Author Topic: Serial Number for a early Spencer Carbine  (Read 6022 times)

Offline devisser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Serial Number for a early Spencer Carbine
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
Since you guys are the expert on Spencers I have been driected to direct my question to the SSS.  Question:  I have a carbine with the serial number 124xx.  It has been converted to a 50/56 and I converted it to centerfire.  (It shoots great as I use it in the N-SSA.)  I would love to get an idea of the unit or state that it was issued to -- either during the Civil War or during the Indian Wars.  Any help would be well received.

I also do living history and it would be a interesting titbit to add to my presentation if I know more of the weapons history.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
Re: Serial Number for a early Spencer Carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »
Without the full serial number, it's impossible to find information on your Spencer. The 12K range is about the earliest for M-1860 carbines. It would have left Tremont Street in October or November of 1863.

I use to shoot Spencers in N-SSA before work and family pushed skirmishing onto the back burner. My old team, the Coastal Rifles, fielded one of the first all Spencer armed repeater teams, if not the first. One of these days, I'll be back on hte line at Winchester!

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
AT,

Several days ago, I sent devisser a request for the complete serial # but he has not responded.  Can't do much without the entire serial #.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:56 PM »

Offline devisser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
Sorry for the lack of information.  I did not realize you needed the complete number.. But!  here it is.  S/N 12484.  I realize this is a early number and was included in the first 1000 received by the gov't in october 1863.  The weapon has been converted to 50/56 and I suspect it has a interesting history.  Just not sure what it is.

Offline devisser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Serial Number for a early Spencer Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
I love shooting in the N-SSA.... But I am not a speed freak and enjoy shooting the fun guns which are not the faster in the world.  I was on the "American Rifleman Series" about the Henry and the Spencer Rifles.  However the two sisters who shoot the Henrys were sexyier then me so received more Air time.  too bad as the Spencer is the better weaom as we all know that Henry's are "wimp guns" compaired to the SPECNCER CARBINE.... :)

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
devisser,

Are you joining SSS?  You are a member of CasCity, but joining SSS is a separate requirement.  You never Emailed me that you were joining 8) 8) 8)  Let me know.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline devisser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
When you first started the SSS I joined.  I even bought the tan baseball cap with the SSS logo on the front.  My old email was (and is still active) is sasscowboy@yahoo.com but I never received anything using that address.  I used my family email which I am not using and received "permission to join the group again.  Sorry about all the mix up.  I am the guy that was shooting the spencer on the American rifleman series  filmed at the N-SSA range in the Spring.

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:19 PM »
Hi devisser,

Are you re-joining SSS?  I don't find your alias on the SSS posse list. I will respond to your comments (in bold & italics) below.  Hopefully we can clear this up!

When you first started the SSS I joined. I have maintained the SSS member list since day one; your alias does not appear as an early member?  Did you have a different alias back then???

I even bought the tan baseball cap with the SSS logo on the front. The link shows all the SSS Members who ordered the tan Spencer cap;  I thought the list was pretty accurate and don't see how I missed anyone.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,7910.0.html

I used my family email which I am not using and received "permission to join the group again. I don't understand this sentence.  Who gave you "permission" to join the group again?

Are you re-joining SSS?  All I need is a yes or no. ;D ;D

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
Follow UP to my last post:

devisser, you did join SSS back in 2005, but you used the alias RFD:  See the copy and paste below.  You can't switch aliases on me like that!  I'm too old to keep it altogether!!!  Shame on you!!!!  I will update and add your name to the posse list.

Two Flints

rfd
Citizen

Re: JOIN OUR SPENCER SHOOTING SOCIETY - REGISTER HERE !
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »      

I own a early Spencer (First of the Carbines received by the Govt in Oct. 63) and it was converted to 50 cal.  I shoot it all the time in N-SSA events.  I would love to see if I can find more information about this Spencer.  Is there any place I can have the s/n traced to see if I can be connected to any unit from either the Civil War or the Indian Wars.  I am also interested in know what the rest of you who shoot the 50 cal cartridge use to load your rounds?  I am thinking of working up a longer range cartridge that would reach out 100yd-200 yds (Maybe using Swiss Powder)..  Any suggestiong would be welcomed  

Report to moderator    Logged  

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 03:06:42 PM »
devisser  aka/ RFD,

Please read my disclaimer

Some time ago I acquired the four volume set of the Springfield Research Service (SRS) Serial Numbers of U.S. Martial Arms. I purchased the set so I could help SSS members identify which unit their original Spencer Carbine or rifle was issued or assigned to during, and perhaps, after the Civil War.

Unfortunately, not all the Spencer serial numbers are listed in the four volume set I own. And, there are gaps between indicated serial numbers. This paragraph is a DISCLAIMER of sorts. As a courtesy to SSS members, I am happy to reveal to you the information I have regarding the serial number of your Spencer carbine or rifle. But, please remember, I am just regurgitating what I read in my SRS volumes with some "unscientific conjecture" on my part . What I do is the following: I take your Spencer serial number and try to place it in between the two closest serial numbers to yours listed in my SRS volume. In most cases, if the serial numbers for the Spencer before and after your own serial number were issued to the same unit, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. Or, if your Spencer serial number is very, very close to another Spencer serial number, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. I call this the “Two Flints guesstimation”).  I’m guessing and estimating at the same time on what I believe to be correct information based upon the information I find in my four volume set of SRS.  If the information is lacking in correctness and or accuracy,  it ain't my fault.  I'm just doing the best that I can do with what I have to work with.  And that is the best that I can do for you.

Having written all the above
, regarding your Spencer Carbine serial # 12484:  Nearest match to your serial #12484 I have is #12465.  Your Spencer Carbine may have been issued or re-issued to a member of  Co D of the 6th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry in 1864.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
by the end of 1863 7000 spencer carbines had been deliverd,but records only record a little over 1000 were listed in field service,these were isued to 2nd NewJersy-417,11thOhio-368,1st West Virginian-177,5th&2nd Michigan-unknown,at the start of 1864 there were3245 spencer carbines in storage and more geting deliverd,this sugests the records of field delivery is not compleat for 1863 (3755 must have been isued) presuming they were isued as deliverd,lickly but not always the case your carbine would have been isued in late 1863 the springfield referbs to 56-50did not see much front line service as by this time there were plenty of new 1865 modles avalible,most of the referbed 1860s stayed in storage till sold on the surplus market,alot ending up in France,but some were yousrd by the railroad,army teamsters& contractors or given out to setlers in hostile areas,such a early spencer must have seen a lot of use and is lucky to survive,how is the condition of the carbine now

Offline devisser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
First of all thanks for the S/N information.  I had a report of a carbine that was also close to mine that was issued to the 6th Ill.  Be interesting to know what happened between October 1863 and 1864.

Sorry for the mix up but I could not remember way back when what name I used.  I will stick to one -- which is my "official name" so I can be legal when I sign in?  (I will remember this time) ???    YES!  I will join SSS

Offline devisser

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
The Spencer Carbine in question is in great shooting shape.  The forearm was cracked and was replaced.  All of the markings can be seen, but it looks like a wire wheel was used on most metal parts.  The barrel has a dark brown finish on it and I raised the front sight so I could shoot it at normal distances.  The action is tight and believe it or not I can use Star brass without any problems.  Be interesting to know if this weapon sat in storage or was used by a soldier who took great care of it.  (When I get my camera fixed I can take some pix for you if you are interested.)

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
devisser,

By all means when you have an opportunity, please post your photos, and if you'd rather Email them to me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net, I will post them for you to accompany the text you provide to explain your photos.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk