Author Topic: Schofield as deerhunting sidearm  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Schofield as deerhunting sidearm
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »
It took me a few days of slow filing to get it hitting to point of aim. Well worth it too. Have been out with various rifles but opportunities just werent there. Bad weather circumstances had an effect on deer natural movement so not being all that willing to lug my 28 inch barrel '76 in 45/60 or 1874 Sharps 45/70 up and down mountains during the heat of the day I trusted to my Schofield for walk 'em up stalk hunting. Score 2 shots fired 2 deer down both with head shots at 25 to 40 yards. Well satisfied with time invested for accuracy gained :) Going out for the final 2 days of modern rifle season with my 270 and you guessed it my Schofield. Regret Chancy
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Schofield as deerhunting sidearm
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
You're using a Clone in .45 Colt?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:27:13 PM »
Yep a Uberti Stoeger with 7 inch barrel in 45 Colt. I am running the Remington 225 grain semi-wadcutters through it and have had very good accuracy and consistency with the pistol. I am comfortable to use it at 40 yards or (preferably) less. I wouldnt say that I would try anything any further and I like the head or neck shot much better than taking a chance of richochet or stoppage by the shoulder bone. I know others are completely fine with any rifle,carbine, in 45 Colt as a consistent deer hunting cartridge if the range is reasonable but I am not at that comfort level yet. ;D RC ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:47 AM »

Offline Jrw8214

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:25:17 AM »
Nice to hear someone using standard loads in a Schofield. Might wanna try the Doubletap Standard Load .45 Colt. Same ballistics as the Remington 225 wadcutter, but its a 255 grain swc. Heavier bullet might help a bit.

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:08:26 PM »
Nice to hear someone using standard loads in a Schofield. Might wanna try the Doubletap Standard Load .45 Colt. Same ballistics as the Remington 225 wadcutter, but its a 255 grain swc. Heavier bullet might help a bit.
Where could I order a couple hundred rounds for testing and evaluation?  ??? If the swc type bullets would cycle reliably through my '73 and Henry without hanging up, I would stoke them full and use them also. Maybe someday? RC

Offline Jrw8214

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »
Gracias  :) RC

Offline Jrw8214

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »
Not a problem at all. Let me know how you like it. I plan on making it my ammo of choice for my .45s. Id especially like to know how well it works in a rifle.

Offline Cole Younger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »
Strange.  I only got to go one evening during our regular firearms season here in Kansas.  Short-guns are now legal, but we have no specific Handgun Season.  I carried my Schofield in its Slim Jim holster made down south of me in Edna, Kansas and my Rossi '92 Winchester clone.  The '92 is in 44-40 while the Schofield is in 45 Colt.  Using 250 grain factory round noses in the .45 and 210 grain LSWC's that I cast from sewer pipe and then handloaded, in the WCF.  Saw nothing to shoot at.  My nine-year-old daughter and I had fun though.  She's been hunting with me three or four years now.  This year she started on a .22 and I let her hold the .44 for awhile while I re-situated myself.  Maybe she can carry a gun next year.   :)  Congrats on your own hunt.

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »
I wouldn't think a deer shoulder would stop a .45 Colt SWC.

I shot an axis deer which is about 50% bigger with a .41 magnum 210 grain JSP and it went through one shoulder and lodged up under the off one.  Maybe the extra velocity helped, who knows?  As long as it gets through one shoulder and through the vitals underneath that's good enough.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »
The only .45 Colt load that ever failed on me while hunting was the W-W Silvertip. It broke the leg bone at the shoulder joint but did not put the deer down nor disable him. Luckily I had my son with me so used his rifle to fix my mistake. I was very surprised by that failure but quit carrying ST ammo for personal protection or hunting. I have used a 200 gr FNFP loaded to 930 fps to kill several deer without problem. This bullet happens to shoot to point of aim with my guns.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
A standard load using a 200-300 grain bullet in .45 Colt lumbering along at 830-950 fps with good shot placement will put a deer down at reasonable range no matter what gun it is fired out of.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com