Author Topic: Through cleaning  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
Through cleaning
« on: January 01, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »
I have found my Dads S&W 1905 Hand Ejector model in 32-20.

It was handed down to me in about 1970-1 and has not been shot since the mid- 60's , 32-20 ammo was had to find as I recall.
My Dad carried this piece during WWII when he was registered with the Coast Guard as a Civilian Coast Watcher.
He never had occasion to use it other than target shooting and the like.

It's been put away, 30 years I say it in about 80-85% condition (with some holster wear and minor surface grime)
The bore is bright w/ one tiny pit , and locks up tight no buggered screws and pinned barrel.

I'd like to do a through cleaning, nothing harsh and return it tom  battery of shooters.
I'm open to suggestions to clean 30+ years of old jelled oil (inside) and light surface grime...

I have some GIBBS Lube coming....
when planets align...do the deal !

44caliberkid

Re: Through cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:40:06 AM »
Take it apart and soak the parts and frame in boiling water with a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid or Simple Green.  That will take off the dried oil.  Then scrub the parts with ballistol and a stiff nylon brush, like a toothbrush.  Use your Gibbs lube while reassembling.  For the exterior, paste wax works better than oil.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
First learn how to take apart a Smith & Wesson...

Unscrew the sideplate screws with a proper screwdriver and remove the grips.

Then - using a mallet, tap around the frame, until the sideplate 'pops' free - do this over a towel, since they can pop all the way out.

Loosen the crane screw, and pull out the crane and cylinder.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory - the above was just a reminder.

If you don't want to use Dawn - which is an excellent grease remover - use Lighter Fluid or Nail Polish Remover, and be prepared to be amazed.

You can leave everything in place, if you do this - with no fear of 'any' water droplets remaining in hiding.

Following that - you can 'hose' it with WD-40, since it'll blow any little pieces out - and drain.

Follow with a good lube -  reassemble and cycle.

When you re-install the sideplate - fit it into the recess and press lightly - don't try to push it in all the way - put your screws in place, and tighten equally, and watch as the sideplate fits itself into place completely.

Good Luck.

Any questions - PM me.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:03:29 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com