Author Topic: Reloading Info for 1860 Brass Frame Henry  (Read 3781 times)

Offline bowmanpa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading Info for 1860 Brass Frame Henry
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:49:26 AM »
Just bought a brass frame Uberti Henry and am looking for reloading info.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Offline bowmanpa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Reloading Info for 1860 Brass Frame Henry
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »
Forgot to say it was 45 LC.

Offline Branding Iron Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:12 AM »
Patrick  D.
AKA Branding Iron Bill SASS 2019
6th generation son of the Texas Republic since 1824
USFA CSS
SCORRS
RATS
A proud Henry owner.
STORM (Love my R-M 44's)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:54:24 AM »

Offline bowmanpa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:48:33 PM »
Here ya go pard.

http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

HTH

Thanks.

I have been thinking about loading either 200gr LRN or 230 gr LRN.  What do you use in your Henry?

Thanks,
Thurston

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:33 AM »

It doesn't make much difference what load you shoot, your going to get a lot of gas blow by.  The straight walled .45 case doesn't expand enough to seal the chamber, so ..........
I like 5gr of Tightgroup with a 200gr RNFP bullet.  Light load but accurate.  You'll have to clean the rifle after each match (at least the Carrier Block), but the Henry is a fun rifle to play with.  I have 4.  Looking for a 5th.  I don't have an "iron frame" yet.

Coffinmaker

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
Howdy

Coffinmaker is basically correct, although it is not the straight case that makes for blowby with 45 Colt.  It is how heavy the case walls are. You don't mention whether you are planning to shoot Black Powder or Smokeless, but in either case, the heavier the bullet, the less blowby you will get. That is because a heavier bullet will delay just a little bit longer leaving the case, allowing pressure to build slightly higher. Higher pressure results in a better chamber seal. I recommend you go with a 250 grain RNFP for your new Henry. Yes, the recoil will be higher with a heavier bullet, but the Henry is a heavy rifle to begin with and you will barely notice the recoil.

If you want minimal blowby, load a stout load with a 250 grain bullet and give it a good, firm crimp. If blowby doesn't bother you, go with a lighter bullet.

You MUST stay within SAAMI specs for your ammo with the brass framed Henry, it is not strong enough for +P type loads. But anything published in a recognized loading manual will be fine. If you don't already have one I strongly suggest you get a good manual. Lee, Sierra, Lyman, and Hornady are all good. I particularly recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Doppelganger

• Citizen
  • SASS #83368
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
Another tip to help reduce blow-by is to only re-size the neck of case to the same depth that you seat the bullet.
When loaded this way, your .45 colts will look like a bottle-necked .44-40.
Make up a dummy one first and try it in all of the chambers of your rifle and pistols to make sure it will fit.

When done along with the before mentioned advice,(heavy bullet, heavy crimp and medium to heavy charge), there
should be very little blow-by.

I've been doing this for about a year now, using .45 Schofields in my .45 Colt  '66 Yellowboy and Open Tops with great success.

(That's success at reducing blow-by, not success at winning matches) :-)
Frontier Cartridge Duelist
Shooter of the Holy Black
Member: Eas'dern Shore Renegades

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com