Author Topic: Shot my new Marlin 1894CB yesterday  (Read 3191 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shot my new Marlin 1894CB yesterday
« on: May 03, 2005, 09:23:11 AM »
I'm new to CAS and am scheduled for a "New Shooter Orientation" this month.  I have two guns, a Stoeger 12ga and a Marlin 1894CB that I have recently acquired.  I fired the shotgun a few months back at the Trap range and while it worked flawlessly, I was not able to hit many clays.  I really bought the gun for CAS however and I expect that it will be fine for that purpose.  I find that I am drawn more and more however to an 1897 Winchester; we'll see. 

As for the Marlin; I went to the range yesterday and fired it for the first time.  My groupings were good but a little low and to the right.  This was from a standing position and unsupported, so I don't plan on making any adjustments just yet.  The action on the Marlin seemed a little less smooth than what I expected, perhaps more lubrication is needed.  I have read that many shooters have their guns "slicked up" but I'm not ready to do that yet.  In any case, I am so far well pleased with the Marlin.  I also fired my Heritage Arms .22 caliber SA for the first time yesterday.  A nice little gun and it seemed relatively accurate.  I have read recently that some clubs have side matches for .22's; I guess I'll find out in a few days if the club I will be attending does this or not.

John

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
Re: Shot my new Marlin 1894CB yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:56:32 AM »
John, I got the same Marlin and I love it, smooth as silk but it sure don't come that way out of the box!

Those sites are adjustable so when you get more used to it just tap them in.  You want that gold dot on the front to represent a bullet hole each time you squeeze her off.

If you are just a little bit handy with tools and have a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers then check out Marauders "Irons" page and look for your rifle.

It's pretty easy to follow along.  It took me about a half an hour to slick up my rifle.  I love it.

Here is the link http://www.marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

I have a Stoeger and a Win97.  As I'm left handed I think I shoot the side by side a little faster, but maybe not.  I like them both.

Good luck with everything!
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 03:20:29 PM »
One thing ya may want to try, if ya don't want to tackle the mods on Marauder's site, is to watch yer favorite Western and cycle the action on yer Marlin. That will help to break it in and smooth it out some.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:42:19 PM »

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 08:26:29 AM »
Thanks for the information about smoothing the Marlin action.  I'm going to shoot it a few more times and then decide whether to perform the "slicking" procedures as described on the web page.  Lots of good info on that web site.

Thanks again,  John

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 07:20:35 AM »
Glad I stop here...I am thinking about the Marlin C.B.rifle. I ordered a Stoeger 2 weeks ago was suppose to be here this week. I could have drove to the plant and back by now.(on my horse) Was wanting to break it in this afternoon. I have always like the Marlin rifles and have good luck with them so when I seen the cowboy model I was sure that was what I wanted... Again like the Stoger I suppose I will have to order seems folks only carry 1 in stock and it's not exactly what you ever want.
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com