainly blackpowder CAS,
 but want's to use it for some recreational hunting loads to. :-\
Thank you for your input.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Winchester -94 or -73
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
I shoot the holy black in my 73 and I use the same load for deer hunting. Never shot smokeless in it. I think for looks and smoothness that you can't beat the 73.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
There is no comparison between a 94 and a 73 for CAS shooting.  The 73 is far and away better.  The 94 was designed for rifle length cartridges (.30-30, .38-55, etc.) and the action works poorly and roughly with pistol length cartridges.  Spend the extra money for the 73 if the primary use is CAS shooting.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:28:00 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
Qball;  I have always heard that the model 94's in shorter calibres have feeding problems.  

The model '73, though more expensive will serve you MUCH better.  I understand that top shooters use the '66 or '73 as they work better than any of the others at higher speed.  Also, the '73 is true to our period.

In England, my son is looking for a cas rifle, and the '94s are a lot cheaper, but I strongly discouraged him from getting one.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »
Thank's for your wise words. -73 hands down then, lets se if the seller take my offer.

How hevy loads does the -73 take before it destructs?
is is posible to take pyrodex to overload pressure in the -73?
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »
Thank's for your wise words. -73 hands down then, lets se if the seller take my offer.

How hevy loads does the -73 take before it destructs?
is is posible to take pyrodex to overload pressure in the -73?

I just noticed that Uberti have the -73 in 44mag, so i guess that it can take a good beating after all. ::)
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1873_rifle_and_carbine.php
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
A little late but:

I started with a '94 in .45 Colt. It always worked, never jammed and shot well, as in accurate. I later stumbled on a great deal on a Uberti '73 also in .45 Colt. It's just as accurate, a little harder to strip to clean, way faster, way slicker and looks much cooler. If you have the money go with the '73.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
There is no comparison between a 94 and a 73 for CAS shooting.  The 73 is far and away better.  The 94 was designed for rifle length cartridges (.30-30, .38-55, etc.) and the action works poorly and roughly with pistol length cartridges.  Spend the extra money for the 73 if the primary use is CAS shooting.

+1

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:17:44 AM »
I just noticed that Uberti have the -73 in 44mag, so i guess that it can take a good beating after all. ::)
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1873_rifle_and_carbine.php

Hmm......have been discussed here.  :-\
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,30606.0.html
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »
A little late but:

I started with a '94 in .45 Colt. It always worked, never jammed and shot well, as in accurate. I later stumbled on a great deal on a Uberti '73 also in .45 Colt. It's just as accurate, a little harder to strip to clean, way faster, way slicker and looks much cooler. If you have the money go with the '73.

You must be talking about a 94 Marlin.  No way in heck that a 94 Winchester is easier to strip and clean than a 73.  Most people can't even get a 94 Winchester apart.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »
You must be talking about a 94 Marlin.  No way in heck that a 94 Winchester is easier to strip and clean than a 73.  Most people can't even get a 94 Winchester apart.

Interesting, I never thought a 94 Winny was hard at all, have heard it's hard, but with a good diagram it's very easy.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
Interesting, I never thought a 94 Winny was hard at all, have heard it's hard, but with a good diagram it's very easy.

So you are saying a 94 Winchester is easier to take apart than a 73?  If so, then you are the only person I know of that thinks so.  I suppose 92's are also easier to strip than a 73?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
Qball,

A mentioned before, the '94 was designed for rifle length cartridges.  Most are rough and hiccupy with pistol length cartridges.  Not a good choice.  From the more recent items manufactured by Winchester, there are one of two types.  Those that work almost well, and those that don't work.  Most common are those that don't work. 
If you get one that doesn't work, it will cost almost as much as the purchase price of the rifle to get someone to make it work, IF it ever will.  Most ........ don't.  I don't work on pistol caliber '74s.  It's a waste of my customers money.
They are not fun to take  apart and put together either.
Unless you have real need for a fancy handle for a high-lift jack, or a 3 foot tent peg, I'd suggest you pass on the '94.

Coffinmaker

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 05:21:11 AM »
Thank's for all your advise pard's.
I used to have a Rossi 92 in .45Colt but sold it when i broke my sholder (falling down the stairs)

I had no problems with it, and brake it down for cleaning was simple (using Marauders tips.)
Sold all my .45Colt reloading equipment at the same time, must have been some painkillers i was on. ::)

Never mind, i got a great deal on .44-40WCF set up instead. (Brass, bullits and tools)
I just need to find me a good rifle that i can afford, (no respond from either -94 or -73 seller yet)
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
Thank's for all your advise pard's.
I used to have a Rossi 92 in .45Colt but sold it when i broke my sholder (falling down the stairs)

I had no problems with it, and brake it down for cleaning was simple (using Marauders tips.)
Sold all my .45Colt reloading equipment at the same time, must have been some painkillers i was on. ::)

Never mind, i got a great deal on .44-40WCF set up instead. (Brass, bullits and tools)
I just need to find me a good rifle that i can afford, (no respond from either -94 or -73 seller yet)

Well, why not another 92 in 44-40?  You mentioned hunting loads.  The 92 can easily handle warmer loads with no
problems.  Price should fall between the 94 and 73.   :)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »
So you are saying a 94 Winchester is easier to take apart than a 73?  If so, then you are the only person I know of that thinks so.  I suppose 92's are also easier to strip than a 73?

No reread my post a couple times, I said a 94 is not hard to take apart and put back together, doesn't take a real high level of skill. 

No reread my post a couple times, I said a 94 is not hard to take apart and put back together, doesn't take a real high level of skill.

(Wrote it twice that time so there is no mistake as to what I said.) ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »
Since i'm not a speed demon shooting competitor, I bought a Mod 94  45 colt last summer and I like it . Wth factory rounds it is dead on and as smooth as my old Marlin 33-00. I cant say  about the '73  .
 I own an original 73 in .32 win.  and it is about the same as far as cycling  a round  and its not near as heavy.
 For the money I decided on a winchester strictly because of the name thing. I was able to find an older one new in the box and since I have all 45  pstols it just fit. But then I'm not concerned with looking like a cowboy from a specific period. But I like it and I do try to buy American when I can.

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:39:06 AM »
Well, why not another 92 in 44-40?  You mentioned hunting loads.  The 92 can easily handle warmer loads with no
problems.  Price should fall between the 94 and 73.   :)

True.
But the -73 seller want's one of my revolvers, and the -94 is a dirt cheap comoderative (cheyenne)
(Yea.. the gold will have to come of )
Have not seen any .44-40 secondhand Rossi here in Sweden, can't afford a new one.

I do have other rifles for hunting (6.5x55 mausers) so it wont be necessary to use the .44-40, but fun  ::)
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »
Just out of curiousity Qball, what kind of price ranges are you facing?  How many Kronos would a '73, '92, or '94 cost?

Through the years, I've bought 3 original 1873's.  The first one - a .32-20 - went to the gunsmith for a rebuild (almost 14 years ago), and I haven't seen it since.  Still fighting to get it back.  The second one I bought at a gun show, the bore was so rotten, but the price was right.  I traded it rather than stick a new barrel on it.  And kicked my ass for the last 11 years, until I bought a shootable specimen this last fall.  It will reside in my gun locker until I am dead.  I also have an original '92 with a mint bore that I shoot all of the time.  I would have to cast my vote to buy the suitable frame rifle in .44-40.  If you want an 1894, get one in .38-55.  That way you can load black powder or pyrodex in it with no worries.

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
Just out of curiousity Qball, what kind of price ranges are you facing?  How many Kronos would a '73, '92, or '94 cost?

Well mr Johnson, i did a quick search and this is what i found.
bygelrepeter = lever action

http://www.torsbohandels.com/vapen/lager
http://www.svartkrutskallaren.com/gevar.htm

Unfortunatly i dont have much money to spend on my self so i'm relying on trades.
And these stores dont do trades that well, at least not to my advantage :-\
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com