Author Topic: Planing pattern  (Read 2694 times)

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Planing pattern
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
I have started laying out my pattern for the tooling I am wanting on my holsters. I have a few questions though! The kits that I have are the Cheyenne kits from Tandy, and have a double loop that the body of the holster goes through. I want certain parts of the design to be viewed between the loops. I laid out the design using the board pattern I made from the holster, and tried to line the design up about where I think it will be. Is there by chance an easier method of finding out where the loops will fall on the holster? Below is pic of the design so far!

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Planing pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
Usually, the straps fall into the little valleys in the edge. The swell would be between the loops.
So your top loop would more than likely be going thru the bottom of the blank space, while the bottom one would be at the bottom of the square, possibly cutting part of it off.
Thats just my thought.
Nice pattern too! I like the hidden stuff.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
Usually, the straps fall into the little valleys in the edge. The swell would be between the loops.
So your top loop would more than likely be going thru the bottom of the blank space, while the bottom one would be at the bottom of the square, possibly cutting part of it off.
Thats just my thought.
Nice pattern too! I like the hidden stuff.
DM

OH!!! That makes sense! Well then the designs in the middle needs to come up some to avoid being covered by the loops! Thanks DM! I've been worried sick over that!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:18:18 PM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
Can ya make the loops skinnier?Man that'a a way nice design,very cool~~
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Farmer

• Very Active Citizen
    • Cajun Gunleather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
I often use manilla folders to try a pattern out,.......cut out the holster shape first,..then you can fit it all together and kinda see where everything falls......if that makes sense,...lol,..I might not be  explaining it well,... but just make a holster out of cardboard first,...then you can get the distances! ;D

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
I often use manilla folders to try a pattern out,.......cut out the holster shape first,..then you can fit it all together and kinda see where everything falls......if that makes sense,...lol,..I might not be  explaining it well,... but just make a holster out of cardboard first,...then you can get the distances! ;D

I had thought about that method but didn't now if the material thickness would affect how it all laid together. I've got it traced out on poster board already. I will cut it out and double check it. Should be able to transfer the design to the poster board and just put it together. Thanks Farmer!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
Looks good Amin
Dang I miss the leather work. Last rig I did was an army setup with flap holster, pouch and belt and powder holder. Tooled checkcovers and a couple of small holsters for derringers.

arthritis has taken it away.
keep it up yer doin good.
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »

Howdy amin, if these are patterns from Tandy, then the leather is already cut out, and the slits in the skirt ( back portion of holster )are already there, all you need to do is fold over the main body of the holster and slip it through the holster loops in the skirt, push the holster down to where it should be, you will only be able to push it in to where it needs to be, at this point you will be able to see what will be showing and what won't, you can use a scratch awl to mark these areas and then you will know what you have to work with.

Hope this helped

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com