Author Topic: "Chief Shopnigon" Possibly of the Chippewa Tribe  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Chief Shopnigon" Possibly of the Chippewa Tribe
« on: November 21, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »

Superb Native American 1/6 plate tintype studio portrait of a "Chief Shopnigon", posing in elaborate full dress with a pipe in his hands, and a ball club resting against one knee. That's the name written in pencil beneath this image in the album it was in. As the album had Saginaw, Michigan origins, I believe the subject is very possibly of the Chippewa tribe, though I admit I am not expert on this subject, and could find no reference to this name in any internet search. But what a splendid image! There is some loss of focus to the bottom quarter, but that is not a condition issue which is, frankly, as-new. Beautiful clarity and toning with almost no surface marks, and a lovely mat gloss. Uncased. Very rare, both subject and condition.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
Re: "Chief Shopnigon" Possibly of the Chippewa Tribe
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »
The description says "elaborate full dress" but I see material that looks like it's plaid. I'm very ignorant about traditional Native American garb, but I suspect that the Chippawa didn't traditionally wear plaid (that seems more like an Irish or Scottish material to me). Can anyone elaborate on the clothing? Would this be something designed for one of the old 'Wild West' shows?

Also I've never seen a picture of a Native American with a mustache. Is that something that was more likely grown for a show (or maybe a result of the photographer's lighting)?

[Bottom line: I'm trying to learn the difference between Hollywood/Wild West shows and reality.]

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »
The description says "elaborate full dress" but I see material that looks like it's plaid. I'm very ignorant about traditional Native American garb, but I suspect that the Chippawa didn't traditionally wear plaid (that seems more like an Irish or Scottish material to me). Can anyone elaborate on the clothing? Would this be something designed for one of the old 'Wild West' shows?

The plaid of which you speak could easily have been a gift, the result of a trade, etc.  Most of the tribes east of the Mississippi, and a considerable number of tribes west of the Mississippi, made and wore cloth garments, and much of the fabric was acquired through trade with Europeans.  In fact, there is a whole category of fabric called "trade cloth" for fairly obvious reasons.  Don't fall victim to the stereotype that Indians wore nothing but skins.

Also I've never seen a picture of a Native American with a mustache. Is that something that was more likely grown for a show (or maybe a result of the photographer's lighting)?

Again, don't fall victim to a stereotype. I know that men of the tribes of the Southeast (Choctaw,Chickasaw, Cherokee, Creek, Seminole) often sported facial hair, though not nearly to the degree that Europeans did.  I cannot speak for the Chippewa and Ojibwe (collectively aka Anishinabe) on this, but I think Ottowa Creek Bill might.

-- Nighteyes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:35:22 AM »

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
Thanks for the info Nighteyes. I want to align my knowledge with historical accuracy instead of stereotypes - that's exactly why I asked!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com