Author Topic: Shooting from the hip  (Read 33148 times)

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
Re: Shooting from the hip
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:30 AM »
Just a bit of clarification, the Weaver stance was formalized in the 1950's not the '70's.
Not that 20 years in the mid 1900's has a bearing on the Grand Scheme as it applies to the 19th century. ;)

Have a good one.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
I suspect it would be awkward for me to draw and then shoot with my middle finger. I'll probably try just shooting like this (without the draw) at the range this weekend, just to see how it feels.

One of the things I've enjoyed about shooting NCOWS is the variety of targets that I've been able to shoot at. I find that shooting at the range is more "zen" and I enjoy it very much, but for just plain high energy fun it doesn't compare to shooting at matches. I'm very grateful that I've been able to discover both.

I guess my excitement and enjoyment has been high-profile to those around me. Last Saturday my youngest brother bought a Charcoal Blued '58 Remmie NMA and a Chiappa Armi 1892 from Oklahoma Tom. He'll be out shooting with me soon. I was quite delighted that the first thing my brother asked when told that the Remmies' had a Charcoal Blue finish was, "is that period correct?"

One thing interesting about those illustrations; both the top one and the fifth one (titled "the drop") show the gun held high, aiming at the head. I can understand it in the top illustration, it looks like they're trying to intimidate each other and I'm sure a gun in the face is quite intimidating. However in a situation like "The drop" it seems to me you'd want your gun aimed at the torso, which is less likely to be easily moved out of the way if your target decides to try to dodge and run away.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
...However in a situation like "The drop" it seems to me you'd want your gun aimed at the torso, which is less likely to be easily moved out of the way if your target decides to try to dodge and run away.

An interesting point. Although the draw back to holding the gun lower is you're putting it in the reach of his hands. He could then push the gun away with one hand while drawing his own gun and gut shooting you.

Glad to hear your brother is going to start shooting with you.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:58:24 PM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »

In fact SHB will tell you about a shoot we were at where the shoot sat on one side of a poker table and shot a IPSC cardboard target on the other side of the table. When I shot it the BP loads in my 8 1/2" Remington left the target

The KVC actually built a target out of "fire-proof" foam, to be shot a close range.  We burnt a large hole in the middle of it.
The last time we used it in a match, a bird had built a nest in the hole. [No birds were injured in the course of fire.]

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
If I remember right, Books, that was specifically when Lone Gunman unloaded both barrels of his BP front-stuffer s X s at point blank range. ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
I'll bet that was tasteful without being gaudy.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
I guess my excitement and enjoyment has been high-profile to those around me. Last Saturday my youngest brother bought a Charcoal Blued '58 Remmie NMA and a Chiappa Armi 1892 from Oklahoma Tom. He'll be out shooting with me soon. I was quite delighted that the first thing my brother asked when told that the Remmies' had a Charcoal Blue finish was, "is that period correct?"

Kevin.....ya should have talked him into a rifle a little more in line as the same era as the 58 remmie.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »
For clarification, I don't have a problem with the point and shoot at targets a very close range. (Which is probably how the vast majority of gunfights played out.) In fact SHB will tell you about a shoot we were at where the shooter sat on one side of a poker table and shot an IPSC cardboard target on the other side of the table. When I shot it the BP loads in my 8 1/2" Remington left the target smoldering. SHB enjoyed it so much I let him shot the stage with my Remington too. What I am concerned about is shooting at targets set out a ways.

I had a ball!  As I recall, I tried to set the target to smoldering, too ... but I only remember the laughter and the immense grin on my face!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »
If I remember right, Books, that was specifically when Lone Gunman unloaded both barrels of his BP front-stuffer s X s at point blank range. ;D

I don't think LG was shooting at the "fire-proof" target for that stage. 

The stage had a no-shoot target at close range (paper/cardboard) that was in the way and had to be shot around.  LG blew a hole (both barrells of a 14" shotgun) in the no-shoot target, creating a "window" to shoot the other targets.  :o :o

It was pretty cool.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
I don't think LG was shooting at the "fire-proof" target for that stage. 

The stage had a no-shoot target at close range (paper/cardboard) that was in the way and had to be shot around.  LG blew a hole (both barrells of a 14" shotgun) in the no-shoot target, creating a "window" to shoot the other targets.  :o :o

It was pretty cool.

Books

that would fall into the category "Improvisation" would it not?
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2010, 09:17:51 AM »
that would fall into the category "Improvisation" would it not?

Improvise; Overcome; and Adapt!

Words to live by!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »

Howdy All

Shooting from the hip is a lot of fun, we never had any accidents, and by using wax loads at close range targets it was safe for all, unlike fast draw, you would simply draw your gun as you normally would, but shoot from the hip, we had RED wax bullets that would mark the targets well enough to be seen easily, most hip shooting was done in close quarter fighting, so the targets were close in as Steel Horse was talking about, you would be surprised how good you can get doing this practice, it's a sharpening  of hand and mine coordination, in other words, " Becoming ONE with your gun "  point/ instinct shooting, is a skill that needs to be honed and practiced, you can practice this at home with an unloaded gun, pick a target on your wall or anything away from people or pets, you still need to stay with safe gun handling, see how you do pointing, and later at a range or out in the boony's  using wax bullets makes a great way to practice and learn, and have fun safely doing it, years ago I got proficient enough that I used live ammo for this, but I always did it in safe surroundings and shot with a berm or mountain back ground, but in comp. we always used the WAX BULLETS.
  I'm explaining all this so those that haven't ever done this practice before will have a better understanding of how to do it safely.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »
Probably the greatest hip shooter was the late Bill Jordan. What he could do with a model 19 Smith and Wesson was something else.  No doubt there are a lot of people that can do this well. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
Bill was amazing. I have an autographed 8X10 of him and and autographed copy of "No Second Place Winner".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »

It would be safe if shot with waxed bullets, but that's the only way to safely do it...

There is another safe way.  The Hole In The Wall Gang once had a stage that required the rifle to be shot from the hip.  The target they used was an 8-foot cowboy   :o  and the back berm on that particular stage is a mountain.  ;)

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Texas Lawdog, I have that book also and it is autographed. Have you ever seen a picture of Bill Jordan's hand. It is huge. Of course he was very tall. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2010, 01:19:02 PM »
Bill had huge hands. He served in the Marines during WW2. A friend of my wife who she taught school with knew Bill personally. Her Dad was in the Marines and served with Bill. They always called him "Tex".  This ladies Dad was one of the "Black Sheep" and he broke Pappy Boyington's leg while they were wrestling. Her Dad's last name was Shifflet. He was a 32KCCH.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »
Just a personal observation, but, what was referred to as 'shooting from the hip' back then may well have been what we refer to as 'point shooting' now. Considering the sights installed, point shooting many times was actually more accurate. Case in point, the Patterson Colt I own. Using the sights is nearly dangerous. Eighteen inches high and about four inches to the left.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
Probably the greatest hip shooter was the late Bill Jordan. What he could do with a model 19 Smith and Wesson was something else.  No doubt there are a lot of people that can do this well. Tj

Did you know that Bill Jordan accidentally killed a partner while with the Border Patrol?  ;)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/border_patrol/border_patrol_officer_memorial/alpha_listing_agents/q_z/rector_ja.xml

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2010, 02:44:30 PM »
Fox Creek Kid, I did not know that. Does the web site say how it happened, I'll go there and check it out. Thanks. Tj

Just checked the web site and read about how the accident happened. It does not say who pulled the trigger. Where did you find that it was Bill Jordan? Is it something that is in his book? Tj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com