Author Topic: For St.George  (Read 1833 times)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
For St.George
« on: October 31, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »
 Here's one real close to the one i found,except mine has a more flaired tip like my big bowie.Notice the little nip at the top of the sheath on the side and on the hand guard there the little hole.Thanks for the refrence A Collection of U.S. Military Knives

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: For St.George
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
This one's the Model 1909 Bolo, made by both Springfield Armory in 1909 and by Fayette R. Plumb in 1917.

The various European knifemakers saw a ready market in the United States for big. fearsome knives - thanks in part to television and movies showing them being carried and fought with.

They tailored their production after Hollywood's sense of 'artistic license'.

This one's not a 'fighting knife' - it's a brush-clearing and minor utility knife for tropical environments from an era when we were in the Philippines and Latin America.

Insofar as this one's concerned - that little hole is designed so that the Bolo doesn't shift position or rattle in the scabbard - the later, follow-on Model 1917 actually used a lock like that in use on the bayonet - though the M1917CT did not.

Now, if it 'says' 'U.S. ARMY' on the blade - it should also say 'HOSPITAL CORPS' above that, in an etched panel.

If so - it's a Model 1887 Hospital Corps Knife - used for the same purposes as above.

They feature what's best described as a 'spearpoint' blade, with a turned handle..

They 'do' make fakes of this one - beware of old men with a lot of 'stuff' to sell...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »
I already know he's a shyster,tried to sale a spit toon to my cousin with a big crack in it for a wad of cash,he says see that little coin on there,that says Chicken Ranch,that thing is OOOOOLLLLDDD brass will split like that when it's old..That stupid spit toon has been in every antique and second hand store in town,looks like it is startin over again...One of those repop toons..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:06:10 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com